Oct 8, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
On Saturday, a lot of people participated in The Color Run in downtown South Bend. As much as I would have loved to join, I was committed to another 5K—the Mara Fox Run, sponsored by Lyons Hall. Running has never been my forte. In fact, until last year, it was my foe. But then my roommate made me start working out with her and convinced me that I could run. She was right.
The more I do it, the more I enjoy it, but as an asthmatic I know I’ll never be very good at it. One thing I’ve learned from it (and it’s super cheesy, I know) is to just keep moving. One more step is all it takes. A second, and possibly more important thing I’ve learned, is that I don’t have to be the best or even better than anyone else. I just have to be better than I was yesterday. The Mara Fox Run was my first real 5K and my best time so far. I run about a 12-minute mile on average (I told you I’m bad), but yesterday I ended up running an 11:19. I’m almost positive I came in last, but I ran better than I had the day before, which is good.
But it also means now I have to run an 11:18. Gross.
Something I’ve noticed about the student body at Notre Dame is that almost everyone has a “be better than yesterday” mentality going into any challenge they face—classwork, friendships, spiritual life or athletics (which includes varsity, club, or interhall sports). That’s one of the things that I think makes Notre Dame so unique in comparison to any other school. Almost every student-athlete I’ve ever talked to has told me that one of their goals for their four years at Notre Dame is to be a better student-athlete and a better person. We’ve got our priorities straight.
- W. Basketball. Rivalry Renewal in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Track & Field. Track & Field Lands Seven on All-ACC Academic Team
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #3 - 5 ND 🏀 players reached 1,000 career pts in 2016-17. B. Colson L. Allen S. Vast… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 66 Days Coach Ara Parseghian receives the 1966 NCAA title trophy after leading @NDFootball… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- For his perseverance after the loss of his wife, @NDmbb alum Monty Williams received the @NBA Sager Strong Award. https://t.co/l0S0Qt7ur5 6 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #3-Last year Bonzie Colson led @NDmbb in scoring. He attributes his success to st… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #3-@NDHockey 2nd Team All-American Anders Bjork impacts a local 3rd grade class.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago