Sep 28, 2013, 2:18 AM EST
A few things occurred to me last weekend while I was attending a Notre Dam football game in a unique way.
I was sitting in the press box in Notre Dame Stadium waiting for the game to start and I looked out over the stadium walls. All I could see was blue sky, a few clouds and to the north, Touchdown Jesus. (It also happened to be the Hesburgh Library’s 50th birthday.) But that’s it. That’s everything. It makes the stadium seem like that’s all there is in the world, and to Notre Dame fans on game day, the stadium and that game are the world.
So when a game isn’t going great, it seems like everything is falling apart. There were a few times last Saturday that felt like the apocalypse was nigh, but let’s face it—we Notre Dame fans can be a little melodramatic.
And from what I’ve seen and heard, we can be a little too unenthusiastic at times. Last year, the Take A StaND initiative didn’t take off as hoped, but it needed to. And it needs to again this year. Here’s how I see things: Yes, it is exhausting standing and cheering for the entire game, but if you wanted to sit down and watch the game quietly, the view from your sofa at home is pretty good. There were some times on Saturday when the entire stadium was on its feet and those moments were magical! But it should be like that from kickoff to the alma mater. I may not be good at playing sports, but I’ve gotten really good at watching them. You could say I’m sort of an expert at it; so let me say this: If you’re sitting down and staying quiet, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. Get on your feet and don’t be afraid to have a little bit of a raspy voice on Sunday—it’s actually kind of fun! Also, win or lose, you’ll enjoy the game more if you cheer more.
One more note: Be nice to the Oklahoma fans. They were so unbelievably hospitable and kind last year when I was in Norman and I want to make sure they’re shown the same kindness. Also, when I go home for fall break, I’ll be surrounded by Sooners fans and I don’t want to be tarred and feathered by anyone.
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago