Oct 17, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
This week for “Two-Minute Power Play,” I talked to a guy on the team who had arguably the best weekend of any Notre Dame student-athlete. After two shutout wins in a row (3-0 and 4-0 wins), which included 44 saves from him, senior goaltender Steven Summerhays was named the Hockey East Co-Defensive Player of the Week. The Anchorage, Alaska native answered my mostly non-hockey questions after answering the first of many questions this year about goaltending. Here’s what he said.
Do you have any superstitions? No. I’m not a superstitious goalie at all.
What’s your favorite movie? Oh, I have to go with Happy Gilmore.
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “Not-Weird Guy”
What actor would play you in your biopic? I’d have to say Brad Pitt.
What’s your favorite meal? Ooh! Tacos.
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? A non-running sport. Maybe baseball. I’d be a pitcher.
What is your favorite Notre Dame tradition? I’d say the fight song after a win.
What’s your favorite thing about Coach Jackson? His intensity.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? That Verizon Wireless Guy. That commercial dude. The one where it’s like, “it’s a pain in the buns.” That guy’s hilarious. Note: Summerhays means the AT&T Guy. You know? The one who talks to the kids. Here’s the commercial he’s talking about:
What would be the perfect day for you? I’d say just a night out on the lake fishing, hanging out.
When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? Besides a hockey player, a doctor.
If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? “Go on vacation around Europe.”
Do you have any interesting talents? “I’m a great racquetball player.”
Do you have a pre-game routine? “Play soccer—we call it “kicks”— and ping-pong in the morning.” Are you good at ping-pong? “I’d say I’m the best on the team. Jeff Costello might not agree.”
What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at ND? “Behavioral Finance.”
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? “I don’t know. Gladiator times, I guess.”
What’s your favorite song to listen to before games? “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go).” (First, Summerhays said “Ayo for Yayo” by Andre Nickatina & San Quinn, but changed it to the Wham! hit.)
What do you miss most about home? “Mom’s cooking.”
What surprises people most about you? “A whole lot, haha! Just my overall…oh man, I don’t know. I guess my ping-pong and foosball skills.”
Where is your favorite place in the entire world? “The Kenai River, which is where my family goes to fish and camp.”
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
- Cross Country. Irish Announce Cross Country Class of 2021
- Fencing. Irish To Be Well-Represented At Senior World Championships
- M. Basketball. Maui Invitational Tournament Will Begin With Chaminade
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Why
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 43 Days In 1943 QB Angelo Bertelli won @NDFootball's 1st Heisman Trophy, the same year ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- ☘ ND Stadium is Going Green! LED Lights Food Donations Game Day Recycling Learn about our sustainability efforts: und.com/sports/biggert… 23 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The 3 new buildings at ND Stadium are big enough for a queen. Literally. At 800,000 sq. feet, they're almost as big as… 1 day ago
- The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go fr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- In 3,000,000 hours of labor we: Renovated ND Stadium & constructed 3 buildings. That's how long it takes Earth to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago