Nov 1, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
Leaves are changing, temperatures are dropping and the “permacloud” is making it’s way to Michiana. November is here, and that means so are the mustaches. Last year, Notre Dame hockey started their Movember movement–also known as No-Shave November–to raise awareness for prostate and testicular cancer. This year, they’re at it again.
Stephen Johns, the senior defenseman from Wampum, Pa., brought the movement to Notre Dame as a way to not only raise money for cancer research, but also benefit the team.
“One of my friends plays out east, and his team did it, so I caught wind of it,” Johns said. “We all know people who suffer from cancer and I thought it was a great opportunity to put Notre Dame hockey in a good spotlight. I thought it was a good team bonding thing, too. It’s just kind of a funny thing, just growing out mustaches. But all the guys come together to do something, and it builds team morale.”
Because last year was the inaugural year, there was no real fundraising goal. “We just wanted to raise as much as possible,” stated Johns. “We started kind of late and didn’t get everything together until the middle of the month, but we raised around $3,000 or $4,000 last year.”
This year, the goal is simple: beat last year. Johns said that fake mustaches will be sold at hockey games for $2 each (these are mostly necessary for us, ladies), and there will be silent auctions, team dinners and tours of Compton Family Ice Arena with the student-athletes in an effort to raise the money.
Since the team isn’t usually allowed to have facial hair, playoff beards and Movember mustaches are a big deal. Whether yours looks like the Charlie Chaplin, Tom Selleck, Salvador Dali or a humble Clark Gable, it’s the month for mustaches. So sport yours proudly and always remember that philanthropy is manly.
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State: Five Things to Watch
- W. Soccer. Irish Fall to #4 Duke
- W. Volleyball. Fry, Holt And Johnson Selected As Volleyball Captains
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Off To Virginia Tech For Hokie Clash
- W. Golf. #15 Women’s Golf Heads To Oklahoma
- W. Volleyball. Irish Open ACC Play At Louisville And NC State
- Baseball. Fall Baseball Opens With Pair Of Scrimmages
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 1 @NDMenSoccer heads to Virginia Tech Friday. 📈: bit.ly/1kOoj2O 💻: es.pn/2wJEvIg #GoIrish ntrda.me/2fELKLZ 4 hours ago
- No. 15 @NDwomensGolf heads to the @SchoonerFC on Saturday. 📈: bit.ly/2ffdS7M #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-golf/… 17 hours ago
- Ready to shine in prime time. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 18 hours ago
- .@NDvolleyball is ready to take on @theACC. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-volle… 19 hours ago
- Thursday. Alumni Stadium. Time for @NDSoccer to white-out No. 4 Duke. 🎟: bit.ly/2xk44Bz 💻:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago