Oct 14, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
A crazy weekend for Notre Dame athletics was just completed as the football squad was on a bye week, the hockey team played a home and home series against former CCHA-foe Western Michigan, the women’s soccer squad continued their torrid ACC schedule on the road against another ranked team, the men’s soccer team traveled once again in ACC play, the women’s volleyball team had a season-turning weekend and the Dennis Stark Relays were held at Rolfs in Notre Dame, Ind.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Hockey – Shutouts Galore (LINK-UND.com)
For the second time in two nights, Notre Dame senior goaltender Steven Summerhays made 22 saves as the Irish blanked Western Michigan, this time by a 3-0 score, in front of a sellout crowd of 4,114 at Lawson Arena on Saturday night. The back-to-back shutouts in the season-opening weekend mark the first time in the 46-year history of the program that the Irish have started the season with two consecutive whitewashings. To read more click the link above.
- 2. Men’s Soccer – Irish Remain Unbeaten (LINK-UND.com)
It was better late than never for the Notre Dame men’s soccer team as a goal from senior forward Harrison Shipp in the 90th minute gave the second-ranked Fighting Irish a 1-0 win over Virginia Tech on Friday evening in Atlantic Coast Conference action at Thompson Field. Notre Dame (7-0-4, 4-0-3) controlled much of the match and produced the win to remain undefeated this season. The Fighting Irish outshot the Hokies 23-13, including 9-1 in shots on goal. The Irish earned 10 corner kicks compared to five for the hosts. Despite the stat sheet discrepancy, the game seemed like it was heading to overtime as both teams approached the 90th minute scoreless. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Swimming – Irish Strong At Dennis Stark Relays (LINK-CollegeSwimming.com)
The Irish swimming program welcome a trio of solid programs to campus last week for another swimming of the Dennis Stark Relays. To see how the Irish finished, click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Soccer – #9 Irish Topped by #12 Virginia Tech (LINK-Times Dispatch)
After losing to top-ranked Virginia in overtime on Thursday night, the Irish women’s soccer team continued their road trip to Blacksburg, Va., to take on the 12th-ranked Hokies. In a hard fought match, the Irish were not able to net a goal. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Hockey – Two-Minute Power Play With Steven Fogarty (LINK-Irish UNDerground)
Anna Gonzalez took the time to sit down with Irish student-athlete and hockey player Steven Fogarty to go over some off the wall questions for him to answer. Click the link above to read more.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
… And I Bring The Losses (Unless You Are Women’s Hoops) – Yesterday, Notre Dame’s manager of social media, Christianne Harder, talked about how where she went, success followed (you can read that here). Today, I give you the story of the@NDSportsBlogger. I fully expect to be fired by days end (and hired by Coach McGraw). Enjoy…
OU/ND Gigapixel Photo – A 360-degree photo was taken prior to the start of the ND/OU football game, click the link to find yourself or look at random people making funny faces on account of them not knowing what is going on.
Never fall asleep where people can see you … best advice my dad ever gave me other than “don’t spit into the wind…”
Caught Boss sleeping during our 2 hour delay! pic.twitter.com/mBSLpXAqNl
— ND Men’s Soccer (@NDMenSoccer) October 12, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
It’s USC week! Let’s begin by reliving last year’s victory.
It’s USC week…
When was the last time there was rain at Notre Dame Stadium during a Notre Dame-USC game that the Irish won and who was the coach?
To answer the question, send me an email (AHorvat3@ND.edu) or talk to me on twitter @NDSportsBlogger. You can find the correct answer to the question in Tuesday’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
- W. Golf. Irish Foursome Named To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Top ACC Scholar-Athlete For Second Straight Year
- Track. Irish Alums Wrap Weekend At USATF Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Fischer, Gilbert Taken in NHL Draft
- W. Basketball. Ali Patberg Added To USA Basketball U19 World Championship Team
- Monogram Club. Molly Huddle ('06, track) Captures 10,000-Meter U.S. Title
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The question isn't if an ND alum wins an ESPY, it's how many. Jerian(Top Play) Skylar(WNBA) ESPYS.com/vote http://t.co/BeBmSPO4zG 15 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW:If you lay the "Golden Dome" on its side, only 2 separate @IvyQuad from ND? Info: bit.ly/1J5MFNO http://t.co/TpuLttUeR1 16 hours ago
- Not a bad week for @NDmbb's Jerian Grant. 🏀NBA 1st Round Pick 🍀@ESPYS Best Play Nominee What's Next? #NDinNBA twitter.com/ndmbb/status/6… 1 day ago
- 🏈2 @NDFootball Alums ⛳️2 ND Golf Coaches 1 Great Cause 🚴@NDscience's Road To Discovery ended at Pebble Beach #NPC http://t.co/3tPefytlRl 2 days ago
- 2 sports. 4 draft picks. Solid week for @NDmbb & @NDHockey. Congrats, Jerian, Pat, Christian & Dennis! http://t.co/rvNqryylrc 3 days ago