Sep 23, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
The Notre Dame Football team grinded out another victory on Saturday afternoon as they defeated the Spartans of Michigan State, 17-13, in front of a packed house at Notre Dame Stadium.
Additionally, the top-ranked men’s soccer team squared-off against Boston College, tying the Eagles 1-1 after both overtime periods had finished. Harrison Shipp scored the lone Irish goal in the contest.
Other athletic events that surrounded Notre Dame saw Britney Sanders and Quinn Gleason go undefeated in doubles play at the Michigan Invitational, the women’s golf team had a solid final round to finish seventh and the Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Championship and the volleyball squad dropped a pair of matches against highly-ranked foes on the road this weekend.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We had a large amount of new material come out last week – catch up with the links below.
- @NDSportsBloggers Postgame Thoughts – Michigan State (Strong & True)
- One Game At A Time (Strong & True)
- Trading Card Thursday – Brian Kelly (Strong & True)
- Costello Crosses One Off The Bucket List (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
The answer to Friday’s trivia question (When was the last time Notre Dame won three games in a row in the Michigan State football series?) has actually changed since I broached the question. The answer on Friday was 1992-1994, but after the Irish defeated the Spartans on Saturday, the answer is now 2011-2013.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Wear Green Against Oklahoma (LINK-WNDU)
Partnering with Kelly Cares, the University of Notre Dame is asking everyone who will be attending this weekend’s football game between the Irish and the Sooners to wear green. Does that mean you go out and buy the “2013 Shirt” or just a random green shirt around the house? I don’t care, just wear green … albeit it will look quite Christmassy (word?) with Sooners red going with Irish green. Click the link above to learn more.
- 2. Football – Attention To Detail Sparks Irish Defense (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
With key cogs along the 2012 defense gone to graduation and some 2013 members of the defense lost to injury for the time being, the defense that began the Michigan State game was different than we had seen all season long. With an injury to Sheldon Day along the defensive front and some movement at the inside-linebacker position to try to stabilize that position group, the Irish looked stronger and more fluid in Saturday’s victory over the Spartans. Click the link above to learn more.
- 3. Football – Irish Defense Takes Big Step Forward (LINK-Chicago Sun-Times)
In the postgame press conference, the Irish defenders spoke about their ability to limit the mistakes they made during the win over the Spartans. This week, as they square off with the Sooners from Oklahoma, it will be a different test. Click the link above to read about the progress the Irish have made this season on defense.
- 4. Softball – Wounded Warriors Celebrity Roster Announced (LINK-UND.com)
The University of Notre Dame Celebrity softball team roster has been announced for the upcoming Notre Dame Celebrity Slow-Pitch Game against the Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Team (WWAST) Sept. 29 at Melissa Cook Stadium. The charity game will follow the Irish softball team’s contest with the Wounded Warriors at 12 p.m. The event has been generously underwritten by Pete Johnson (’79), a linebacker on the 1977 Notre Dame national championship football team, and retired Major General Phillip Volpe (’77), who is serving as the official military escort for the weekend’s festivities. To read more, click the link above.
- 5. Football – Kelly Sees Progress In Escape of MSU (LINK-South Bend Tribune)
One of my favorite writers to read, Eric Hansen outlines what Notre Dame head football coach Brian Kelly sees as progress from game-to-game this season. Click the link above to learn more.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Costello Crosses One Off The Bucket List (Irish UNDerground) – The captain of the Irish hockey team, Jeff Costello, had the opportunity of a lifetime on Aug. 30. Click the link to read more.
Shamrock Stickers – Michigan State (UHND.com) – The guys at UHND.com give out their weekly Shamrock Stickers for strong play in the MSU football game. Click the link to learn who was awarded them this week.
You might not have known, but last Thursday it rained the entire day leading up to the Irish women’s soccer game that night …
— Matt Ryan (@sagcat) September 19, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Let’s look at last year’s Notre Dame-Oklahoma match up in Norman…
There is still time to answer last week’s Upper Deck Trading Card Thursday question and win an autographed card…
You can answer the question in the comment box below or on twitter at @NDSportsBlogger. The answer will be found in Thursday’s edition of “Trading Card Thursday”
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NCAA: Connection made at college golf event leads Notre Dame junior Miguel Delgado to volunteer trip in Haiti: ntrda.me/2ydiHpi… 16 hours ago
- ☝️#1 @NDMenSoccer took on Bowling Green in a midweek tussle & stayed undefeated (6-0-0) with a 2-1 victory.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 1 day ago
- LIGHT UP #1!!!! After a 5-0-0 start, @NDMenSoccer has ascended to #1 in the @UnitedCoaches Men's NCAA Soccer Poll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Go INSIDE the locker room as @NDfootball dominated BC, 49-20, racking up 600+ yards of offense in the process.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago