Sep 16, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
A big Notre Dame athletics weekend for our current student-athletes as our football squad took down in-state rival Purdue, the #8 women’s soccer team went undefeated in a pair of ACC game, defeating the top-ranked Tar Heels in the process, the volleyball team stunned the Auburn Tigers in five-sets inside Purcell Pavilion and much more!
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- @NDSportsBlogger’s Postgame Thoughts – Purdue (Strong & True)
- Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau – Field Position (Strong & True)
- Watching Alone (Strong & True)
- Five Foot Nothing: Trade Off (Strong & True)
- Wayback Wednesday – The First Game After 9/11
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Friday’s trivia question (Name the former Notre Dame two-sport athlete who is now on the Purdue football staff?) was a tough one for some because you either had to be a fan of Purdue football to know it, or look it up on the internet. Nonetheless, the answer was Greg Hudson, a two-year player on the Notre Dame football squad in the mid 1980’s and the current defensive coordinator at Purdue.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Rees Making A Name For Himself (LINK-News-Sentinel)
Tommy Rees did a number of things well for the Irish in Saturday’s 31-24 victory over Purdue. Rees also continues to move up the Notre Dame record books after his 309-yard, two-touchdown performance that helped lead the Irish back from a ten-point deficit on the road in West Lafayette, Ind. To read more click the link above.
- 2. Women’s Soccer – Irish Making A Name For Themselves In ACC (LINK-ESPN)
After the Notre Dame women’s soccer team knocked off the top-ranked Tar Heels of North Carolina yesterday I read many different articles stating how the Irish were a surprise in the ACC. We know the grand history of North Carolina, but Notre Dame’s isn’t too shabby either, so their early season play shouldn’t come as a surprise to many inside the college soccer world. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Defense Delivers When It Counts (LINK-Chicago Sun-Times)
Early in the season the Notre Dame defense hasn’t been the most stout at times, yet have been in every game they have played. Along with that, the Irish defense forced Purdue to punt in key situations throughout the game and even turned yet another turnover into a touchdown (both interceptions this season for the Irish defense have been returned for touchdowns). Click the link above to learn more.
- 4. Football – Irish Still A Work In Progress (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
The Irish are 2-1 heading into their second home contest, this time against Michigan State. Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly understands that even after a 31-24 win over Purdue, the Irish still have a lot to work on. Strengthen the strengths and fix the weaknesses is the best way to put it for me. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Football – Do Tough Early Games Give Irish Edge? (LINK-Detroit Free Press)
You will never see an FCS opponent on the Irish schedule, instead you will see the likes of Purdue, Michigan State, Temple, Navy, Michigan or a host of other FBS talents on the Irish early-season slate. Does this give the Irish the edge as the season goes on? Click the link above to find out.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
The Carlisle Family Bond (ABC57) W/VIDEO – Notre Dame running back Amir Carlisle and his father had to face off in last Saturday’s football game between the Irish and the Boilermakers … well sort of. Click the link above to learn more.
Notre Dame Helmet Stickers (ESPN) – Who deserved a helmet sticker for their play last Saturday night in a 31-24 win over Purdue? ESPN’s Matt Fortuna tells us at the link above.
This is a map that sits in our office that has a pin drop for whenever someone is accessing a page on UND.com at any time…
— oak (@oaknd1) September 16, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
Let’s talk some women’s soccer…
Before this past weekend, when was the last time the women’s soccer program knocked off the number-one ranked team?
You can answer the question in the comment box below or on twitter at @NDSportsBlogger. I will release the answer in Tuesday’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
- Baseball. Notre Dame Wraps ACC Tournament Play
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In First Round of NCAA Championships
- General News. Notre Dame Among Leaders in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- M. Basketball. Irish Set To Face Oklahoma In Madison Square Garden
- Baseball. Irish Lose Lead Late, Fall to Miami
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- Baseball. Tales From the Eck: A Blog by Collin Stoecker
- Track & Field. Alan Turner Will Not Return as Irish Cross Country/Track and Field Coach
- Baseball. Irish Land Three on All-ACC Teams
- Baseball. Tully, Irish Open ACC Tournament Play
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's about more than just world-class facilities -- and @NDMensGolf has the culture to match it. #GoIrish https://t.co/bBlsdZLxIk 10 hours ago
- Back to the Big Apple! 🍎🏀 @NDmbb is headed back to @TheGarden to face Oklahoma in the Jimmy V Men's Basketball Cla… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ⬆️ That's how many Irish programs earned perfect Academic Progress Rate scores… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- 🏅 Midwest Assistant Coach of the Year 🏅 Player to Watch @NDMensTennis brought home ✌️ regional Intercollegiate Ten… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- “It is an honor to be a part of @usabasketball." @NDmbb head coach @NDMikeBrey is headed to the Olympic Training C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago