Skip to content

Wayback Wednesday – Notre Dame Football “Under The Lights”

Sep 4, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT

Seat cushion from the first night game at Notre Dame Stadium on September 18, 1982

A new bi-weekly Irish UNDerground feature revolves around the @NDSportsBlogger taking time away from his desk to go find an interesting artifact around the University of Notre Dame Athletic Department, enjoy…

Past “Wayback Wednesday’s” –
Coach Kline’s Hanna Batrite
Moose’s Congressional Photo
Coach Leahy’s Football
2008 Hawaii Bowl Trophy

In this edition of “Wayback Wednesday” we look at a piece of Notre Dame football history, a seat cushion from the very first night game at Notre Dame Stadium.

On September 18, 1982, the University of Notre Dame hosted the first night game in the history of Notre Dame Stadium. With the help of Musco Lighting, the event went off without a hitch.

Prior to the game, seat cushions were offered to those in attendance to commemorate the contest.

With the Irish traveling to Ann Arbor to play the Wolverines under the lights once again, I felt like we should look back on the first game in this series that was held, “under the lights.”



The match-up between the Irish and the Wolverines was the season opener for Notre Dame and the second-game of the season for the tenth-ranked Michigan Wolverines.

Leading the Michigan charge was all-american wideout Anthony Carter while the Irish were led on the defensive side of the ball by defensive back Dave Duerson.

I’ll let A.J. Foss of fill in the rest of the story:

The Wolverines got the ball to start the game but turned it over on the third play of the game when quarterback Steve Smith was sacked by defensive lineman Bob Clasby, who stripped Smith of the ball leading to a Notre Dame recovery at the Michigan 22-yard-line.

The Irish converted the turnover into three points with a 35-yard field goal by Mike Johnston to give Notre Dame an early 3-0 lead.

Later in the first quarter, Smith fumbled the ball again when he collided with tailback Lawrence Ricks and the Irish converted the fumble into more points when Larry Moriarty scored on a 24-yard touchdown run on the first play of the second quarter to increase the Notre Dame lead to 10-0.

Then just before the end of the half, Johnston kicked a 37-yard field goal with two seconds to go to give Notre Dame a 13-0 lead at halftime.

Anthony Carter returned a punt for a touchdown, but was injured on the play and would miss the rest of the game.

It could have been worse for Michigan as they were unable to convert a single third-down conversion in the first half and the Irish fumbled the ball at the one-yard-line while going in for a touchdown.

The Irish got the ball first in the second half but were forced to punt it back to Michigan, with Carter lined up as the returner for the Wolverines.

Carter dropped back to his 28-yard-line to catch the punt, then took off and broke three Notre Dame tacklers to return the punt for a 72-yard touchdown to cut the Irish’ lead to 13-7, just 1:50 into the second half.

But the Wolverines paid the price as Carter pulled a groin muscle during the return and would not spend the rest of the game on the sidelines.

After Carter’s punt return for a touchdown, the Irish reassumed the momentum by scoring 10 unanswered points; a 41-yard field goal by Johnston and a seven-yard touchdown run by Greg Bell to give Notre Dame a 23-7 lead as the game entered the fourth quarter.

Two minutes into the final period, Michigan trimmed the lead to 23-10 when Ali Haji-Sheikh made a 42-yard field goal.

Then on their next drive, the Wolverines cut the lead to 23-17 on a miraculous touchdown when Smith throw a pass to Gilvanni Johnson, that was tipped by Notre Dame safety Dave Duerson and the ball ending up on the back of fellow safety Mike Toran.

Michigan tailback Rick Rogers plucked the ball off Toran’s back and ran it in for a 39-yard touchdown to bring the Wolverines to within six points with 7:38 to go.

After forcing the Irish to punt, Michigan got the ball back at their own 20-yard-line with 4:12 to play and a chance to win the game.

Smith lead the Wolverines to the Notre Dame 35-yard-line but the drive for the winning touchdown came to an end when Duerson intercepted a pass intended for Vaughn Bean at the Irish 30-yard-line with 2:14 left in the game.

Dave Duerson’s late interception preserved the 23-17 victory for Notre Dame.

Notre Dame ran out the final two minutes of the game to come away with a 23-17 victory in the first night game played in South Bend.

The win helped Notre Dame get off to a 4-0 start, but the Irish went 2-4-1 in their last seven games to finish with a 6-4-1 record and would not appear in a bowl game for the second straight season.

The Wolverines would win the Big Ten title to advance to the Rose Bowl but would lose to UCLA 24-14 to finish with an 8-4 record and Carter finishing fourth in the race for the Heisman Trophy.

If you can provide anymore information regarding this ‘Wayback Wednesday’ Artifact, please email Aaron Horvath at or on twitter at @NDSportsBlogger

About UNDerground

Welcome to UNDerground, the official blog providing in-depth and exclusive access to Notre Dame athletics. With features, videos, photos, commentaries and news from inside the athletic department, we are committed to bringing you coverage of the Fighting Irish unlike any you can find elsewhere.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Fighting Irish on YouTube