Aug 30, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
The first night of college football is in the books and we are just over 24-hours away from the beginning of the 2013 Notre Dame football season. If you don’t already know, the game is set to kick-off at 3:41 p.m. (EST)
Additionally, if you are in the Boston area or receive NESN on your television, watch the first pitch of the Red Sox game as Notre Dame hockey team captain Jeff Costello will be throwing out the first pitch. Coach Jackson announced 2013-14 team captains yesterday, click here to read more.
Before we begin let’s talk professional sports with former Notre Dame student-athletes…
– Men’s golfer Max Scodro fired a two-under 69 in the opening round of the Wildfire Invitational on the PGA Tour – Canada. He currently sits in 30th. You can follow along with Scodro’s round here.
– Theo Riddick laid claim to a roster spot with the Detroit Lions last night as he ran the ball for 26 yards on six carries, adding 12 receiving yards and a pair of touchdowns.
– Armando Allen of the Chicago Bears tallied 39 yards on the ground on 10 carries in a 18-16 loss to the Cleveland Browns.
– The Houston Texans Cierre Wood rushed for 107 yards on 19 carries and added 29-yards receiving 24-6 drubbing of the Dallas Cowboys.
– Robert Blanton tallied four tackles for the Minnesota Vikings in a one-point victory over the Tennessee Titans.
– Brady Quinn throws for 110 yards on eight of 15 passing in a 22-6 victory over the Raiders.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today, what you need to do is simple … after work go grab chips and salsa, drinks and some frozen pizza and pop in Rudy to get you ready for Saturday’s game.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Kory Minor’s 2013 Football Preview (Strong & True)
- Five Foot Nothing: Go On Back (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Mike McNeill ’88 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Steve Sollmann ’04 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Sara Liebscher ’91, MBA ’93 (Irish UNDerground)
- On The Field With Flutie – Looking At The 2013 Irish (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: George West ’09 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Kevin Deeth ’10 (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Thursday’s trivia question (Brett Favre holds many NFL passing records, including the completions record. What former Notre Dame football student-athlete caught the record-breaking pass to help Favre break that record?) was answered by the “unstumpable” Ross Goetz. The correct answer: former Notre Dame quarterback Carlyle Holiday.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Atkinson, Carlisle To Carry The Load (LINK-AP)
One of the deepest parts of the Notre Dame football team this season is the vast stable of running backs that Coach Kelly has at his disposal. Click the link above to read about what you can expect from that position this fall.
- 2. Women’s Basketball – Diggins: Homing In On Fall (LINK-ESPN.com)
Throughout her rookie-campaign in the WNBA former Notre Dame women’s basketball student-athlete Skylar Diggins has been writing a piece on a regular basis for ESPN. To read about her time adjusting to life as a professional basketball player, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Fortuna’s What To Watch For: Temple (LINK-ESPN.com)
Whether you are in Notre Dame Stadium or sitting in front of a television set tomorrow for the football game, there are some things you should watch for throughout the game. ESPN’s Matt Fortuna has you covered. Click the link above to learn more.
- 4. Football – Mr. Tough, Mr. Nice Guy (LINK-UND.com)
Chris Watt is a contradictory enigma disguised as an offensive lineman. “Mauler” is the operative word used by Notre Dame coaches and teammates when asked to describe Watt’s playing style. “Friendly” is the most popular answer when asking about Watt in his everyday life. To read more about Watt, click the link above.
- 5. Football – Want All The Information? (LINK-UND.com)
At the link above you will find all the information you need for this Saturday’s football contest between the Irish and the Temple Owls. Known as media notes, the pdf is a great piece of information on what to watch for, player and coach milestones and any other important information that is needed to follow along with the football game. Click the link above to read more.
Top-25 Notre Dame Football Players: #3 Zack Martin (UHND.com) – The guys at UHND.com continue their top-25 countdown of Notre Dame football players.
Jesse Harper: The Game Changer (UND.com) – Lou Somogyi tells us about Jesse Harper’s life and what brought him to Notre Dame in this game program feature.
Men’s Soccer To Open Season At IU Classic (UND.com) – All the information you need on this weekend’s men’s soccer matches down in Bloomington, Ind.
Trying to stay away from college football for one more day…
Another failed IQ test. pic.twitter.com/xUFsdRuiWE
— Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) August 29, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
Thank me later …
Let’s talk football…
Only once in Notre Dame football history has one Irish running back run for 200+ yards and another 100+ yards in the same game. Name the two Notre Dame backs who were involved with this feat. (Here’s a hint, it was during the Burger Court)
You will find the answer in Monday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly.
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 2 @NDHockey is starting the year with a 💥! Cal Burke and Bobby Nardella each earned FIVE points as the Irish s… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- You've seen everything but this. The story of @NDwbb's national championship run, Onward Notre Dame: This is What… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: The #uNDefeated Irish come in at No. 3 in this week's AP Poll. #GoIrish ☘️ #BeatMidshipmen https://t.co/QPBUZSAa2D 4 hours ago
- Watch LIVE as @NDMensTennis continues competition at the ITA Midwest Regional. ⤵️ 📺 und.com/tennisstream… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- Ending the road season strong! 💪 @NDSoccer meets Pitt in the final regular-season road game for the Irish, Sunday… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago