Sep 6, 2013, 8:29 AM EST
Before we begin today, remember to catch Notre Dame men’s soccer alum Matt Besler tonight at 10 p.m. (ET) as the United States Men’s National Team takes on Costa Rica in World Cup Qualifying. If the U.S. wins tonight and then on Tuesday against Mexico in Columbus, Ohio, they wrap up a spot in the 2014 World Cup.
The NFL season got off to a fast start (well, after a 34-minute weather delay) for former Notre Dame football player, David Bruton. Known as one of the top special teams players in the league, Bruton, put a stamp on the season in week one by blocking a punt that led to a Broncos touchdown, and twice put pressure on Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco on a dime-formation blitz.
Another former Notre Dame student-athlete in the news is women’s golf alum Becca Huffer. Huffer is currently playing in the Colorado Women’s Open. After firing an opening round 72, she carded a second-round 69 to be in sixth place entering the final day of competition today. You can follow all the action here.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- One-on-One With Troy Niklas (Strong & True)
- Wayback Wednesday – First Night Game At Notre Dame Stadium (Irish UNDerground)
- Irish Blogger Gathering – Michigan Week (Strong & True)
- Getting Defensive With Kory Minor ’99 (Strong & True)
- Irish In The NFL (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Wednesday’s trivia question (Who was the last Irish player to be the starting running back on a Super Bowl winning team?) was answered correctly by a few people. The answer – Ricky Watters for the San Francisco 49ers in 1994. The guesses of Jerome Bettis (Willie Parker was the starter), Ryan Grant (Injured), Marc Edwards (Was the starting fullback) and yes, someone answered Maurice Stovall. Out of the five correct answers I received, Martin Klubeck was chosen as the winner through a drawing. If you are Martin Klubeck, send me an email at AHorvat3@nd.edu to claim your prize.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Upper Deck’s Trading Card Thursday (LINK-Strong & True)
Every Thursday in the run-up to the Brian Kelly Radio Show we will be presenting a new card from the Notre Dame Upper Deck collection. This week we spotlighted Golden Tate. For a chance to win a special prize from Upper Deck, click the link above.
- 2. Football – Rees Talks About His History With Michigan (LINK-WNDU) w/VIDEO
“Few Notre Dame players have had so much of their career defined by moments against Michigan. Tommy Rees certainly has. There’s been good times and bad ones too along the ride for the Irish senior quarterback.” To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Men’s Tennis – Set To Host Smash MS Event (LINK-UND.com)
The University of Note Dame men’s tennis team is ready to smash multiple sclerosis and it wants the South Bend and Notre Dame communities to join in. The Irish are holding two sessions of the clinic they are calling “Smash MS” Saturday morning at the Eck Tennis Center. The Notre Dame team, led by head coach Ryan Sachire, is holding two clinics, one for the South Bend community from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. and another for the Notre Dame community from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Five Stats To Know ND/Michigan (LINK-ESPN)
The research department at ESPN has put together a list of five statistics that you should know prior to the Notre Dame – Michigan football game this weekend. To see what they are, click the link above.
- 5. Volleyball – Set For Home Opener (LINK-UND.com)
With the home opener for the Notre Dame volleyball team just hours away, take a few minutes to read about their upcoming weekend, the meet the fans dinner a few nights ago and what to expect from the Irish this season. Click the link above to learn more
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
UHND’s Football Friday: Week 2 (UHND.com) – This is an article I was just exposed to and I very much enjoy it. Talks about the Irish in detail and then a little about other teams around college football. Take a chance and click the link above.
Yeah, I get that too …
Wearing ND shirt at gym-Guy “you play for ND?” Me-“No I didn’t. Brothers did tho” Guy “oh, ok, well you look like you played.” #playerbod
— Brian Salvi (@B_Salvi) September 6, 2013
@B_Salvi I’m still asked if I was a kicker.
— Chris Salvi (@CSalvi24) September 6, 2013
— David Ruffer (@ShakeThatDave) September 6, 2013
— Chris Salvi (@CSalvi24) September 6, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
Even though some people have answered this correctly, we will give more people the chance to put their name in the running for this prize. On Thursday’s our trivia question coincides with Upper Deck’s Trading Card Thursday, a correct answer puts you in the running for an autographed Upper Deck card from a former Notre Dame football student-athlete…
In the 2008 contest against Michigan, receiver Golden Tate caught four balls for 127 yards and a touchdown. The big question is, Tate caught a 48-yard touchdown pass in that contest. Before that catch, who was the last player with a 48-yard or longer touchdown catch for the Irish, who threw the pass and what team were the Irish playing?
You will find the answer in Monday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)”
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago