Sep 4, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
We are now just one day away from the beginning of the NFL season. Tomorrow night’s opening contest pits the defending Super Bowl champion, Baltimore Ravens, against the Denver Broncos and former Notre Dame student-athlete David Bruton. Tune in tomorrow night at 8:30 p.m. (ET) on NBC.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Getting Defensive With Kory Minor ’99 (Strong & True)
- Irish In The NFL (Strong & True)
- Men’s Tennis Begins “Smash MS” (Irish UNDerground)
- Return To The Student Section (Strong & True)
- Five Foot Nothing: Belonging (Strong & True)
- I Heart Underdogs – Anna Gonzalez (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Tuesday’s trivia question (Who was the last Irish player to be the starting running back on a Super Bowl winning team?) was answered incorrectly by many. The correct answer is still out there waiting to be guessed. Because this was incorrectly answered so many times the first day, I will give a prize away today. If you get the correct answer your name will go in a hat and one of the people with the correct answer will win a prize.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Getting Defensive With Kory Minor (’99) (LINK-Strong & True)
Former Notre Dame football linebacker Kory Minor (@KMine4) will be recapping the defensive play of each game in “Getting Defensive With Kory Minor.” Minor, a four-year member of the football squad, went on to the NFL for a few years and is currently traveling the country speaking at colleges, universities and corporations on leadership and the concept of winning. To read Minor’s thoughts on Temple, click the link above.
- 2. Football – ND-UM Rivalry Brings Perspective For Survivor (LINK-ESPN)
ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna brings you the story of a Notre Dame fan who almost lost his life at the Notre Dame – Michigan football game in 2011. If it wasn’t for the help of Wolverines fans around him, today could be much different for his family. Click the link above to read this outstanding story.
- 3. Football – Replicating Nix (LINK-MichiganDaily.com)
To prepare for the all-american nose guard, Louis Nix, the Michigan Wolverines are employing a variety of tactics. Read the University of Michigan’s campus newspaper to find out more. To do that, click the link above.
- 4. Men’s Tennis – New Era of Notre Dame Tennis (LINK-The Observer)
After 26-years at the helm of the Notre Dame men’s tennis squad, head coach Bob Bayliss decided to call it quits. The succession plan for the head coaching position for the team had been talked about for a few years and when it came down to naming a replacement, the decision was easy. Former Notre Dame all-american and assistant coach Ryan Sachire (Sah-chur-EE) was named Coach Bayliss’ replacement. To read more about this story, click the link above.
- 5. Football – Coach Kelly Compares UM QB To NFL Great (LINK-NFL.com)
Gone are the days of Denard Robinson at quarterback for Michigan. On Saturday, you will see another athletic student-athlete line up behind center for the Wolverines, this time Devin Gardner. To read more on Coach Kelly’s thoughts on Gardner, click the link above.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Michigan-Notre Dame Roundtable (ESPN) – A triumvirate of ESPN writers sat down to answer three questions regarding Saturday’s Notre Dame – Michigan contest. Click the link to read their thoughts.
Literally one of my favorite all-time quotes. Glad to know Matthias and I share at least that (and our uncanny athletic ability) …
Before you say something mean about someone first walk a mile in their shoes. So when you do you’ll be a mile away and have their shoes #lol
— Matthias Farley (@MatthiasFarley) September 4, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
Who was the last Irish player to be the starting running back on a Super Bowl winning team?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly.
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic and Epple Selected in First Two Rounds of MLL Draft
- W. Rowing. Irish Wrap Up NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Five Irish Headed To Eugene
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ ND RECORD 2017 grad Sergio Perkovic is @NDlacrosse's highest Major League Lacrosse draft pick at No. 2 overall.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: To the best fan base in the world! Thanks for getting us to 500,000! #GoIrish https://t.co/7d4BiJY51Z 18 hours ago
- ☘ ND Vaults Into Finals! @NDXCTF pole vaulter Nate Richartz to compete in his 2nd @NCAATrackField Championship. und.com/sports/c-track… 21 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she scored… 1 day ago
- Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she sc… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago