Aug 27, 2013, 8:42 AM EDT
Our daily blog, “Things I Found Interesting” is back after taking a day off due to an unforeseen circumstance. Nonetheless, we are four nights away from football starting … get excited.
Before we begin, I want to take a second to congratulate Notre Dame hockey head coach Jeff Jackson on receiving an honorary monogram from Notre Dame. Congrats Coach!
— Notre Dame Hockey (@NDHockey) August 26, 2013
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today, Notre Dame students begin classes at Our Lady’s University.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Five Foot Nothing: Go On Back (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Mike McNeill ’88 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Steve Sollmann ’04 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Sara Liebscher ’91, MBA ’93 (Irish UNDerground)
- Wayback Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite (Irish UNDerground)
- On The Field With Flutie – Looking At The 2013 Irish (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: George West ’09 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Kevin Deeth ’10 (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Friday’s trivia question (What two characters from the Aaron Sorkin show West Wing have been portrayed as graduates of Notre Dame? One is easy, the other not so easy and a lot less definitive if he was actually a graduate) was tough for many and was answered correctly by just one person, Kris Hull (@KHull71). The answers we were looking for were Josiah Bartlet, the President of the United States, and Danny Concannon, a media member of the White House Press Corps.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Hockey – Coming Home To The Dome: Mike McNeill ’88 (LINK-Irish UNDerground)
There are many student-athletes that graduate from the University of Notre Dame and enter careers outside of sports after they hang up their uniform for the final time. However, you may not know that some find their way back to Notre Dame to help mold the next-generation of student-athlete in a variety of non-coaching positions. Over the next five days we will present five Notre Dame graduates who have returned to their alma mater to work in a collection of different departments. To read about former Notre Dame hockey student-athlete Mike McNeill, click the link above.
- 2. Football – Nix’s Future Comes With Big Smile (LINK-South Bend Tribune)
The South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen has penned (does anyone really pen stories anymore) a great story on a key cog on the Irish defense, Louis Nix. Nix’s story is one that will be “book worthy” someday. To read this fantastic piece on Nix, click the link above.
- 3. General – What Notre Dame Shows Us About Building A Brand (LINK-Forbes)
The Notre Dame athletics brand is one of the more recognizable in the entire business of sport. This didn’t just happen overnight, it took a lot of work, tradition and even some luck to get the Notre Dame trademark and brand to the point where it is today. Click the link above to read more on what went into building the Notre Dame brand.
- 4. Men’s Golf – The Pro Golf Inferno (LINK-UND.com)
Former Notre Dame men’s golfer and BIG EAST Championship medalist, Mark Baldwin, took some time to write a post about some crazy experiences he has encountered since graduating from Notre Dame in 2006. Click the link above to read about Baldwin’s professional golf experiences.
- 5. Women’s Soccer – Pitch Points: Starting Off Right (LINK-UND.com)
While no one would ever confuse Randy Waldrum with Bobby Flay, the Notre Dame head coach did his best imitation of the world-renowned chef last weekend, adding a pinch of flavor here and a dash of spice there as the Fighting Irish opened their season with a pair of convincing 4-1 victories over Big Ten Conference foes Illinois and Northwestern at Alumni Stadium. To read more on the women’s soccer team, click the link above.
Top-25 Notre Dame Football Players: #7 DaVaris Daniels (UHND.com) – The guys at UHND.com continue their top-25 countdown of Notre Dame football players.
Men’s Soccer Defeats Buckeyes In Final Exhibition Contest (UND.com) – In their annual Grassroots Soccer game, the Notre Dame men’s soccer team defeated Ohio State 1-0 in their final tune up before beginning their regular season on Friday in Bloomington, Ind.
Looking At Temple (The Times Herald) – A local paper from the Temple area looks at what to expect from the Owls this season.
I am currently hungry and this is the only tweet I find funny right now…
@NDFBEquipment evidently you haven’t been to the South Dining Hall…
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) August 26, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
This is an amazing video that shows the unveiling of the captains for the 2013 Notre Dame football team
Today’s trivia question is a doozy…
Coach Kelly has led his team to an undefeated regular season in two of the last four years (Cincinnati in 2009, Notre Dame in 2012). There are only two other coaches in FBS that can claim that feat, name them.
You will find the answer in Tuesday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic and Epple Selected in First Two Rounds of MLL Draft
- W. Rowing. Irish Wrap Up NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Five Irish Headed To Eugene
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ ND RECORD 2017 grad Sergio Perkovic is @NDlacrosse's highest Major League Lacrosse draft pick at No. 2 overall.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: To the best fan base in the world! Thanks for getting us to 500,000! #GoIrish https://t.co/7d4BiJY51Z 18 hours ago
- ☘ ND Vaults Into Finals! @NDXCTF pole vaulter Nate Richartz to compete in his 2nd @NCAATrackField Championship. und.com/sports/c-track… 21 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she scored… 1 day ago
- Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she sc… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago