Oct 8, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
Last night was an off-day for Irish athletics as the only Irish athletes in action were two former football players, Darrin Walls and Zeke Motta.
Walls’ New York Jets defeated Motta’s Atlanta Falcons, 30-28, in a riveting Monday Night Football game. Walls registered four tackles in the game and several key coverage moments.
Do you want to see how the other former Notre Dame student-athletes fared this week in the NFL? Click here to read this week’s “Irish In The NFL.”
Also, get ready for men’s soccer alum Matt Besler and the United States men’s national soccer team’s match on Friday night for the second-to-last World Cup qualifying match in Kansas City, Mo., against Jamaica. Click here to read more about Besler.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau: Turnovers (LINK-Strong & True)
“Beyond The Box Score With Brian Fremeau” is a weekly series that takes you inside the stats with in-depth analysis through numbers and graphics. Fremeau, a 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, is a longtime writer for ESPN Insider, Football Outsiders and his personal graphical analysis website, BCFToys.com. To read about this week’s theme, turnovers, click the link above.
- 2. Football – Irish Confident Going Into Bye (LINK-ESPN)
ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna looks at the Irish at the midway point of the season. As Notre Dame enters the bye week they sit at 4-2 and in a great position to go on a winning streak throughout the middle part of the year. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Men’s Soccer – #2 Irish Set To Host #8 Terrapins (LINK-UND.com)
When the University of Notre Dame joined the Atlantic Coast Conference it opened the door for new matchups and opportunities for each sport. Tuesday evening will be such an occasion for the Fighting Irish men’s soccer team when it welcomes in perennial power Maryland for its first visit to Notre Dame. The second-ranked Fighting Irish (6-0-3, 3-0-2) and the eighth-ranked Terrapins (5-2-3, 4-0-1) will square off at 7 p.m. (ET) at Alumni Stadium. Maryland currently is tied with Wake Forest for first (13 points each) in the ACC standings and Notre Dame is in third place (11 points). To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Irish Defense Strength, But Will Be Tested (LINK-News Sentinel)
With a variety of injuries to deal with, some players on the Irish defense will be pushed into action. As the defense finds it’s footing, they will have to do so without the play of Jarrett Grace. To read more about what to expect from the Irish defense, click the link above.
- 5. Football – Bye Week Allows Rest For Defense (LINK-Chicago Sun-Times)
Defensive end Stephon Tuitt is getting a breather. Safety Max Redfield is on the list of players receiving more reps. Such is the balance
between rest and work during Notre Dame’s bye week. To read more about the plans for veteran players during Notre Dame’s bye week, click the link above.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Pitch Points: Irish Feel The Sting – Catch up on the play of the Irish women’s soccer team by clicking the link.
OU/ND Gigapixel Photo – A 360-degree photo was taken prior to the start of the ND/OU football game, click the link to find yourself or look at random people making funny faces on account of them not knowing what is going on.
This isn’t funny, but shows what what happened to Matt Besler in his last MLS game (if you don’t like blood, don’t watch) …
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) October 7, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
A new “Student. Athlete. Irish.” with men’s soccer student-athlete Max Lachowecki.
With the men’s soccer game tonight we will give away a prize to one of the people with the correct answer…
Who is the first and only Irish men’s soccer player to win the Hermann Trophy?
To answer the question, send me an email (AHorvat3@ND.edu) or talk to me on twitter @NDSportsBlogger. You can find the correct answer to the question in Tuesday’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago