Nov 11, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Let’s start by seeing how some former Irish student-athletes are doing in the professional ranks.
First off, in MLS Cup Playoff action there is a trio of Irish men’s soccer alums still in contention as the conference championship round began this weekend.
Sporting KC and Matt Besler finished the first leg in a 0-0 tie with the Houston Dynamo in the Eastern Conference Championship.
In the Western Conference Championship, Aaron Maund’s Real Salt Lake hold a 4-2 lead over Ryan Miller’s Portland Timbers after the first leg.
An interesting note to think about … since the beginning of the 2013-14 school year, a former Notre Dame student-athlete has had his/her team participate in every major U.S. sporting league final – Devereaux Peters won the WNBA Championship with the Minnesota Lynx and John Axford pitched in the World Series for the St. Louis Cardinals. This streak will continue through the MLS Cup final as well.
Now, what did we miss…
1. Football – Five Things We Learned (LINK-NBC Sports)
Keith Arnold from NBC Sports tells us the five things we learned from Notre Dame’s 28-21 setback to Pitt. Click the link above to read more.
2. Football – Shamrock Stickers – Pitt (LINK-UHND.com)
The writers at UHND.com hand out 3-4 “Shamrock Stickers” after each game for performances by the Irish in that week’s game. Click the link above to see who received them after the Pitt game.
3. Hockey – Lucia Returns Home (LINK-NHL.com)
Don Lucia, a 1981 graduate of Notre Dame, returned back to South Bend as the head coach of the top-ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers. His son Mario is a member of the Irish hockey team. Click the link above to read more.
4. Men’s Basketball – Sherman Bounces Back (LINK-South Bend Tribune)
After a tough opening game against Miami (OH), Irish big man Garrick Sherman got back on track. Click the link above to read more.
5. Football – Jones Climbing In Record Books (LINK-South Bend Tribune)
Senior captain T.J. Jones continues to have a fantastic senior season for the Irish. Click the link above to learn where T.J. currently sits among other Irish greats.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle
I will say, about 25 people showed up later … but come on students! You can do better!
The few. The proud. The legion. pic.twitter.com/gnYJ11kthH
— Andrew Bartolini (@NDworkhorse) November 10, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Today’s video has nothing to do with athletics, but everything to do with Notre Dame.
We will be giving away a prize to one of the people who enter the correct answer…
Who was the last Notre Dame men’s basketball player to win an NBA title?
You will find the answer to today’s trivia question in Tuesday’s T.I.F.I.
Wednesday’s question (Can you name the four people that were previously honored in the Ring in Purcell Pavilion?) was answered correctly by a variety of people. The correct answer is Luke Harangody, Ruth Riley, Austin Carr and Adrian Dantley.
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
- Cross Country. Irish Announce Cross Country Class of 2021
- Fencing. Irish To Be Well-Represented At Senior World Championships
- M. Basketball. Maui Invitational Tournament Will Begin With Chaminade
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Why
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 43 Days In 1943 QB Angelo Bertelli won @NDFootball's 1st Heisman Trophy, the same year ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- ☘ ND Stadium is Going Green! LED Lights Food Donations Game Day Recycling Learn about our sustainability efforts: und.com/sports/biggert… 23 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The 3 new buildings at ND Stadium are big enough for a queen. Literally. At 800,000 sq. feet, they're almost as big as… 1 day ago
- The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go fr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- In 3,000,000 hours of labor we: Renovated ND Stadium & constructed 3 buildings. That's how long it takes Earth to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago