Sep 18, 2013, 10:01 AM EST
As we head to a weekend full of Notre Dame athletics, the Irish men’s soccer team put their number-one ranking to the test last night as they welcomed the Wolverines of Michigan to Alumni Stadium for a non-conference tussle on a brisk night in South Bend, Ind.
Let’s talk Notre Dame!
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a large amount of new material come out this week – catch up with the links below.
- Getting Defensive With Kory Minor (’99) – Purdue (Strong & True)
- Irish Blogger Gathering – Michigan State Week (Strong & True)
- From The Pros To College – By Craig Chval (Irish UNDerground)
- 25 Sports, One Notre Dame – By Mike Franz (Irish UNDerground)
- Life On Two Teams – By Anna Gonzalez (Irish UNDerground)
- Sullivan’s Debut Impressive For The Irish – By Mike Franz (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Tuesday’s trivia question (The Irish have score 28 or more points in each of the first three game this season, how many times (including 2013) have the Irish scored 28 or more points in each of the first three games of the year? Here’s a hint, less than 10.) was a tough one because it required some research. In the end, an answer of eight was correct.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Getting Defensive With Kory Minor ’99 – Purdue (LINK-Strong & True)
Former Notre Dame football linebacker Kory Minor (@KMine4) will be recapping the defensive play of each game in “Getting Defensive With Kory Minor.” Minor, a four-year member of the football squad, went on to the NFL for a few years and is currently traveling the country speaking at colleges, universities and corporations on leadership and the concept of winning. Minor’s first book, “Make a Touchdown of Your Life” was just released a week ago. You can order the book and keep up with Minor’s speaking at KoryMinor.com. To read Minor’s take on the Purdue game, click the link above.
- 2. Football – Early Pass Protection Strong For The Irish (LINK-ESPN)
When no one mentions the play of the offensive line in football, that is a good thing. Early in the 2013 season, I have yet to hear much about the Irish offensive front, therefore they have to be doing a solid job, right? ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna takes a look at the offensive front at the link above.
- 3. Football – ND/MSU Things To Watch (LINK-UHND.com)
Every game during the Notre Dame season is different than the next, some offenses run the spread, others are smash mouth, then there are the Academies. Nonetheless, the match-ups in each of those games will differ depending on what the Irish see on tape. The guys at UHND.com made a list of what you should watch during the ND/MSU game this Saturday at the link above.
- 4. Men’s Soccer – Irish Down Michigan In First Game At Number One (LINK-UND.com)
The University of Notre Dame men’s soccer team began Tuesday finding out they are the new No. 1 in the Soccer America poll and they finished the day living up to the ranking by topping Michigan 3-0 at Alumni Stadium. To read more, click the link above.
- 5. Women’s Soccer – Andrews Named ACC Player Of The Week (LINK-UND.com)
Notre Dame freshman midfielder Morgan Andrews has achieved a number of milestones in her young soccer career. On Tuesday morning, she recorded another first, becoming the first Fighting Irish women’s soccer player to be named Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Player of the Week in the program’s inaugural season of ACC competition.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
For The Long Haul (UND.com) – Don’t let his quiet demeanor fool you. Longtime Notre Dame coach Tim Connelly has made a lasting impact on the women’s cross country and track distance runners over the past quarter-century. Click the link to learn more.
Look, the women’s soccer team has a sense of humor! (Props to Matt Ryan for the find)
Feel like I got hit by a bus… Thanks @crysdunn_19 love u
— Cari Roccaro (@cari_roccaro) September 16, 2013
— Crystal Dunn (@crysdunn_19) September 16, 2013
— Cari Roccaro (@cari_roccaro) September 16, 2013
Let’s look at the Michigan State game from a few years back, 2006 to be exact…
We all know that Notre Dame came back from a 16-point deficit to defeat the Spartans back in 2006, but the question is … what three Michigan State players ran for 50 yards or more in the game? (Don’t cheat now…)
You can answer the question in the comment box below or on twitter at @NDSportsBlogger. I will release the answer in Thursday’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago