Oct 7, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
Over the weekend, we saw a great victory for the Irish football squad over 22nd-ranked Arizona State in North Texas, the 2nd-ranked Irish men’s soccer team take down the 13th-ranked Clemson Tigers 2-1 to stay unbeaten and the Notre Dame hockey squad began their exhibition campaign with a 5-2 win over Guelph, a team from Canada.
Before we begin, it looks as if there are two members of the College Football Playoff selection committee will have Notre Dame ties (thus far) as Condoleezza Rice (1975 graduate with master’s in political science) and Tyrone Willingham (former Irish football coach) were reported to be joining the committee.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We had a large amount of new material come out last week – catch up with the links below.
- Irish In The NFL (Strong & True)
- Arizona State Review (Strong & True)
- Trading Card Thursday – Mike Golic (Strong & True)
- Coach Waldrum’s Journal (Irish United)
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Rees Quiets Critics (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
He may never quiet all his critics, but senior quarterback Tommy Rees did his best to try to as he threw for 279 yards and three touchdowns in a 37-34 win over 22nd-ranked Arizona State in North Texas for the Shamrock Series clash. Click the link above to read Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune’s take on Rees’ play.
- 2. Football – Five Things We Learned (LINK-NBC Sports)
Keith Arnold of NBCSports.com pens a weekly piece stating the five things that he sees from each Irish football game. This week Arnold focuses on growth, Jaylon Smith and the thought of “next man in.” To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Men’s Soccer – Shipp Saves Irish (LINK-UND.com)
A two-goal effort, including the game winner in overtime, from senior forwardHarrison Shipp propelled the second-ranked Notre Dame men’s soccer team to a 2-1 victory at No. 13 Clemson Saturday evening in Atlantic Coast Conference play at Riggs Field. The Fighting Irish (6-0-3, 3-0-2) seemed on their way to victory in regulation, but Clemson’s Ara Amirkhanian netted the equalizer in the 88th minute. It didn’t take Shipp long to end the match as he deposited a turnaround shot from 15 yards away less than two minutes into overtime. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Jaylon Smith Hanging In There (LINK-News Sentinel)
Notre Dame freshman linebacker Jaylon Smith was the first true freshman starting at linebacker in the opening game since Kory Minor and now he can say he led the team in tackles after a nine-tackle performance against Arizona State. Click the link above to learn more from his hometown paper.
- 5. Football – T.J. Jones Continues To Shine (LINK-The Observer)
T.J. Jones finished off Saturday night just three yards shy of tying his career-high in yards after he accumulated 135 on the night. Throughout his senior season, Jones has wow Irish fans (myself included) with his ability to run precise routes, have deceptive athletic ability and create separation from the defensive back. Click the link above to read more and see a tweet conversation between ESPN’s Matt Fortuna and I from Saturday night directly below.
— Matt Fortuna (@Matt_Fortuna) October 6, 2013
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Irish Begin Hockey Season Strong – The Notre Dame Fighting Irish hockey team began the preseason with a 5-2 victory over Guelph at Compton Family Ice Arena.
OU/ND Gigapixel Photo – A 360-degree photo was taken prior to the start of the ND/OU football game, click the link to find yourself or look at random people making funny faces on account of them not knowing what is going on.
Evidently Grant had already finished all of his homework for the plane ride back from Clemson …
— Grant VDC (@bigcountryND) October 6, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Officer Tim McCarthy video shown at AT&T Stadium in North Texas.
As hockey season begins, let’s look at some Irish trivia
Name the three former Irish student-athletes that are currently on NHL teams.
To answer the question, send me an email (AHorvat3@ND.edu) or talk to me on twitter @NDSportsBlogger. You can find the correct answer to the question in Tuesday’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
The winner of the special prize from last week’s trivia question (What former Irish student-athlete is the only player in NFL history to score a touchdown in a playoff game against the team that cut him in earlier in the season? — Julius Jones ran for two touchdowns for the New Orleans Saints in an NFL playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks) is Paul Doudy. Contact me at the address above to claim your prize.
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Nominee
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey Press Conference - October 19, 2017
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Honor Seniors, Take On #15 Duke Friday
- W. Volleyball. Sunshine State Bound: The Irish Are Set To Play FSU And Miami This Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Swimming & Diving Welcomes Georgia Tech on Friday
- W. Basketball. Irish Selected as ACC Preseason Favorites Once Again
- Football. Notre Dame-USC Preview: The Unrivaled Rivalry
- M. Lacrosse. NYC Networking Trip Up Next On Notre Dame Lacrosse Fall Experience
- M. Tennis. Irish Set To Compete At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Trio to Represent Irish at ACC Media Day
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's never been more dramatic than it is today. On Saturday, @NDFootball & USC showdown for the Shillelagh Trophy… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- "I can't wait to send USC back to LA [...] with a big loss." Mayor @PeteButtigieg is ready for @NDFootball gameday… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- "Any time you get to play SC, especially at our place, it's a special game." Saturday, @NDFootball takes its shot.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- One team, one town -- gameday and every day. Thank you for your service, @SouthBendFire. #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/d81wSlXXPu 3 hours ago
- Your weekend ✅list continues with four more stops off the beaten path @NotreDame. #GoIrish https://t.co/issrNnW2OA 4 hours ago