Oct 3, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
Just a few Irish tidbits before we get started today.
To begin, read this fantastic article from the San Gabriel Valley Tribune on former Notre Dame football linebacker Kory Minor. It talks about how he has reached the point in his life he currently is at. Click here to read the story.
Secondly, expect United States Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann to announce the roster for the conclusion of World Cup Qualifying today. Those chosen will play for the U.S. in the final two qualifying matches. A triumvirate of Notre Dame alums have suited up for the red, white and blue this past calendar year – Matt Besler, Justin Morrow and Ryan Miller.
Lastly, be sure to tune in to the NFL Thursday night game this week to catch former Notre Dame offensive lineman Sam Young play for the Buffalo Bills against the Cleveland Browns. Just to make sure you know, Jamoris Slaughter is a member of the Browns practice squad.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We had a large amount of new material come out last week – catch up with the links below.
- Coach Waldrum’s Journal (Irish United)
- A New Tradition (Irish UNDerground)
- Dealing With Losses – Kory Minor (Strong & True)
- Irish Blogger Gathering – ASU (Strong & True)
- Paving A New Legacy: Confidence Is Key (In The Paint)
- Irish In The NFL – Week Four (Strong & True)
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Irish Revenge NCAA Loss (LINK-UND.com)
The Notre Dame men’s soccer program initiated a new member to its goal-scoring fraternity Wednesday evening when junior forward Vince Cicciarelli put the second-ranked Fighting Irish on the board in the 21st minute en route to a 2-0 victory over Indiana at Alumni Stadium. To read more, click the link above.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – Atkins Enjoying Earlier Start To Season (LINK-FW Post-Tribune)
The NCAA changed rules to when basketball practice can start, bringing the start date to practice to last week, a full week earlier than normal. senior guard Eric Atkins likes the ability to get on the court earlier in the year. Read why at the link above.
- 3. Football – Planning For Success (LINK-ESPN)
ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna takes a look at what George Atkinson III had to do to have his breakthrough game of the 2013 season against Oklahoma last weekend. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Soccer – From Coach Waldrum’s Journal – Second Post (LINK-Irish United)
Notre Dame women’s soccer head coach Randy Waldrum has been itching at the opportunity to interact with members of the Irish community through writing blogs during the Irish soccer season. You can read his second post at the link above.
- 5. Women’s Soccer – Roccaro Named NSCAA Player Of The Week (LINK-UND.com)
Notre Dame sophomore forward Cari Roccaro capped off her first week as an attacking force for the Fighting Irish by being named the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Division I National Player of the Week, the governing body announced Tuesday. Click the link above to read more.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
OU/ND Gigapixel Photo – A 360-degree photo was taken prior to the start of the ND/OU football game, click the link to find yourself or look at random people making funny faces on account of them not knowing what is going on.
A New Tradition at ND (Irish UNDerground) – Have you noticed the new statue inside Purcell Pavilion? Will a new tradition come from it? Click the link to find out.
If you didn’t know, Dillon Powers (ND Grad) and Drew Moor (IU Grad) had a fun bet on last night’s men’s soccer match between IU and ND …
— Dillon Powers (@powerhour5) October 3, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Just strumming the ole’ ukelele…
It is Thursday once again which means TRADING CARD THURSDAY!!! Be sure to pay attention to the Notre Dame football Strong & True blog for more details about winning an autographed trading card from Upper Deck.
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
- W. Soccer. Irish Continue Road Swing at Miami
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball's win vs. USC is the largest win against a top-20 team since 1992. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 31 minutes ago
- Junior @NDMensTennis player Alex Lebedev advanced at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-tenni… 2 hours ago
- The Irish look for their third win in the last four matches as @NDSoccer takes on Miami. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 3 hours ago
- The Shillelagh is home and @NDFootball alum @thejaylonsmith knows it. #GoIrish https://t.co/88eO6JwLXd 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: We're just getting started. #GoIrish https://t.co/5DSBB4LB8w 5 hours ago