Sep 25, 2013, 9:47 AM EDT
Outside of the men’s golf team finishing seventh at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic, there was no live Irish athletic events going on yesterday. Instead of sitting around doing work, you should have been doing what I did last night, watch last the 2012 Oklahoma – Notre Dame game on YouTube. If you have two hours to spare, feel free to search for the game on YouTube and watch.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We had a large amount of new material come out last week – catch up with the links below.
- Getting Defensive With Kory Minor (’99) – Michigan State (Strong & True)
- Irish In The NFL – Week Three (Strong & True)
- Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau – Available Yards (Strong & True)
- Vine’ing The Michigan State Game (Strong & True)
- Big Bats, Bigger Results (Irish UNDerground)
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – The South Bend Experience (LINK-The Only Colors)
Jameson Draper of The Only Colors, the Michigan State affiliate of SB Nation, made his first trip to South Bend for a Notre Dame football game last week and documented the trip. Albeit everything he says is not the prettiest, I can’t say he is wrong about what he wrote. Is the crowd to quiet sometimes? Yes. Does Notre Dame Stadium have a Jumbotron? No. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Football – Notre Dame Run Game Looking To Breakout (LINK-ESPN)
The five-headed Irish running back corps of Cam McDaniel, George Atkinson III, Amir Carlisle, Tarean Folston and Greg Bryant has yet to make the intended splash that was thought at the beginning of the season. The reasons are plenty, but not all are bad. The play of quarterback Tommy Rees has lessened the need for a running game and when called upon to run out the clock at the end of the game, the running backs have been there to help. Click the link above to learn more of what to expect out of the running back group this weekend.
- 3. Football – Notre Dame “D” Settled (LINK-Ft. Wayne Journal Gazette)
Throughout the first four games, the Irish defense was in a state of flux, changing personnel and other aspects on the fly. After a solid performance against Michigan State, the defensive side of the ball seems to be settling down. Click the link above to learn more about the Irish defense.
- 4. Hockey – Hockey East Welcomes Irish (LINK-Boston Globe)
Notre Dame switched hockey conferences from the now-defunct CCHA to Hockey East on July 1, 2013. Hockey East’s media day was yesterday and members of the east coast media had the opportunity to talk with the Notre Dame contingent for the first time about the move. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Football – Getting Defensive With Kory Minor (LINK-Strong & True)
So far this season, former Notre Dame football linebacker Kory Minor (’99) has brought us his thoughts on the defensive-side of the ball from the previous game. This week, Minor looks at the play of the Irish defense during the Michigan State game. Click the link above to read Minor’s thoughts.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Examining The ND/OU Series (NewsOK) – Great piece that summarizes each game in the Notre Dame – Oklahoma football series.
Recent History Doesn’t Mean Much (News-Sentinel) – A unique opponent on the Irish home schedule, Oklahoma visits South Bend for the first time since 1999. Click the link to learn about how these teams have changed.
I’m thinking Grant & Max 1080* interview with Jack Swarbrick … or is it my invitation to be on the show?
Happy Hump Day everyone! Keep your eyes on our Twitter feed, cause boy do we have a treat for you today.
— Through Irish Eyes (@NDIrishEyes) September 25, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
As hockey moves to Hockey East, I must say I am going to miss have Alaska-Fairbanks around…
Yesterday’s trivia answer was Victor Oladipo (What 2013 NBA Draft Pick was high school teammates with Jerian Grant). Today’s question will revolve around football…
What Notre Dame football coach has the most wins against Oklahoma?
You can answer the question in the comment box below or on twitter at @NDSportsBlogger. The answer will be found in Thursday’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Brauer Signs With South Carolina Stingrays
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✔️ ACC All-American 📚 ✔️ @NotreDame theology grad 🎓 ✔️ NCAA Outdoor Championships competitor 👟 Now, @NDXCTF's Je… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 54 minutes ago
- RT for a chance to win! ☝️ night at the @MorrisInnND ✌️ @NDmbb tickets 🎟 When you come to campus to catch the Iri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 hours ago
- 9️⃣ new skaters, 1️⃣ stellar freshman class. Meet the new @NDHockey student-athletes you'll love watching on the i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- The #NDFamily is everywhere! 🇪🇸 As @NDLacrosse took in the sights of Madrid, @NotreDame alum Matthew Kineen taught… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 Best Team ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Moment ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Play ☑️ @ndwbb Yep, you know who we're voting for. Give… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago