Oct 8, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
On Saturday, a lot of people participated in The Color Run in downtown South Bend. As much as I would have loved to join, I was committed to another 5K—the Mara Fox Run, sponsored by Lyons Hall. Running has never been my forte. In fact, until last year, it was my foe. But then my roommate made me start working out with her and convinced me that I could run. She was right.
The more I do it, the more I enjoy it, but as an asthmatic I know I’ll never be very good at it. One thing I’ve learned from it (and it’s super cheesy, I know) is to just keep moving. One more step is all it takes. A second, and possibly more important thing I’ve learned, is that I don’t have to be the best or even better than anyone else. I just have to be better than I was yesterday. The Mara Fox Run was my first real 5K and my best time so far. I run about a 12-minute mile on average (I told you I’m bad), but yesterday I ended up running an 11:19. I’m almost positive I came in last, but I ran better than I had the day before, which is good.
But it also means now I have to run an 11:18. Gross.
Something I’ve noticed about the student body at Notre Dame is that almost everyone has a “be better than yesterday” mentality going into any challenge they face—classwork, friendships, spiritual life or athletics (which includes varsity, club, or interhall sports). That’s one of the things that I think makes Notre Dame so unique in comparison to any other school. Almost every student-athlete I’ve ever talked to has told me that one of their goals for their four years at Notre Dame is to be a better student-athlete and a better person. We’ve got our priorities straight.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Ranked victories ➕ program records ➕ NCAA qualifying times = stellar fall for @NDSwimDive! #GoIrish und.com/sports/c-swim/… 26 minutes ago
- 1️⃣ A valuable degree 🎓 2️⃣ Close to family 3️⃣ Elite, competitive basketball 🏀 @ndwbb met every one of @NatAchon… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- While at Notre Dame to speak about empowering female student athletes, @espnW's @SarahSpain and @LauraCGentile spok… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- 🏃💨 @NDXCTF breaks down Jake Dumford’s school record in the 1,000! Take a look 👀 at Jake’s feat! ⤵️ #GoIrish https://t.co/n9TfCf7i2K 3 hours ago
- Did you miss Monday's @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show presented by @Tire_Rack? Catch up now, @ndwbb fans! 🔗… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago