Nov 1, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
Leaves are changing, temperatures are dropping and the “permacloud” is making it’s way to Michiana. November is here, and that means so are the mustaches. Last year, Notre Dame hockey started their Movember movement–also known as No-Shave November–to raise awareness for prostate and testicular cancer. This year, they’re at it again.
Stephen Johns, the senior defenseman from Wampum, Pa., brought the movement to Notre Dame as a way to not only raise money for cancer research, but also benefit the team.
“One of my friends plays out east, and his team did it, so I caught wind of it,” Johns said. “We all know people who suffer from cancer and I thought it was a great opportunity to put Notre Dame hockey in a good spotlight. I thought it was a good team bonding thing, too. It’s just kind of a funny thing, just growing out mustaches. But all the guys come together to do something, and it builds team morale.”
Because last year was the inaugural year, there was no real fundraising goal. “We just wanted to raise as much as possible,” stated Johns. “We started kind of late and didn’t get everything together until the middle of the month, but we raised around $3,000 or $4,000 last year.”
This year, the goal is simple: beat last year. Johns said that fake mustaches will be sold at hockey games for $2 each (these are mostly necessary for us, ladies), and there will be silent auctions, team dinners and tours of Compton Family Ice Arena with the student-athletes in an effort to raise the money.
Since the team isn’t usually allowed to have facial hair, playoff beards and Movember mustaches are a big deal. Whether yours looks like the Charlie Chaplin, Tom Selleck, Salvador Dali or a humble Clark Gable, it’s the month for mustaches. So sport yours proudly and always remember that philanthropy is manly.
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Brings Home Four Nations Tournament Title
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Server Room
- W. Soccer. ACC Network Extra to Broadcast 13 Matches
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Flag Pole
- Football. Notre Dame Schedules Wisconsin In 2020 & 2021
- Softball. Limited Spots Remain For Irish Softball Fall Clinic
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish Sail By Omaha 2-0 In Exhibition Debut
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish Open Exhibition Schedule At Omaha
- Football. New Look for Irish Football Spaces
- W. Soccer. Hendricks' Compassion Felt Around the World
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Hey, Julian Love! What’s your favorite part of ND Stadium? Video Board? Locker Room? @NDSportsBlogger caught u… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- 🏈 New to Notre Dame Stadium! A visitors tunnel has been added near the north end zone. Here's an exclusive look w… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- ☘ VISITING TEAM LOCKER ROOM The old benches from ND Stadium have been repurposed to create lockers for visiting te… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- 🏈 Another look at the server room for the video board! Massive online storage allows us to record & replay the bes… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📽 Engine Driving the Video Board 6,000+ Cables Massive Online Storage ⁰Check out the server room that powers the @NDFo… 1 day ago