Aug 23, 2013, 8:44 AM EST
Football media day has now come and gone. The only thing that stands between Notre Dame football and the present time is unfortunately a whole week. Yesterday at media day there were a few tidbits of news that you should be aware of. Tony Springmann is done for the season due to injury … Matthias Farley shaved his beard and is now clean shaven … the offensive line still has moving parts at different positions … and three captains were named for the 2013 season … Zack Martin was named a captain, therefore becoming the 18th two-time captain in Notre Dame history … Bennett Jackson and T.J. Jones rounded out the triumvirate.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Depending on what type of football/futbol you enjoy, we have something Notre Dame related for you. You can watch Matt Besler and Sporting KC play the Chicago Fire at 8:30 p.m. (ET) on the NBC Sports Network or you can watch the Seahawks and the Packers at 8 p.m. (ET) on CBS. Seattle boasts a pair of former Notre Dame football players in Brady Quinn and Golden Tate.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Coming Home To The Dome: Steve Sollmann ’04 (Irish UNDerground)
- New Traditions At Notre Dame? (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Sara Liebscher ’91, MBA ’93 (Irish UNDerground)
- Wayback Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite (Irish UNDerground)
- On The Field With Flutie – Looking At The 2013 Irish (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: George West ’09 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Kevin Deeth ’10 (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Yesterday’s trivia question (Head men’s soccer coach Bobby Clark had 544 career appearances in professional soccer, including 17 with the Scotland national team. What world-famous coach was Clark’s manager for four years while he played for the Aberdeen Football Club?) was first answered correctly by GinoChiTown in the comment box. The correct answer was Sir Alex Ferguson.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Baseball – Coming Home To The Dome: Steve Sollmann (LINK-Irish UNDerground)
There are many student-athletes that graduate from the University of Notre Dame and enter careers outside of sports after they hang up their uniform for the final time. However, you may not know that some find their way back to Notre Dame to help mold the next-generation of student-athlete in a variety of non-coaching positions. Over the next five days we will present five Notre Dame graduates who have returned to their alma mater to work in a collection of different departments. To read about former Notre Dame baseball student-athlete Steve Sollmann, click the link above.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – 2013-14 Schedule Release (LINK-UND.com)
As Notre Dame men’s basketball fans eagerly await a new era in the program’s 109-year history with its entrance into the Atlantic Coast Conference, they’ll not have long to wait for one of the league’s most storied teams to pay a visit to Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center. Head coach Mike Brey and his Irish squad will usher in 2014 and the new conference on Saturday, Jan. 4 when four-time national champion Duke comes to Purcell Pavilion to tip off the 18-game conference regular-season slate. The contest will be televised by CBS Sports at 4:00 pm (ET) and is one of 15 regular-season games that will be televised nationally throughout Notre Dame’s 2013-14 campaign. Click the link above to look at the entire men’s basketball schedule for the upcoming season.
- 3. Football – Martin Brothers Look To Anchor Offensive Line (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
Zack is a two-time captain on the Irish football team and Nick is a first-time starter, but together they will help form a cohesive Notre Dame front that will lead the Irish into the 2013 season. To read more of Brian Hamilton’s piece on the “Brothers Martin” click the link above.
- 4. Football – Shumate Trying To Stake Claim At Safety (LINK-Chicago Sun-Times)
One of the surprise stories from last season was the steady play of Irish safety Elijah Shumate. Shumate played in all 13 games last season for the Irish, tallying nine tackles and a forced fumble. To read more about Shumate’s off-season performance and what 2013 holds for him, click the link above.
- 5. Women’s Soccer – Irish Open Up 2013 Campaign (LINK-UND.com)
For all the places she’s traveled, and all the matches she’s played during her soccer career, Notre Dame sophomore Cari Roccaro will be doing something she’s never done before on Friday night at 5:30 p.m. (ET) when the No. 10/5 Fighting Irish play host to No. RV/25 Illinois — she gets to play in a season opener at the college level. Click the link above to read more about the 2013 Irish women’s soccer team and their opening game.
What Does Kelly Have Up His Sleeve? (Chicago Tribune) – The Chicago Tribune’s David Haugh look at the different aspects of the game that head football coach Brian Kelly may try to use this season.
College Football Countdown: #13 Notre Dame (USA Today) – USA TODAY Sports’ Paul Myerberg counts down to the start of the college football season team by team from No. 125 to No. 1. Notre Dame checks in at #13.
I hope I am the first to perform “Dufnering” in Notre Dame Stadium … and the last to do so as well …
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) August 22, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
I’ve always enjoyed this video because it involves two of my favorite Notre Dame people, fencing coach Janusz Bednarski and former Notre Dame football player Golden Tate.
Well it’s Friday, so all the people who answer this question correctly through email or twitter (@NDSportsBlogger) will be entered to win some sort of prize. I will choose the winner at random…
What two characters from the Aaron Sorkin show West Wing have been portrayed as graduates of Notre Dame? One is easy, the other not so easy and a lot less definitive if he was actually a graduate (fictionally of course).
You will find the answer in Monday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago