Sep 2, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
Due to Labor Day today, I’ve decided to withhold some “Things I Found Interesting” material for tomorrow and provide a few links to stories that I found over the weekend regarding Notre Dame athletics.
Before we get going, we want to congratulate former Notre Dame football student-athlete Braxston Cave on inking a three-year deal with the New England Patriots. We will bring you an entire list of Notre Dame players on NFL rosters tomorrow as we continue to sift through the waiver-wire.
Men’s Soccer – Irish Win IU Classic Crown (UND.com) – With a 2-1 victory over SMU on the final day of the Classic, the Irish beat ninth-ranked UCLA in a tiebreaker to claim the championship for the second-consecutive year. Click the link to read more.
Hockey – Notre Dame To Play On Fenway Park On January 4 (UND.com) – The 2013 captain for the Irish hockey team Jeff Costello was asked to throw out the first pitch in Boston’s Fenway Park last week to both welcome the Irish to the Hockey East conference and promote the Citi Frozen Fenway game. Click the link to read more.
Women’s Soccer – Irish Fall To Second-Ranked Bruins, 1-0 (UND.com) – The Irish women’s soccer team was hit with their first setback on Sunday as they fell to second-ranked UCLA, 1-0, on the Alumni Stadium turf in Adidas Invitational championship match. To read more, click the link above.
Volleyball – Irish Cap Off Weekend With Victory Over USF (UND.com) – Notre Dame’s volleyball squad got off to a rocky 2013 after two losses at the hands of North Carolina and Middle Tennessee State. The Irish bounced back nicely to defeat former BIG EAST foe South Florida in their final match of the Blue Raider Bash. Click the link above to learn more.
Football – Five Things I Liked (UHND.com) – After watching the Temple game this past weekend, the guys at UHND.com put together a list of five things that they liked to see out of the Notre Dame football team. Click the link to learn more.
Football – Notre Dame Freshmen Adjust To College Game Quickly (News-Sentinel) – There were 10 Notre Dame freshmen who saw action in Saturday’s football contest between the Irish and the Owls, some contributing in a big way and others just getting their feet wet at the end of the game. The certainty that can be taken from their play is the fact that they all played well in their large/limited roles.
Football – Coach Kelly Downplays Irish/Wolverine Rivalry (Chicago Tribune) – At his Sunday afternoon teleconference Notre Dame head football coach Brian Kelly downplayed the Notre Dame/Michigan rivalry to reporters as this season’s game draws closer. To read more click the link above.
I will leave you with a video that I enjoy way too much during Michigan week (it may have something to do with my love of all things Sorkin)…
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
- Cross Country. Irish Announce Cross Country Class of 2021
- Fencing. Irish To Be Well-Represented At Senior World Championships
- M. Basketball. Maui Invitational Tournament Will Begin With Chaminade
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Why
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 43 Days In 1943 QB Angelo Bertelli won @NDFootball's 1st Heisman Trophy, the same year ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- ☘ ND Stadium is Going Green! LED Lights Food Donations Game Day Recycling Learn about our sustainability efforts: und.com/sports/biggert… 23 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The 3 new buildings at ND Stadium are big enough for a queen. Literally. At 800,000 sq. feet, they're almost as big as… 1 day ago
- The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go fr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- In 3,000,000 hours of labor we: Renovated ND Stadium & constructed 3 buildings. That's how long it takes Earth to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago