Sep 12, 2013, 8:26 AM EST
After taking a day off from writing “Things I Found Interesting,” we are back to provide you with some great stories and information regarding Notre Dame athletics. Today we are talking about the Blackhawks at Notre Dame, Louis Nix at the point of attack, office walls (sounds exciting!!!) and more!
Before we begin let’s look at some former Notre Dame athletes in the professional ranks.
Tonight’s NFL game between the New York Jets and the New England Patriots sports two former Notre Dame student-athletes, Brady Quinn and Darrin Walls. After spending all of training camp with Seattle Seahawks, Quinn was signed (then waived and re-signed) by the New York Jets to ensure they have a veteran quarterback on the roster and to push the young signal callers to be professionals in all aspects of the game. Walls, a defensive back for the Jets, registered one tackle in the season opening win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Wayback Wednesday – The First Game After 9/11
- Finding An Identity (Strong & True)
- Five Foot Nothing: Misery Without Company (Strong & True)
- @NDSportsBlogger Postgame Thoughts – Michigan (Strong & True)
- Irish In The NFL (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Tuesday’s trivia question (Only two former Notre Dame players have ever seen action in a United States Men’s National Team game, name them?) was a tough one, but the answer of Justin Morrow and Matt Besler was correct.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Hockey – Blackhawks Arrive At Notre Dame For Training Camp (LINK-WNDU) w/VIDEO
The defending NHL Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks settled into the Compton Family Ice Arena yesterday as they are set to begin on-ice activities today for the beginning of the 2013-14 NHL season training camp. A standing room only media room at Compton greeted the Blackhawks as they went through their media sessions on Wednesday afternoon. Click the link above to hear from the ‘hawks.
- 2. Football – Louis Nix Always Growing At Position (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
The play of nose guard Louis Nix doesn’t always jump off the screen when you watch a Notre Dame football game from home. But then again, the responsibility of the nose guard isn’t always to just get to the quarterback, it usually is to set the line, take up space and make the offensive line use two people to cover him. That is what Louis Nix does so well. To read more about what Nix is going through this season, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Notre Dame Backfield Still Shaking Out (LINK-ESPN)
A plethora of talent is at head coach Brian Kelly’s fingertips when he looks at the players he has at the running back position. Through the first two games Amir Carlisle has received the majority of carries for the position group that at times cant go six players deep. During the next few games expect to see Kelly using different backs in formational packages to test their mettle. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Hockey – Blackhawks Wowed By Facilities (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
When the Chicago Blackhawks players set foot on campus yesterday many of them had no idea what to expect. Some had been members of Notre Dame hockey’s former conference, the CCHA, but they never had the opportunity to play at the Compton because at the time, the new ice facility Notre Dame now touts was just a blueprint. Now those players will get their chance to play at the beautiful Compton Family Ice Arena over the next four days. Click the link above to read more about what the Blackhawks think of playing in the Compton.
- 5. Track & Field/Cross Country – Head Coach Joe Piane – If His Walls Could Talk (LINK-UND.com)
What do you find if you walk into the office of a University of Notre Dame head coach? What’s on the walls that provide some insight into the past, the interests or the philosophies of each of those individuals? During the 2013-14 athletic season, UND.com will take you into each of those offices and show and tell you about some items of significance and why they are meaningful. To read about Coach Piane’s office, click the link above
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
No Hangover For Irish Football (South Bend Tribune) – Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune looks at Notre Dame’s mindset as they enter this weekend’s battle against Purdue in West Lafayette, Ind.
Women’s Soccer Looks To Open ACC Action (UND.com) – The Irish women’s soccer team travels to North Carolina for a pair of conference matches to begin their play in the ACC.
So if you’re on campus watch out for Duncan Keith …
AG- Patrick Sharp reveals Duncan Keith wants to sit in on a class at ND and jokes that “it may be the first class he’s ever been in.”
— Jr. ND Bloggers (@JrNDBloggers) September 11, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
There will be no daily T.I.F.I. trivia today due to Upper Deck’s Trading Card Thursday Trivia promotion. Be sure to check out the official Notre Dame football blog, Strong & True, later today for a chance to win a great prize from Upper Deck.
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago