Sep 16, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Mike Franz is a sophomore at Holy Cross College and the 2013 men’s basketball beat writer for the @JrNDBloggers, this is his introduction to his readers…
Unless many of you follow Holy Cross sports, you probably wouldn’t recognize my name. Even if you did, you wouldn’t know who I was unless I was dressed as a dog. That’s right; I am the Holy Cross mascot, Basil the Saint Bernard. People have told me when they hear about Holy Cross College, two names come to mind: Rudy and Basil. My “alter-ego” has become as much a part of me over this past year as my own real name. Whether I am in the dog suit or not, one thing has remained constant: my love of sports (most importantly Notre Dame sports).
Hailing from Baltimore, Maryland, I have been fan of sports since I could first walk. I believe I knew how to do the Ray Lewis dance before I knew how to write. Cheering my Ravens onto their second Super Bowl title this past year was certainly a thrill. Just like the famous (and true) quote from the movie, Wedding Crashers, states, “Crab cakes and football…. That’s what Maryland does!!”
As a student across the road from the University of Notre Dame, it’s not always easy to go to every game, but I always make sure I do. Whether I walk, run, ride a bike or catch a ride in my friend’s car, you can usually always find me at a Notre Dame sporting event. You definitely can find my friends and I at Notre Dame volleyball games. Last year, as freshmen, we went to every single home game, and renamed ourselves the 7th Man. We always made our presence known to the opposing team by yelling throughout their serves and chanting out “Point Irish” when the home team scored a point, won a set and eventually, the match.
The opportunity to write for UNDerground is one that I will take full advantage of. The chance to be the beat writer for Notre Dame men’s basketball is one that I will seize and make the most of. Watching Notre Dame basketball for some years now (from Luke Harangody to Eric Atkins), I feel confident that I will be able offer all of you the best articles possible about your Irish as they rise to the top of the ACC.
Along with basketball, I will also be following baseball and softball. Being a lifelong Orioles fan, I am very well spoken when it comes to these sports as well. However, I will need to transfer my knowledge of Manny Machado’s acrobatic defensive plays to Ryan Bull’s solid batting average and Allie Rhodes’ ability to silence hitters bats.
So although I have a good foundation of knowledge with the sports I’m covering, I know there is always room for improvement. It is for this reason that I am excited to write for you, the Notre Dame nation and cover the teams we love to cheer for. Although there are 25 different athletic teams at Our Lady’s University, they all have the same name across the jersey – Notre Dame.
- Track. Irish Prepared For Historic Penn Relays
- Baseball. Vorsheck, Vierling Vanquish Eastern Michigan Wednesday Night
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set For Rematch With Duke In ACC Semifinals
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Seek Redemption Against Eagles
- W. Tennis. Irish Advance At ACCs After Emphatic 4-0 Victory
- Football. Notre Dame & The NFL Draft
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Land Three On All-ACC Team
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ACC Championship vs. Louisville
- W. Rowing. Martin Stone Presented Honorary Monogram
- Baseball. Irish Halt Crusaders Tuesday Night
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎾 ACC PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDMensTennis SR Josh Hagar downed the #1 NCAA doubles team with partner Eddy Covalschi.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- 📸 PHOTO OF THE WEEK #6 @NDlacrosse celebrates after beating #16 UNC 14-13 on Senior Day. Presented by @VividSeats https://t.co/UrHtYvNVYm 10 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: "When you walk down that tunnel you need to be locked in."-Brian Kelly 📽 The sideline, field & locker room from @NDFoot… 13 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH WIN AT NORTHWESTERN! @NDSoftball records 8 runs scored in 3 innings to beat Northwestern 10-2. Game Recap: und.com/sports/w-softb… 15 hours ago
- ⚾️ ND KNOCKS OFF VALPO! SR Pitcher Ryan Smoyer gave up 4 hits in 5 innings in @NDBaseball's 10-3 win over Valpo.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago