Oct 9, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
The lone Notre Dame athletic event of the evening was a good one. The second-ranked Irish men’s soccer team welcomed the fifth-ranked Maryland Terrapins to Alumni Stadium on Tuesday night in a clash of ACC foes. A Vince Cicciarelli goal in the 59th minute put the Irish out front before the Terrapins equalized in the 72nd-minute to knot the score at one. The game would end at 1-1 to move the Irish to 6-0-4 on the season.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Defense Overcoming Doubters – Kory Minor (’99) (LINK-Strong & True)
Former Notre Dame football linebacker Kory Minor (@KMine4) recaps the play of the Irish defense each week. Minor, a four-year member of the football squad, went on to the NFL for a few years and is currently traveling the country speaking at colleges, universities and corporations on leadership and the concept of winning. Minor’s first book, “Make a Touchdown of Your Life” was just released a week ago. You can order the book and keep up with Minor’s speaking at KoryMinor.com. Click the link above to read Minor’s thoughts.
- 2. Football – Irish Bye Week Evaluations (LINK-ESPN)
ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna looks at the Irish at the midway point of the season and evaluates the Irish offense. Led by quarterback Tommy Rees and his 13 touchdowns to six interceptions, the Irish offense is beginning to take shape for the second-half of the season.
- 3. Men’s Soccer – #2 Irish Ties #5 Terrapins (LINK-UND.com)
Vince Cicciarelli gave No. 2 Notre Dame the lead in the 59th minute, yet Patrick Mullins netted the equalizer in the 72nd minute for No. 5 Maryland and the Irish and Terrapins finished deadlocked, 1-1, in Atlantic Coast Conference men’s soccer action on Tuesday evening at Alumni Stadium. Notre Dame (6-0-4, 3-0-3) controlled much of the match and held a 6-3 advantage in shots on goal. The overall shot total was 23-9 in favor of the Fighting Irish. Both sides had three corner kicks. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Basketball – Irish Returners Ready To Make Their Mark (LINK-FW Journal Gazette)
The Irish women’s basketball squad lost the most recognizable player in the history of Irish women’s sports with the graduation of Skylar Diggins. Find out how will the Irish change their style of play this season and what to expect from Notre Dame at the link above.
- 5. Football – Councell’s Ejection Not Justified (LINK-NewsOK)
Brennan Clay, the recipient of a hit by Notre Dame linebacker Ben Councell spoke to the media yesterday and talked about how Councell’s hit in the waning minutes of Oklahoma’s win over Notre Dame on Sept. 28 should have been legal. Click the link above to read more.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Davie Urges Patience – Former Notre Dame head football coach Bob Davie is making his mark in turning around New Mexico.
Redfield On The Verge – Irish five-star recruit knows what he needs to do to crack Notre Dame defensive line up. Brian Hamilton tells us more.
OU/ND Gigapixel Photo – A 360-degree photo was taken prior to the start of the ND/OU football game, click the link to find yourself or look at random people making funny faces on account of them not knowing what is going on.
I’m guessing they mean Pasquerilla East, not physical education …
Me and @K_Moore8 really wanted that PE womens flag football coaching job.
— lOUIS NIX III (@1IrishChocolate) October 9, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Did you know that Notre Dame men’s soccer alum Dillon Powers was ranked in the top-24 MLS players under 24 years of age? Yeah, me neither.
Let’s move to women’s soccer now! One of the people to correctly answer this question will get a rather random, but cool prize relating to women’s soccer…
Name the Irish women’s soccer players to win the Hermann Trophy?
To answer the question, send me an email (AHorvat3@ND.edu) or talk to me on twitter @NDSportsBlogger. You can find the correct answer to the question in Tuesday’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
Another shout out to Ross Goetz for correctly answering Joseph Lapira to yesterday’s question, who was the first and only Irish men’s soccer player to win the Hermann Trophy. Others to correctly answer the question were Patrick Sukow, Davie Dave, Irene Taylor and Tim Burke.
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
- M. Ice Hockey. Leivermann And Hellickson Selected In The 2017 NHL Draft
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #4 - How hyped @NDFootball & @Browns QB DeShone Kizer is on game day. 👀@DKizer_14 https://t.co/lRwIh5OQOE 1 hour ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #4 - @NDHockey's Ian Cole & Bryan Rust became back-to-back Stanley Cup Champs with… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #5 - @NDBaseball’s Trey Mancini homers in his MLB debut for the @Orioles. ⁰READ… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #5 - @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw named to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer und.com/sports/m-socce… 20 hours ago