Oct 28, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
With a huge weekend of Irish athletics behind us and a huge week ahead, we have a lot to get to.
First off, on the professional scene, former Notre Dame baseball student-athlete John Axford (’05) toed the rubber last night in game four of the Major League Baseball World Series, pitching 1 1/3 no-hit innings, striking out two and walking one.
Tonight is the beginning of a new journey for the Notre Dame men’s basketball team as they open up their season (well, their exhibition season) against in-state University of Indianapolis tonight at 7 p.m. (ET). You can watch the game for free at WatchND.tv.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Irish Depth Showing At Right Time (LINK-ESPN)
During the 45-10 victory over Air Force, a variety of injuries started to pile up for the Irish, forcing many down the depth chart to step up and play meaningful plays. Unlike recent years, the Irish depth showed up to perform to the highest standard. To read more, click the link above.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – The Journey Begins (LINK-UND.com)
The 2013-14 season has finally arrived for the University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team, well sort of. While exhibition games don’t count in terms of records and statistics for the year, these contests allow coaches to evaluate personnel and they give teams the opportunity to play against opponents other than themselves. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Freshmen Making Impact (LINK-Boston Herald)
There were freshmen on both sides of the ball that helped the Irish secure a 45-10 victory over Air Force last week. Jaylon Smith shined on the defensive side of the ball, while a plethora freshmen receivers made an impact along with running back Tarean Folston. Click the link above to learn more.
- 4. Women’s Soccer – Irish Headed To ACC Tourney (LINK-Chicagoland Soccer News)
The #20/12 ranked Irish women’s soccer team took to the pitch against Clemson yesterday and came away with a 2-0 victory, securing their spot in the ACC Tournament. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Football – Notre Dame Shamrock Stickers (LINK-UHND.com)
After a resounding 45-10 victory over Air Force, the guys at UHND handed out their shamrock stickers for the student-athletes performance against the Falcons. To learn more, click the link above.
Garrick Sherman: basketball player, lumberjack, philosopher…
“You miss 0% of the shots you don’t take” – Garrick Sherman
— Garrick Sherman (@gsherm11) October 24, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Just because John Axford is in the World Series, I felt it was needed to give him and his mustache some props. Stache Act.
Let’s talk John Axford…
After graduating from Notre Dame with a degree in Film, Television and Theatre, Axford played his final season at what school?
We will be giving out a Notre Dame baseball related prize to one of the correct answers to this trivia question that is submitted to @NDSportsBlogger on twitter or to AHorvat3@ND.edu. The winner will be chosen at random from the pool of correct answers.
- M. Golf. Irish End First Day at Prestige at PGA West
- W. Soccer. Norman ('07) Named Notre Dame Women's Soccer Head Coach
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Roll Into ACCs For Conference Championship Meet
- Track & Field. Yared Nuguse Named ACC Track Performer of the Week
- Fencing. Irish Youth Perform Well At Junior Olympic Championships
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Kristina Nelson hit career highs in 3️⃣ categories as No. 5 @ndwbb downed Boston College on Sunday. Don't miss Kri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 29 minutes ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb in the newest episode of Podward Notre Dame. The storytellers of Fighting Irish Med… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- 🥇 Samantha Viqueira 🥇 Stephen Ewart @NDFencing recorded top performances at the Junior Olympic National Champions… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- After @NDCoachNorman was introduced as the newest head coach of @NDSoccer, the well wishes poured in from around th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- No. 19 @NDSwimDive is gearing up for action at the 2018 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships, starting Wednesday!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago