Sep 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
The NFL kicks off the 2013 season with a bang tonight as the defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens travel to Denver to take on former Notre Dame football player David Bruton and the Broncos.
Additionally, I want to congratulate Ryan Finley on his first career MLS soccer goal in a 2-0 victory for his Columbus Crew. Finley’s tally was the game winner.
WATCH RYAN FINLEY’S FIRST MLS GOAL
Before we begin, another congratulations is sent out to Emma Reaney on her invitation to join the 2013-14 USA Swimming National Team. A breakthrough for the women’s swimming program at Notre Dame, Reaney will compete in a variety of swims at the international level over the next year. Click here to read more.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- One-on-One With Troy Niklas (Strong & True)
- Wayback Wednesday – First Night Game At Notre Dame Stadium (Irish UNDerground)
- Irish Blogger Gathering – Michigan Week (Strong & True)
- Getting Defensive With Kory Minor ’99 (Strong & True)
- Irish In The NFL (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Wednesday’s trivia question (Who was the last Irish player to be the starting running back on a Super Bowl winning team?) was answered correctly by a few people. The answer – Ricky Watters for the San Francisco 49ers in 1994. The guesses of Jerome Bettis (Willie Parker was the starter), Ryan Grant (Injured), Marc Edwards (Was the starting fullback) and yes, someone answered Maurice Stovall. Out of the five correct answers I received, Martin Klubeck was chosen as the winner through a drawing. If you are Martin Klubeck, send me an email at AHorvat3@nd.edu to claim your prize.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – One-on-One With Troy Niklas (LINK-Strong & True)
The @JrNDBloggers football beat writer Craig Chval (’15) sat down with Irish tight end Troy Niklas earlier this week to talk about his play in the Temple game and his growth at his position. To read this article, click the link above.
- 2. Football – Fortuna’s ND-UM Prediction (LINK-ESPN)
ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna brings you a prediction for each of Notre Dame’s football games every week. This week he looks at the Michigan – Notre Dame football contest. His prediction will surprise you. Click the link above to see what he predicts.
- 3. Football – Martin Delivers Calling Plays (LINK-News-Sentinel)
For the first time in the last 23 years, Notre Dame head football coach Brian Kelly was not calling the plays on the sideline for last weekend’s game against the Temple Owls. Instead, he passed that task onto offensive coordinator Chuck Martin, a longtime friend and coach. Needless to say, early reports are good. Click the link above to read more about the relationship between head coach and play caller.
- 4. Football – ND-UM Atop List Of 12 NCAA Games To Watch This Week (LINK-NFL.com)
ESPN’s College Gameday will be in Ann Arbor for the final matchup in the foreseeable future between the two, winningest programs in NCAA history. Along with that, NFL.com has listed the game as the best of the week. To read more on this contest and how NFL.com ranked the rest of this week’s games, click the link above.
- 5. Men’s Lacrosse – Former ND Goalkeeper Joins Towson Staff (LINK-LaxPower.com)
Former Notre Dame goalkeeper Scotty Rodgers was recently named a volunteer assistant coach for Towson. A member of the Tewaaraton Trophy watch list (nation’s top player) and a Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award finalist, Rodgers was named the Most Outstanding Player of the 2010 NCAA Championship. A two-time All-America honoree, he was the 2009 Great Western Lacrosse Player of the Year. To read more on Rodgers, click the link above.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Tuitt Faces Off Against UM’s Lewan (Chicago Tribune) – In the most anticipated match-up of this weekend’s game, defensive end Stephon Tuitt will be lining up across from Michigan’s Taylor Lewan. Click the link above to read what Tuitt thinks about the game.
Previewing The Wolverines (NBCSports.com) – Each week NBC Sports’ Keith Arnold asks some questions to a beat writer for Notre Dame’s opponent, this week he peppered Detroit News’ Angelique Chengelis about the UM-ND game. Click the link above to learn more.
Top-Ranked Tar Heels Come To Town (UND.com) – The Irish men’s soccer team will welcome the top-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels to town on Sunday in what is sure to be an up and down contest.
This just made my day yesterday …
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) September 5, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
On Thursday’s our trivia question coincides with Trading Card Thursday presented by Upper Deck, a correct answer puts you in the running for an autographed Upper Deck card from a former Notre Dame football student-athlete…
In the 2008 contest against Michigan, receiver Golden Tate caught four balls for 127 yards and a touchdown. The big question is, Tate caught a 48-yard touchdown pass in that contest. Before that catch, who was the last player with a 48-yard or longer touchdown catch for the Irish, who threw the pass and what team were the Irish playing?
You will find the answer in Friday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly.
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Brings Home Four Nations Tournament Title
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Server Room
- W. Soccer. ACC Network Extra to Broadcast 13 Matches
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Flag Pole
- Football. Notre Dame Schedules Wisconsin In 2020 & 2021
- Softball. Limited Spots Remain For Irish Softball Fall Clinic
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish Sail By Omaha 2-0 In Exhibition Debut
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish Open Exhibition Schedule At Omaha
- Football. New Look for Irish Football Spaces
- W. Soccer. Hendricks' Compassion Felt Around the World
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Hey, Julian Love! What’s your favorite part of ND Stadium? Video Board? Locker Room? @NDSportsBlogger caught u… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- 🏈 New to Notre Dame Stadium! A visitors tunnel has been added near the north end zone. Here's an exclusive look w… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- ☘ VISITING TEAM LOCKER ROOM The old benches from ND Stadium have been repurposed to create lockers for visiting te… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- 🏈 Another look at the server room for the video board! Massive online storage allows us to record & replay the bes… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📽 Engine Driving the Video Board 6,000+ Cables Massive Online Storage ⁰Check out the server room that powers the @NDFo… 1 day ago