Oct 8, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
On Saturday, a lot of people participated in The Color Run in downtown South Bend. As much as I would have loved to join, I was committed to another 5K—the Mara Fox Run, sponsored by Lyons Hall. Running has never been my forte. In fact, until last year, it was my foe. But then my roommate made me start working out with her and convinced me that I could run. She was right.
The more I do it, the more I enjoy it, but as an asthmatic I know I’ll never be very good at it. One thing I’ve learned from it (and it’s super cheesy, I know) is to just keep moving. One more step is all it takes. A second, and possibly more important thing I’ve learned, is that I don’t have to be the best or even better than anyone else. I just have to be better than I was yesterday. The Mara Fox Run was my first real 5K and my best time so far. I run about a 12-minute mile on average (I told you I’m bad), but yesterday I ended up running an 11:19. I’m almost positive I came in last, but I ran better than I had the day before, which is good.
But it also means now I have to run an 11:18. Gross.
Something I’ve noticed about the student body at Notre Dame is that almost everyone has a “be better than yesterday” mentality going into any challenge they face—classwork, friendships, spiritual life or athletics (which includes varsity, club, or interhall sports). That’s one of the things that I think makes Notre Dame so unique in comparison to any other school. Almost every student-athlete I’ve ever talked to has told me that one of their goals for their four years at Notre Dame is to be a better student-athlete and a better person. We’ve got our priorities straight.
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- Cross Country. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- General News. Notre Dame Lands 434 Student-Athletes on ACC Honor Roll
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The confetti fell 🎉, the national championship trophy's home 🏆, but we need your help one more time. Help @ndwbb b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- Step on set with the Irish! 📸 🎥 @NDVolleyball sophomore libero Madison Cruzado is taking you behind-the-scenes of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- ☘️ 👉 🇮🇪 @NDLacrosse alum Conor Kelly is at the @2018WorldLax Championships representing @IrelandLacrosse! #GoIrish https://t.co/bFpVyKbOv1 5 hours ago
- Whatcha got, #NDFamily? @NDLacrosse needs a 🔥 name for their mannequin to display their 🔥 swag! 🗣 Comment below w… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣6️⃣➡️ @NDSoccer visited France 🇫🇷 during the European ⚽️ Championships and sees Croatia 🇭🇷 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago