Oct 8, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
On Saturday, a lot of people participated in The Color Run in downtown South Bend. As much as I would have loved to join, I was committed to another 5K—the Mara Fox Run, sponsored by Lyons Hall. Running has never been my forte. In fact, until last year, it was my foe. But then my roommate made me start working out with her and convinced me that I could run. She was right.
The more I do it, the more I enjoy it, but as an asthmatic I know I’ll never be very good at it. One thing I’ve learned from it (and it’s super cheesy, I know) is to just keep moving. One more step is all it takes. A second, and possibly more important thing I’ve learned, is that I don’t have to be the best or even better than anyone else. I just have to be better than I was yesterday. The Mara Fox Run was my first real 5K and my best time so far. I run about a 12-minute mile on average (I told you I’m bad), but yesterday I ended up running an 11:19. I’m almost positive I came in last, but I ran better than I had the day before, which is good.
But it also means now I have to run an 11:18. Gross.
Something I’ve noticed about the student body at Notre Dame is that almost everyone has a “be better than yesterday” mentality going into any challenge they face—classwork, friendships, spiritual life or athletics (which includes varsity, club, or interhall sports). That’s one of the things that I think makes Notre Dame so unique in comparison to any other school. Almost every student-athlete I’ve ever talked to has told me that one of their goals for their four years at Notre Dame is to be a better student-athlete and a better person. We’ve got our priorities straight.
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored As A Richter Award Finalist
- W. Basketball. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Battle Buckeyes
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Virginia Tech
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: NC State & Miami
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Eyes up. Stay tough. @NDFootball is focused at every practice. https://t.co/ehgGUFJiQJ 1 hour ago
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 19 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago