Oct 17, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
This week for “Two-Minute Power Play,” I talked to a guy on the team who had arguably the best weekend of any Notre Dame student-athlete. After two shutout wins in a row (3-0 and 4-0 wins), which included 44 saves from him, senior goaltender Steven Summerhays was named the Hockey East Co-Defensive Player of the Week. The Anchorage, Alaska native answered my mostly non-hockey questions after answering the first of many questions this year about goaltending. Here’s what he said.
Do you have any superstitions? No. I’m not a superstitious goalie at all.
What’s your favorite movie? Oh, I have to go with Happy Gilmore.
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “Not-Weird Guy”
What actor would play you in your biopic? I’d have to say Brad Pitt.
What’s your favorite meal? Ooh! Tacos.
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? A non-running sport. Maybe baseball. I’d be a pitcher.
What is your favorite Notre Dame tradition? I’d say the fight song after a win.
What’s your favorite thing about Coach Jackson? His intensity.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? That Verizon Wireless Guy. That commercial dude. The one where it’s like, “it’s a pain in the buns.” That guy’s hilarious. Note: Summerhays means the AT&T Guy. You know? The one who talks to the kids. Here’s the commercial he’s talking about:
What would be the perfect day for you? I’d say just a night out on the lake fishing, hanging out.
When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? Besides a hockey player, a doctor.
If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? “Go on vacation around Europe.”
Do you have any interesting talents? “I’m a great racquetball player.”
Do you have a pre-game routine? “Play soccer—we call it “kicks”— and ping-pong in the morning.” Are you good at ping-pong? “I’d say I’m the best on the team. Jeff Costello might not agree.”
What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at ND? “Behavioral Finance.”
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? “I don’t know. Gladiator times, I guess.”
What’s your favorite song to listen to before games? “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go).” (First, Summerhays said “Ayo for Yayo” by Andre Nickatina & San Quinn, but changed it to the Wham! hit.)
What do you miss most about home? “Mom’s cooking.”
What surprises people most about you? “A whole lot, haha! Just my overall…oh man, I don’t know. I guess my ping-pong and foosball skills.”
Where is your favorite place in the entire world? “The Kenai River, which is where my family goes to fish and camp.”
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- W. Tennis. Robinson Named Program's First National Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- Baseball. Irish Embark On Postseason Play
- Football. Drue Tranquill Named To Lott Trophy Watch List
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: NCAA Singles Championship
- Baseball. Vierling Nabs All-ACC Nod
- Football. Sam Mustipher Named To Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎾 NCAA TITLE QUEST Get to know @NDMensTennis’ Josh Hagar before his 1st NCAA Singles Tourney. Wed. | 1:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago
- ☘ Dream Chasers! @NDlacrosse stars chosen for U.S. National Team tryout. Matt Landis Matt Kavanagh Sergio Perkovic und.com/sports/m-lacro… 15 hours ago
- 🎓 To our 2017 student-athlete grads, We're proud of you. We believe in you. Thanks for being a part of the… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏆 4 @ACCTrackField Titles ☘ 2016 ACC Performer of the Year 🙌 Headed to NCAA Regionals Get to know @NDXCTF's Anna R… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏈 On @NDFootball coach Ara Parseghian's 94th birthday, take a look back at his 2nd national title. 1973 Sugar Bowl… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago