Aug 29, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
We have finally made it to opening day for college football. The Irish may not play tonight, but a bevy of other college teams will kick-off their 2013 season.
Don’t forget about our winter sports that will be beginning before you know it. Yesterday, the women’s basketball team and head coach Muffet McGraw released their 2013-14 schedule. There are a few surprises and some interesting match-ups in their first season as a member of the ACC. To see the entire schedule, click here.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today, watch the Packers visit the Chiefs at 8 pm (ET) as former Notre Dame tight end Anthony Fasano suits up for Kansas City in the last preseason game of the season for the squad.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Kory Minor’s 2013 Football Preview (Strong & True)
- Five Foot Nothing: Go On Back (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Mike McNeill ’88 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Steve Sollmann ’04 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Sara Liebscher ’91, MBA ’93 (Irish UNDerground)
- On The Field With Flutie – Looking At The 2013 Irish (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: George West ’09 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Kevin Deeth ’10 (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Wednesday’s trivia question (Who was the last Notre Dame kicker to hit a game-winning field goal as time expired and who was it against?) had me receiving a plethora of different answers, from Texas and Jim Sanson to Reggie Ho and Boston College. Nonetheless, the only right answer was D.J. Fitzpatrick and Navy on Nov. 8, 2003. Congrats to Ross Goetz for being one of two to answer the question correctly. Ross (if he contacts me) will receive a random prize in the drawer of wonders. So Ross, contact me.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Kory Minor Previews The 2013 Football Season (LINK-Strong & True)
Former Notre Dame football player Kory Minor took time out of his busy schedule to preview the Notre Dame football season in a way that only few can. A four-year started along the Irish front seven, Minor was the last freshman to start a season-opener in the linebacking corps. This is a must-read story from Minor. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Football – Adding the Pistol (LINK-ESPN.com)
One of the new elements the Irish have added to their expanding repertoire on the offensive-side of the ball is the pistol formation. In the pistol, the quarterback is between his position where he would be under center and in the shotgun formation. Almost a mini-shotgun formation if you allow that description. To see it in action tonight you can tune in to the Indiana Hoosiers football game at 7 p.m. (ET). Over the past five years the Hoosiers have implemented the pistol into some of their offensive sets. To read about how Notre Dame plans to use the pistol, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Collinsworth Eager To Get Back On Field (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
After a season-ending injury last season that didn’t allow Austin Collinsworth to tally even a minute of action last season, he has worked his way back into a role that could see substantial time in the defensive secondary this year. To read more on his return to the field, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Filling Manti’s Hole (LINK-Philly.com)
After Manti Te’o left Notre Dame upon graduation, many began to wonder who would attempt to fill the hole left by the all-american linebacker. After spring and fall practice it looks like that duty will fall on the former Fabio look-alike Dan Fox. To read more about Fox and what he has accomplished to get where he is, click the link above.
- 5. Football – Want All The Information? (LINK-UND.com)
At the link above you will find all the information you need for this Saturday’s football contest between the Irish and the Temple Owls. Known as media notes, the pdf is a great piece of information on what to watch for, player and coach milestones and any other important information that is needed to follow along with the football game. Click the link above to read more.
Top-25 Notre Dame Football Players: #5 Prince Shembo (UHND.com) – The guys at UHND.com continue their top-25 countdown of Notre Dame football players.
Repeat After Me (UND.com) – Lou Somogyi compares the National Championship teams from 1973 to 1988 in this game program feature.
Football Fun (UND.com) – Fifth-year senior Zack Martin has played a huge part in Notre Dame’s recent success and is looking for a huge final season with the Irish.
This is one of the best twitter conversations I have ever seen…
@DOCnation_7 are you going to break my sack record or what. I’ve had it long enough
— Justin Tuck (@JustinTuckNYG91) August 29, 2013
@JustinTuckNYG91 I’m feeling really confident this year. Just can’t wait for the season to start.
— stephon tuitt (@DOCnation_7) August 29, 2013
— lOUIS NIX III (@1IrishChocolate) August 29, 2013
— Justin Tuck (@JustinTuckNYG91) August 29, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
This was Grant & Max’s spot once they released their video yesterday. If they don’t bring me on soon, I will stop supporting them. That is a threat. #GetTheNDSportsBloggerOnGrantAndMax
(Background: Grant and Max are both members of the Notre Dame men’s soccer team and are slated to be in the starting XI this fall)
We are going to re-use one that we used previously because no one answered it and well, it’s is my favorite trivia question of all time…
Brett Favre holds many NFL passing records, including the completions record. What former Notre Dame football student-athlete caught the record-breaking pass to help Favre break that record?
You will find the answer in Friday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly… I’ll even give away a prize to one of the people that answered the question correctly.
- W. Volleyball. Irish Open Spring Slate Against Ball State On Saturday
- M. Lacrosse. #4 Notre Dame Ready To Face Buckeyes At Ohio Stadium
- Baseball. Notre Dame Opens ACC Home Slate
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Returns to West Coast for the Bighorn Invitational
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Off To Solid Start At NCAAs
- Football. Pro Day: Several Hours of Hushed Assessments
- Baseball. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Friday First Pitch at 5:05 p.m. ET
- Softball. Irish, UNC Clash In 2018 Melissa Cook Stadium Opener
- Fencing. Irish Tied For First After Day One At NCAA Championships
- W. Basketball. Irish Head West in Hopes of Spokane Regional Title
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Home sweet home! 🏠 @NDSoftball plays its home opener on Friday at 5 p.m. ET against ACC foe UNC. Get ready for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- With 🔟 points on Day 2, No. 19 @NDSwimDive moves into the top 2️⃣5️⃣ at NCAA Championships! Read up on Zach Yeadon… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- "Top-seeded @NDHockey battles Michigan Tech in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament, Friday at 3 p.m. ET on ESPN… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- After Day ☝️ at NCAA Championships, @NDFencing is tied for the lead behind Amanda Sirico in epee and Elyssa Kleiner… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- The blades are sharpened, the matchup's set. It's tourney time. @NDHockey battles Michigan Tech in the first round… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago