Nov 1, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
Leaves are changing, temperatures are dropping and the “permacloud” is making it’s way to Michiana. November is here, and that means so are the mustaches. Last year, Notre Dame hockey started their Movember movement–also known as No-Shave November–to raise awareness for prostate and testicular cancer. This year, they’re at it again.
Stephen Johns, the senior defenseman from Wampum, Pa., brought the movement to Notre Dame as a way to not only raise money for cancer research, but also benefit the team.
“One of my friends plays out east, and his team did it, so I caught wind of it,” Johns said. “We all know people who suffer from cancer and I thought it was a great opportunity to put Notre Dame hockey in a good spotlight. I thought it was a good team bonding thing, too. It’s just kind of a funny thing, just growing out mustaches. But all the guys come together to do something, and it builds team morale.”
Because last year was the inaugural year, there was no real fundraising goal. “We just wanted to raise as much as possible,” stated Johns. “We started kind of late and didn’t get everything together until the middle of the month, but we raised around $3,000 or $4,000 last year.”
This year, the goal is simple: beat last year. Johns said that fake mustaches will be sold at hockey games for $2 each (these are mostly necessary for us, ladies), and there will be silent auctions, team dinners and tours of Compton Family Ice Arena with the student-athletes in an effort to raise the money.
Since the team isn’t usually allowed to have facial hair, playoff beards and Movember mustaches are a big deal. Whether yours looks like the Charlie Chaplin, Tom Selleck, Salvador Dali or a humble Clark Gable, it’s the month for mustaches. So sport yours proudly and always remember that philanthropy is manly.
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 2x Olympian ☘ 4x NCAA Champ 🌎 #1 World Ranking Lee Kiefer ('17) leaves her @NDFencing legacy. FULL VIDEO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- ☘ Navigating Notre Dame Stadium just got a whole lot easier. New signage in the concourse will lead you to your se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2n… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- ☘ The view of Notre Dame Stadium from the video board! Ready for 80,000+ @NDFootball fans. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/lK6hUMxrTG 1 day ago