Sep 16, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
Mike Franz is a sophomore at Holy Cross College and the 2013 men’s basketball beat writer for the @JrNDBloggers, this is his introduction to his readers…
Unless many of you follow Holy Cross sports, you probably wouldn’t recognize my name. Even if you did, you wouldn’t know who I was unless I was dressed as a dog. That’s right; I am the Holy Cross mascot, Basil the Saint Bernard. People have told me when they hear about Holy Cross College, two names come to mind: Rudy and Basil. My “alter-ego” has become as much a part of me over this past year as my own real name. Whether I am in the dog suit or not, one thing has remained constant: my love of sports (most importantly Notre Dame sports).
Hailing from Baltimore, Maryland, I have been fan of sports since I could first walk. I believe I knew how to do the Ray Lewis dance before I knew how to write. Cheering my Ravens onto their second Super Bowl title this past year was certainly a thrill. Just like the famous (and true) quote from the movie, Wedding Crashers, states, “Crab cakes and football…. That’s what Maryland does!!”
As a student across the road from the University of Notre Dame, it’s not always easy to go to every game, but I always make sure I do. Whether I walk, run, ride a bike or catch a ride in my friend’s car, you can usually always find me at a Notre Dame sporting event. You definitely can find my friends and I at Notre Dame volleyball games. Last year, as freshmen, we went to every single home game, and renamed ourselves the 7th Man. We always made our presence known to the opposing team by yelling throughout their serves and chanting out “Point Irish” when the home team scored a point, won a set and eventually, the match.
The opportunity to write for UNDerground is one that I will take full advantage of. The chance to be the beat writer for Notre Dame men’s basketball is one that I will seize and make the most of. Watching Notre Dame basketball for some years now (from Luke Harangody to Eric Atkins), I feel confident that I will be able offer all of you the best articles possible about your Irish as they rise to the top of the ACC.
Along with basketball, I will also be following baseball and softball. Being a lifelong Orioles fan, I am very well spoken when it comes to these sports as well. However, I will need to transfer my knowledge of Manny Machado’s acrobatic defensive plays to Ryan Bull’s solid batting average and Allie Rhodes’ ability to silence hitters bats.
So although I have a good foundation of knowledge with the sports I’m covering, I know there is always room for improvement. It is for this reason that I am excited to write for you, the Notre Dame nation and cover the teams we love to cheer for. Although there are 25 different athletic teams at Our Lady’s University, they all have the same name across the jersey – Notre Dame.
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- Softball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- M. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Wins Over Kentucky, Cleveland State
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame's 16-Game Winning Streak Ends Against Wisconsin
- Fencing. Irish Close Out Weekend With Wins In Philly
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Clemson, 90-37
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- At Notre Dame, head coach Theresa Romagnolo stressed the importance of the #NDFamily. We now wish her well as she… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 56 minutes ago
- No. 1️⃣ @NDHockey No. 1️⃣ @NDFencing No. 5️⃣ @ndwbb Three Irish teams with top-🖐 rankings = plenty of reasons to l… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Life comes at you fast. But sometimes, @NDFootball's Te'von Coney comes at you faster. #GoIrish https://t.co/UdpGzTqlHG 2 hours ago
- After No. 5 @ndwbb earned its largest ACC win in program history, @NDSportsBlogger caught up with Kat Westbeld, who… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Junior Alex Lebedev moved to 4-0 in his career at No. 1 singles as @NDMensTennis downed Kentucky and Cleveland Stat… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago