Oct 31, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
After the women’s basketball team won their first exhibition game handily last night, we look forward to a huge weekend of Irish athletics this weekend.
Before we begin, Notre Dame men’s soccer alum Dillon Powers and his MLS squad, the Colorado Rapids played the wild-card match of the MLS Cup playoffs last night, losing to the Seattle Sounders 2-0. Powers, who recently garnered team MVP recognition, was unable to play in the game due to a concussion suffered in a recent contest. If you would like to learn about the other Irish alums in the MLS Cup Playoffs, click here.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Touring The House That Rockne Built (LINK-Strong & True)
The athletic department sent our new intern Marco on a tour of Notre Dame Stadium recently and we forced him to tell us about his experience. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – Athlon Sports Season Preview (LINK-Athlon Sports)
The nationally-ranked Irish men’s basketball team will begin their season shortly and now is the time to get a look at the squad. Athlon Sports is as good as they come when you talk hoops, so click the link above to read about the 2013-14 Irish men’s basketball team.
- 3. Football – Planning For Success (LINK-ESPN)
A weekly piece from ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna looks at what the Irish need to accomplish this weekend to come out on top. Click the link above to read more.
- 4. Football – The Admiral And His Son (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
We all know that Cory Robinson’s dad is former NBA center David Robinson, what some may not know is what will David do this weekend as his alma mater (Navy) faces off against Cory’s Irish. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Football – Smith Making His Mark (LINK-News-Sentinel)
Fort Wayne area linebacker Jaylon Smith has started at outside linebacker since the first game of the season, yet it seems that as of late the tackles have started to finally add up. Click the link above to learn about how Smith has evolved.
Former Notre Dame soccer player Matt Besler dressed up like Aurelien Collin, his defensive backline mate, yikes…
— Teal Bunbury (@TealBunB) October 31, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
One of the coolest parts of the weekend is when the Irish join the Midshipmen after the game to sing Navy’s “Blue and Gold.”
It is Thursday, so check out Trading Card Thursday on the Strong & True football blog later today for a chance to win an autographed Notre Dame football trading card.
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
- M. Tennis. Hagar Falls In NCAA Championship Second Round
- Track & Field. Harris Receives Academic All-District Honors
- W. Rowing. Rowing Ready For NCAA Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she scored… 2 hours ago
- Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she sc… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- ND Headed to NCAA Championships! @NDXCTF qualifies for NCAA Track & Field Championships for the 26th straight year. und.com/sports/c-track… 10 hours ago
- 🚨 STANLEY CUP WATCH Thurs. @NDHockey & @Penguins defending Stanley Cup champs Bryan Rust & Ian Cole advanced to fi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ Ready. Set. Row! Friday, @NDRowing returns to NCAA Championships for the 9th time in program history. INFO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago