Sep 2, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
I’m not sure how many of you know who I am, and that’s fine, because I don’t expect any of you to. That’s because last year as a writer for UNDerground, I covered what I like to call the Underdog sports. These are the sports that don’t get as much coverage as they should, and the majority of people don’t go out of their way to read about them. To be honest, at Notre Dame, anything that isn’t football, basketball, or hockey is an Underdog sport. Last year, I got to know several athletes, coaches, and teams that have amazing stories to tell and work harder at what they do than anyone else could imagine, and a lot of them do it with very little recognition.
I’m a big fan of Underdogs. I played golf in high school and frequently watch PGA events on TV with my dad. (Only 314 more days until the Masters!) I love playing and watching tennis (the US Open is on my TV right now), and I covered the tennis teams last year for the blog. As much as I love football and basketball, though, I don’t believe they’re the most important of the sports. All of them are equally fantastic.
Now here’s a little bit about me.
Last year, I attended Saint Mary’s College. I loved Saint Mary’s, and I still do, but Notre Dame has been my dream school for years and years. I say, “has been my dream school,” because it still is. It didn’t lose its enchanting or captivating qualities when I arrived on campus as a student and it never will.
Notre Dame is home #2 now, but home #1 is Kansas. (No, I don’t know Dorothy and have never been to Oz, and yes, I have seen a tornado and I do know that “I’m not in Kansas anymore.” Also, my dog’s name is Sammi, not Toto.) I’m ¼ Mexican, which explains my last name, but I’m the palest Mexican you’ll ever see. It’s only fitting that I attend a school in Northern Indiana.
Finally, I’m pleased to announce that, this year, I have been appointed the Notre Dame Ice Hockey beat writer. Why didn’t I list hockey with football and basketball a few paragraphs back? Because while ice hockey is one of the big four sports at Notre Dame, back home in the Sunflower State, hockey is an Underdog sport. So in a way, I’m sticking to what I know, and at the same time, doing something completely new and foreign to me. Now there’s no need to worry—I’m not saying I don’t know anything about hockey. In fact, I attended almost every single game at Compton Family Ice Arena last season. I’m very familiar with it, but I still have plenty to learn, so this year will be a fun journey. I hope you’ll keep up, keep reading Irish UNDerground, and keep loving all things Notre Dame. That leaves me with only one more thing to say:
–Anna Gonzalez (’16)
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
- Track & Field. Father’s Day: Running In The Aragon Family
- W. Tennis. Thompson Tapped To Lead Gophers As Head Coach
- Baseball. Irish Trio Of Bielak, Ruibal & Lidge Drafted
- M. Lacrosse. Epple Invited To U.S. National Team Tryouts
- W. Rowing. Boxberger Named CRCA Pocock All-American
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #10 - @NDMenSoccer's ACC Offensive Player of the Year Jon Gallagher led @theACC in… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #10-Attention to detail 1st. Then work on the bigger picture. Josh Adams shows… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 73 Days Flashback to the 1973 Sugar Bowl. When unbeaten @NDFootball downed #1 Alabama for… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #10 - Steve Vasturia's 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds left in overtime clinches @NDmbb… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #10 - Davis Lamb wins match vs Seton Hall for @NDMensGolf tournament title. und.com/sports/m-golf/… 18 hours ago