Sep 13, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Three main stories coming out of the Notre Dame athletics camp today center around either football or futbol.
Yesterday, a Fighting Irish “first” was accomplished, a former student-athlete shined in coverage on the national stage and a Notre Dame legend was lost.
On Thursday Night Football, a pair of former Irish football student-athletes took the field for the New York Jets. Brady Quinn was listed as inactive for the game while cornerback Darrin Walls played a key role in coverage and tallied a tackle in a 13-10 loss to the New England Patriots.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Wayback Wednesday – The First Game After 9/11
- Finding An Identity (Strong & True)
- Five Foot Nothing: Misery Without Company (Strong & True)
- @NDSportsBlogger Postgame Thoughts – Michigan (Strong & True)
- Irish In The NFL (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
There was no trivia yesterday as it was “Upper Deck’s Trading Card Thursday.” The contest is still open and the winner will receive an autographed Jimmy Clausen trading card. To read more, click here.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Frank Tripucka Passes Away At 85 (LINK-UND.com)
Frank Tripucka, starting quarterback on the 1948 University of Notre Dame football squad that finished 9-0-1, died this morning of congenital heart failure at his home in Woodland Park, N.J. He was 85. To read more, click the link above.
- 2. Hockey – South Bend Becomes Special Place For Hawks (LINK-Chicago Tribune) W/VIDEO
The defending Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks began the on-ice portion of training camp yesterday at Notre Dame’ Compton Family Ice Arena. The Chicago Tribune’s David Haugh fills you in at the link above.
- 3. Football – Purdue’s Offensive Line Braces For Irish Front (LINK-News Sentinel)
You will find all-americans, breakthrough athletes and five-star talent along the defensive line of the Irish, but the Purdue offensive line just doesn’t care. Look for the play of the Purdue offensive front to be the difference in the game as they go up against the best front they’ve seen all season long. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Key Matchups: Purdue/ND (LINK-UHND.com)
The guys at UHND.com have pinpointed four matchups to watch during the Purdue/Notre Dame football game on Saturday night. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Women’s Soccer – Irish Claim University First (LINK-UND.com)
Taking a cue from the U.S. Postal Service, neither a lightning delay, nor an early hiccup was going to keep No. 8 Notre Dame from making history on Thursday night. Sophomore forward Crystal Thomas collected a goal and an assist, while a pair of juniors — forward Karin Simonian and defender Sammy Scofield also scored goals as the Fighting Irish became the first Notre Dame athletics program to earn a victory in Atlantic Coast Conference play, posting a 3-1 win at North Carolina State in the league opener for both teams on a muggy Thursday night at the Dail Soccer Field in Raleigh, N.C. To read more, click the link above
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Finding The Balance (UND.com) – Former Irish All-American and three-time Olympian Kate Markgraf juggles time at home with family and as an ESPN soccer analyst.
Hockey Names New Assistant Coach (UND.com) – Former Irish defenseman, Brock Sheahan, returns to Notre Dame after five-year professional career.
Yesterday, I had the great opportunity to take around a trio of future MLB stars for the Houston Astros, Mark Appel (2013 number-one overall pick and former Stanford great), Lance McCullers (2012 first-round pick) and Rio Ruiz (2012 fourth-round pick). In town because their single-A ball club was playing the South Bend Sliver Hawks in the Midwest League Championship, they had some time to kill before heading over to the ballpark, so we gave them free reign of the place, this is what happened … (NOTE: By the end of it you could tell that Appel was getting some backlash from his friends in the Stanford community. But I can assure all Stanford fans, Appel was just trying to have some fun … I personally had a great time showing them around)
— Mark Appel (@MAppel26) September 12, 2013
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) September 12, 2013
— Mark Appel (@MAppel26) September 13, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
With the Purdue game tomorrow, let’s talk some Purdue trivia…
Name the former Notre Dame two-sport athlete who is now on the Purdue football staff?
You can answer the question in the comment box below or on twitter at @NDSportsBlogger. I will release the answer in Monday’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 40 minutes ago
- ☘️ @NDFootball's Nic Weishar has been nominated for the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. Meet Nic and his family as… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 13 hours ago
- Those #NDFamily vibes are strong! 💪 You heard @NDFootball! Vote @ndwbb for Best Play at the @ESPYS! VOTE 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 16 hours ago
- What year did @NDFootball squad travel to Baltimore for its first game against the @NavyFB? #TriviaTuesday #GoIrish 18 hours ago
- On #WorldEmojiDay, tell us about your Irish fandom in emojis! ☘️💚 #GoIrish https://t.co/OZM5gWXex4 21 hours ago