Aug 22, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
We have finally reached Notre Dame football media day and sit only nine days away from the first football game of the 2013 season. You can watch head coach Brian Kelly’s media day press conference live on WatchND.tv at 1:30 p.m. ET. Be sure to set your alarm so you don’t miss one of Kelly’s final meetings with the media prior to the beginning of the season.
#Vine4NDGear Finalists Announced
The finalists for our #Vine4NDGear contest have been chosen and voting is open until 11:59 p.m. tonight. The fan vote is all tha matters in the decision. Voting ends next Thursday. Click here to vote for your favorite finalist.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today, in addition to watching media day at 1:30 p.m. (ET) you can watch the Panthers visit the Ravens at 8 p.m. (ET) on ESPN. Kapron Lewis-Moore might not be ready to play as of yet for Baltimore, but you can watch Jimmy Clausen and J.J. Jansen suit up for the Carolina Panthers.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Coming Home To The Dome: Sara Liebscher ’91, MBA ’93 (Irish UNDerground)
- Wayback Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite (Irish UNDerground)
- On The Field With Flutie – Looking At The 2013 Irish (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: George West ’09 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Kevin Deeth ’10 (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Yesterday’s trivia question (What Notre Dame linebacker broke up the pass to secure the 19-18 victory for the Irish?) was first answered correctly by Ross Goetz (@RossGoetz). This is Ross’ third correct trivia answer in the last couple of weeks, and second in as many days. Nonetheless, the answer is Tony Furjancic.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Women’s Basketball – Coming Home To The Dome: Sara Liebscher ’91, MBA ’93 (LINK-Irish UNDerground)
There are many student-athletes that graduate from the University of Notre Dame and enter careers outside of sports after they hang up their uniform for the final time. However, you may not know that some find their way back to Notre Dame to help mold the next-generation of student-athlete in a variety of non-coaching positions. Over the next five days we will present five Notre Dame graduates who have returned to their alma mater to work in a collection of different departments. To read about former Notre Dame women’s basketball student-athlete Sara Liebscher, click the link above.
- 2. Football – Shembo Poised For Breakout Year (LINK-WSBT.com)
Linebacker Prince Shembo has shown glimpses of greatness among the Irish front-seven in the last few years. With the loss of several key pieces in the linebacking corps, it is time for Shembo to make the leap from good to great. To read and watch more about Shembo, click the link above.
- 3. Men’s Soccer – #7 Irish Took Down Drake In Final Exhibition Contest (LINK-UND.com)
After spending the past three days in Des Moines, Iowa, the Notre Dame men’s soccer team will be able to leave with a victory as the seventh-ranked Fighting Irish bested Drake, 2-0, Wednesday night in exhibition action at the Cownie Soccer Complex. To read more about the game, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Notre Dame On College Sports Bucket List (LINK-ESPN.com)
In a story that is written almost yearly, a football saturday at Notre Dame once again made the list of college athletics bucket list items. To read what ESPN.com says about the experience at Notre Dame or to see the rest of the bucket list, click the link above.
- 5. Football – History Lesson: 1966 National Championship Team (LINK-UHND.com)
The guys at UHND.com once again bring the funk with their history pieces that they have written throughout the summer. This time they look at the undefeated 1966 football squad. If you have 10-15 minutes free today this is a must-read item. Click the link above to learn about the 1966 Notre Dame championship season.
Brown Spends Summer In The Sand (UND.com) – Notre Dame volleyball student-athlete Sammie Brown spent the summer in the sand, honing her skills for the upcoming season.
Irish Women’s Lacrosse Brings In Stellar Recruiting Class (UND.com) – Inside Lacrosse magazine dished out high praise to the University of Notre Dame women’s lacrosse program recently as it ranked Notre Dame’s incoming class No. 5 in the country after three Irish newcomers earned top-25 rankings in the magazine’s rising freshmen list.
Former ND Men’s Basketball Coach Digger Phelps Releases New Book (WNDU.com) – Digger Phelps has penned another book, this time entitled “Coaching the Streets” – a book that looks at his efforts to stop youth violence.
Disregard the product that Golden Tate is peddling in his tweet and look over his right shoulder …
— Golden Tate (@ShowtimeTate) August 22, 2013
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) August 22, 2013
— Jimmy Clausen (@JimmyClausen) August 22, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
If this doesn’t get you ready for football season, I don’t know what will.
With the victory over Drake to cap their exhibition slate, let’s talk about men’s soccer…
Head men’s soccer coach Bobby Clark had 544 career appearances in professional soccer, including 17 with the Scotland national team. What world-famous coach was Clark’s manager for four years while he played for the Aberdeen Football Club?
You will find the answer in Friday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- M. Golf. Irish End First Day at Prestige at PGA West
- W. Soccer. Norman ('07) Named Notre Dame Women's Soccer Head Coach
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Roll Into ACCs For Conference Championship Meet
- Track & Field. Yared Nuguse Named ACC Track Performer of the Week
- Fencing. Irish Youth Perform Well At Junior Olympic Championships
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Kristina Nelson hit career highs in 3️⃣ categories as No. 5 @ndwbb downed Boston College on Sunday. Don't miss Kri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 33 minutes ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb in the newest episode of Podward Notre Dame. The storytellers of Fighting Irish Med… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- 🥇 Samantha Viqueira 🥇 Stephen Ewart @NDFencing recorded top performances at the Junior Olympic National Champions… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- After @NDCoachNorman was introduced as the newest head coach of @NDSoccer, the well wishes poured in from around th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- No. 19 @NDSwimDive is gearing up for action at the 2018 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships, starting Wednesday!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago