Oct 8, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
On Saturday, a lot of people participated in The Color Run in downtown South Bend. As much as I would have loved to join, I was committed to another 5K—the Mara Fox Run, sponsored by Lyons Hall. Running has never been my forte. In fact, until last year, it was my foe. But then my roommate made me start working out with her and convinced me that I could run. She was right.
The more I do it, the more I enjoy it, but as an asthmatic I know I’ll never be very good at it. One thing I’ve learned from it (and it’s super cheesy, I know) is to just keep moving. One more step is all it takes. A second, and possibly more important thing I’ve learned, is that I don’t have to be the best or even better than anyone else. I just have to be better than I was yesterday. The Mara Fox Run was my first real 5K and my best time so far. I run about a 12-minute mile on average (I told you I’m bad), but yesterday I ended up running an 11:19. I’m almost positive I came in last, but I ran better than I had the day before, which is good.
But it also means now I have to run an 11:18. Gross.
Something I’ve noticed about the student body at Notre Dame is that almost everyone has a “be better than yesterday” mentality going into any challenge they face—classwork, friendships, spiritual life or athletics (which includes varsity, club, or interhall sports). That’s one of the things that I think makes Notre Dame so unique in comparison to any other school. Almost every student-athlete I’ve ever talked to has told me that one of their goals for their four years at Notre Dame is to be a better student-athlete and a better person. We’ve got our priorities straight.
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep DH With 6-1 Win Over Bowling Green
- Track & Field. Harris Defends Title in Women's Mile to Close Out ACC Championships
- M. Basketball. Farrell's Heroics Give Irish Road Win At Wake Forest
- Baseball. LaManna, No. 30 Irish Walk-Off Against Purdue
- Fencing. #1 Irish Women Dominate ACC Individual Competition
- W. Lacrosse. Irish prepped to take on Elon
- M. Lacrosse. Strong Fourth Quarter Pushes No. 7 Notre Dame Past Richmond, 11-7
- W. Tennis. Irish Take ACC Match From Pitt, 4-0
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Vie for Regular Season ACC Title on Sunday
- Softball. #25 Irish Close Day 2 At MNCC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💪 fourth quarter, 💪 @NDLacrosse win! The No. 7️⃣ Irish took down Richmond behind Brendan Gleason's three goals and… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- Game-winning bucket ➡️ Matt Farrell! @NDmbb downed Wake Forest behind 20-plus point efforts from Martinas Geben, M… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- The ✌️nd game of @NDWomensLax's homestand kicks off when the Irish host Elon, Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-lacro… 6 hours ago
- ☘️🔥 Green jerseys, straight fire. Catch @NDHockey as they send off the senior class in their signature green jerse… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- ✅ Top-25 showdown ✅ Senior Day ✅ ACC 🏆 on the line No. 5 @ndwbb hosts No. 21 NC State as the Irish close out the r… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago