Oct 21, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
A huge weekend in Irish athletics has come to a conclusion after the football team secured a 14-10 victory over USC, the fourth-ranked hockey squad picked up a pair of wins over Michigan Tech, men’s soccer defeated NC State in a thriller and the women’s soccer and volleyball lost narrow matches in ACC play.
Before we begin, former men’s soccer student-athlete Dillon Powers has been named the Colorado Rapids MVP for his play during the 2013 season. On the season, Powers tallied five goals and six assists after being drafted 11th in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft. Click here to read more.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Starting From The Bottom (LINK-Strong & True)
Paqui Kelly (wife of head football coach Brian Kelly) and director of football administration Beth Rex took the trip of a lifetime as they attempted to climb Mount Rainier last July. Were they able to cross “climb Mount Rainier” off the bucket list? Click the link above to find out.
- 2. Football – 5 Keys To Irish Win Over USC (LINK-News Sentinel)
Tom Davis of the News-Sentinel takes a look at the five keys to the Irish victory over USC. He looks into Stephon Tuitt to Tommy Rees and beyond. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Football – The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Notre Dame vs. USC (LINK-NBC Sports)
Keith Arnold of NBC Sports notes a few things the Irish should hang their hat on, what they need to change and what needs to be fixed before this weekend. Click the link above to read more.
- 4. Football – Taking A Look At Rees’ Value (LINK-ESPN.com)
Matt Fortuna of ESPN.com writes about the importance of Tommy Rees to the Irish offense and need for Rees to play well to ensure victory for the Irish. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Men’s Soccer – #2 Irish Come From Behind vs. NC State (LINK-UND.com)
The second-ranked Notre Dame men’s soccer team overcame a 1-0 halftime deficit with second-half goals from Patrick Hodan and Max Lachowecki to claim a 2-1 victory over North Carolina State on Saturday evening at Dail Soccer Stadium. The win keeps the Irish undefeated this season. To learn more, click the link above.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Irish Remain Undefeated With 7-3 Win Over Michigan Tech (UND.com) – Freshman Vince Hinostroza and sophomore Sam Herr scored two goals each to lead Notre Dame to a 7-3 win over Michigan Tech on Sunday afternoon in front of 4,248 at the Compton Family Ice Arena. Click the link to learn more.
Rees Expected To Be Ready For Air Force (FW Journal-Gazette) – After being injured in the third-quarter of Saturday’s game against USC, quarterback Tommy Rees is working to be ready for this Saturday’s game at Air Force.
Have you seen the new Zamboni wraps at Compton?
— Matt Cashore (@mattcashore) October 20, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Take a look at the riveting speech from Coach Kelly before and after Saturday’s victory over USC.
Let’s talk football…
When was the last time the Irish had a trio of players drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft and who were the three student-athletes selected?
You will find the answer to today’s trivia question in tomorrow’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NCAA: Connection made at college golf event leads Notre Dame junior Miguel Delgado to volunteer trip in Haiti: ntrda.me/2ydiHpi… 16 hours ago
- ☝️#1 @NDMenSoccer took on Bowling Green in a midweek tussle & stayed undefeated (6-0-0) with a 2-1 victory.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 1 day ago
- LIGHT UP #1!!!! After a 5-0-0 start, @NDMenSoccer has ascended to #1 in the @UnitedCoaches Men's NCAA Soccer Poll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Go INSIDE the locker room as @NDfootball dominated BC, 49-20, racking up 600+ yards of offense in the process.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago