Nov 1, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
Leaves are changing, temperatures are dropping and the “permacloud” is making it’s way to Michiana. November is here, and that means so are the mustaches. Last year, Notre Dame hockey started their Movember movement–also known as No-Shave November–to raise awareness for prostate and testicular cancer. This year, they’re at it again.
Stephen Johns, the senior defenseman from Wampum, Pa., brought the movement to Notre Dame as a way to not only raise money for cancer research, but also benefit the team.
“One of my friends plays out east, and his team did it, so I caught wind of it,” Johns said. “We all know people who suffer from cancer and I thought it was a great opportunity to put Notre Dame hockey in a good spotlight. I thought it was a good team bonding thing, too. It’s just kind of a funny thing, just growing out mustaches. But all the guys come together to do something, and it builds team morale.”
Because last year was the inaugural year, there was no real fundraising goal. “We just wanted to raise as much as possible,” stated Johns. “We started kind of late and didn’t get everything together until the middle of the month, but we raised around $3,000 or $4,000 last year.”
This year, the goal is simple: beat last year. Johns said that fake mustaches will be sold at hockey games for $2 each (these are mostly necessary for us, ladies), and there will be silent auctions, team dinners and tours of Compton Family Ice Arena with the student-athletes in an effort to raise the money.
Since the team isn’t usually allowed to have facial hair, playoff beards and Movember mustaches are a big deal. Whether yours looks like the Charlie Chaplin, Tom Selleck, Salvador Dali or a humble Clark Gable, it’s the month for mustaches. So sport yours proudly and always remember that philanthropy is manly.
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 1 hour ago
- ☘️ @NDFootball's Nic Weishar has been nominated for the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. Meet Nic and his family as… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 14 hours ago
- Those #NDFamily vibes are strong! 💪 You heard @NDFootball! Vote @ndwbb for Best Play at the @ESPYS! VOTE 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 16 hours ago
- What year did @NDFootball squad travel to Baltimore for its first game against the @NavyFB? #TriviaTuesday #GoIrish 18 hours ago
- On #WorldEmojiDay, tell us about your Irish fandom in emojis! ☘️💚 #GoIrish https://t.co/OZM5gWXex4 22 hours ago