Sep 2, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
I’m not sure how many of you know who I am, and that’s fine, because I don’t expect any of you to. That’s because last year as a writer for UNDerground, I covered what I like to call the Underdog sports. These are the sports that don’t get as much coverage as they should, and the majority of people don’t go out of their way to read about them. To be honest, at Notre Dame, anything that isn’t football, basketball, or hockey is an Underdog sport. Last year, I got to know several athletes, coaches, and teams that have amazing stories to tell and work harder at what they do than anyone else could imagine, and a lot of them do it with very little recognition.
I’m a big fan of Underdogs. I played golf in high school and frequently watch PGA events on TV with my dad. (Only 314 more days until the Masters!) I love playing and watching tennis (the US Open is on my TV right now), and I covered the tennis teams last year for the blog. As much as I love football and basketball, though, I don’t believe they’re the most important of the sports. All of them are equally fantastic.
Now here’s a little bit about me.
Last year, I attended Saint Mary’s College. I loved Saint Mary’s, and I still do, but Notre Dame has been my dream school for years and years. I say, “has been my dream school,” because it still is. It didn’t lose its enchanting or captivating qualities when I arrived on campus as a student and it never will.
Notre Dame is home #2 now, but home #1 is Kansas. (No, I don’t know Dorothy and have never been to Oz, and yes, I have seen a tornado and I do know that “I’m not in Kansas anymore.” Also, my dog’s name is Sammi, not Toto.) I’m ¼ Mexican, which explains my last name, but I’m the palest Mexican you’ll ever see. It’s only fitting that I attend a school in Northern Indiana.
Finally, I’m pleased to announce that, this year, I have been appointed the Notre Dame Ice Hockey beat writer. Why didn’t I list hockey with football and basketball a few paragraphs back? Because while ice hockey is one of the big four sports at Notre Dame, back home in the Sunflower State, hockey is an Underdog sport. So in a way, I’m sticking to what I know, and at the same time, doing something completely new and foreign to me. Now there’s no need to worry—I’m not saying I don’t know anything about hockey. In fact, I attended almost every single game at Compton Family Ice Arena last season. I’m very familiar with it, but I still have plenty to learn, so this year will be a fun journey. I hope you’ll keep up, keep reading Irish UNDerground, and keep loving all things Notre Dame. That leaves me with only one more thing to say:
–Anna Gonzalez (’16)
- Track. Irish Prepared for Split-Squad Competition
- W. Golf. Irish Await Elite Field at Bryan National Collegiate
- W. Basketball. Turner's All-America Honors Continue
- M. Basketball. Colson Nabs AP All-America Accolade
- W. Volleyball. Q&A On Irish Volleyball Junior Sam Fry's National Team Tryout
- Baseball. Rally Pushes Irish By Cougars
- M. Basketball. Matt Ryan Granted Release For Contact With Other Schools
- Fencing. Replay: NCAA Title in My Eyes
- Softball. Irish Entertain EMU Eagles Wednesday Evening
- M. Ice Hockey. Jackson Named One of 10 Finalists For Spencer Penrose Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDWomensLax goalie Samantha Giacolone earns national honor after making 13 saves in w… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 37 minutes ago
- 🏒 @NCAA Coach of the Year Finalist @NDHockey coach Jeff Jackson is a top-10 finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 5 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH RALLY PAST CHICAGO STATE @NDBaseball downs Chicago State 7-4 with a trio of 2-run innings. Game Recap: und.com/sports/m-baseb… 9 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: “I can’t tell you how proud we are of you.” - Coach Jackson Relive @NDHockey’s 3-2 OT win vs. UMass Lowell. NEXT: On t… 23 hours ago
- ☘ After beating #4 Ohio State 12-7... 2 @NDlacrosse stars earn ACC Player of the Week! Sergio Perkovic John Sexton und.com/sports/m-lacro… 1 day ago