Sep 3, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
We are back to work after a great Labor Day and hope you had a great day off (the people who were lucky enough for a day off that is) as well. Today we look at NFL roster cuts, a bunch of football stories, hockey pro camp, West Wing video and football trivia.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Irish In The NFL (Strong & True)
- Men’s Tennis Begins “Smash MS” (Irish UNDerground)
- Return To The Student Section (Strong & True)
- Five Foot Nothing: Belonging (Strong & True)
- I Heart Underdogs – Anna Gonzalez (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Friday’s trivia question (Only once in Notre Dame football history has one Irish running back run for 200+ yards and another 100+ yards in the same game. Name the two Notre Dame backs who were involved with this feat.) was a little tougher than normal but a few people got the right answer. The correct answer was Vagas Ferguson and Jerome Heavens. Ferguson ran for 219 yards and Heavens galloped for 100 on November 4, 1978 at the old Municipal Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio. Joe Reimers (@Reimero) was the first to correctly answer the question.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau (LINK-Strong & True)
“Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau” is a weekly series that takes you inside the stats with in-depth analysis through numbers and graphics. Fremeau, a 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, is a longtime writer for ESPN Insider, Football Outsiders and his personal graphical analysis website, BCFToys.com. In the first post of the year, Fremeau looks at the importance of big plays on scoring drives.
- 2. Football – Former Irish Stars Finding New Homes In NFL (LINK-Strong & True)
After NFL teams were required to trim their roster down to the 53-man capacity on Saturday, a bevy of former Notre Dame student-athletes were without a team. Since then, a few Irish players have found new homes. Brady Quinn has signed with the New York Jets, Braxston Cave with the New England Patriots and Jonas Gray with the Baltimor Ravens practice squad to name a few. To see the entire list of former Notre Dame student-athletes in the NFL, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Freshmen Report:Temple (LINK-UHND.com)
Ten Notre Dame freshmen played in the 2013 season opener against Temple. How did each of them play? The guys at UHND.com weigh in. Click the link above to learn more.
- 4. Football – Talking With T.J. Jones (LINK-News-Sentinel)
After a career day against the Temple Owls, breaking the 100-yard receiving plateau and hauling in six catches, T.J. Jones took some time to speak with the media after the game. The News-Sentinel transcribed some of Jones’ thoughts about his play in the game. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Hockey – Back Where It All Began – ND Pro Camp (LINK-UND.com)
For the second year in a row, the final week of August became old home week for former members of the Notre Dame hockey program as they returned to campus for the Notre Dame Pro Hockey Camp at Compton Family Ice Arena from August 26-30. The group of 16 former Irish players and five other pros included a mix of players who have played in a variety of pro leagues from Europe to the National Hockey League and all stops in between. Click the link above to read more.
Pitch Points: Irish Riding The Learning Curve (UND.com) – The women’s soccer team is young, yet they are showing signs of excellence even after a 1-0 setback at the hands of UCLA.
Shipp Named A Senior Class Nominee (UND.com) – Men’s soccer forward Harrison Shipp has been a stalwart along the Irish frontline the last few years and his hard work is paying off.
Shamrock Stickers: Temple Week (UHND.com) – After the 28-6 victory over Temple, the guys at UHND.com looked back at the play of the Irish and handed out “Shamrock Stickers” to the student-athletes who stood out on the field.
Talk about livin’ the dream…
— FAB5 ND Tennis (@NDFabFive) September 3, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
This is firmly entrenched as the video of the day throughout this entire week, so settle in and watch it daily …
With two former Notre Dame running backs on active NFL rosters…
Who was the last Irish player to be the starting running back on a Super Bowl winning team?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly.
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 2x Olympian ☘ 4x NCAA Champ 🌎 #1 World Ranking Lee Kiefer ('17) leaves her @NDFencing legacy. FULL VIDEO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- ☘ Navigating Notre Dame Stadium just got a whole lot easier. New signage in the concourse will lead you to your se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2n… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- ☘ The view of Notre Dame Stadium from the video board! Ready for 80,000+ @NDFootball fans. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/lK6hUMxrTG 1 day ago