Nov 12, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
It’s been a month since the Notre Dame Hockey season began. Here’s the gist of what’s happened in the last 31 days.
- The Irish are 7-3-0. Their losses came from Minnesota-Duluth, Vermont, and Minnesota.
- For the first time in recent school history, the Irish tallied shutouts in the first two games of the season, 4-0 and 3-0 wins over Western Michigan.
- They’ve only swept or split series–no outright losses.
- In their 10 games so far, the Irish have not been shutout. The lone scorers in their single-goal losses were junior Austin Wuthrich against Minnesota-Duluth and senior Bryan Rust against Vermont.
- Injuries are building up, forcing Coach Jeff Jackson to dig deep into the line-up. Currently, junior Eric Johnson and sophomore Thomas DiPauli are out with upper-body injuries, and freshman Vince Hinostroza took a hard hit in the second game against Minnesota. Hinostroza left the ice for the remainder of that game, and it looks like he might be out for a little while with a lower-body injury.
- Sophomore Sam Herr got a running start out of the gate this season. He’s currently the leading goal-scorer for the Irish with 6 goals. Both Coach Jackson and Herr himself credit his success this season to a build-up in confidence. Herr said, “My confidence is a lot better from what’s been happening. I just try to go in every game and keep it simple…I use my size to my advantage to get pucks to the net, and it’s been rewarding me so far.”
- Freshman Vince Hinostroza isn’t looking too shabby either. With three goals and nine assists for a 12-point total, he’s the leading scorer (points) for Notre Dame, an impressive start to his college career.
- The team kicked of Movember, in which the team members grow mustaches to raise awareness for prostate and testicular cancer. You can donate to the team’s fundraising effort by clicking here.
- Goaltender Steven Summerhays is ranked in the Top-1o for goaltending on both collegehockeynews.com and USCHO.com. He has a grand total 220 saves and sports a .928 save percentage on the season.
- Because of their 47-51 penalty-killing record (92.2%), USCHO.com ranks Notre Dame fourth in penalty-killing among all squads in the country.
- As of today, Notre Dame remains #4 in the USCHO.com Division 1 poll.
So you can expect more in November. More Hockey East opponents (Merrimack and UMass-Lowell), more mustaches, more energy, more games and more victories.
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
- M. Tennis. Hagar Falls In NCAA Championship Second Round
- Track & Field. Harris Receives Academic All-District Honors
- W. Rowing. Rowing Ready For NCAA Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she scored… 1 hour ago
- Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she sc… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- ND Headed to NCAA Championships! @NDXCTF qualifies for NCAA Track & Field Championships for the 26th straight year. und.com/sports/c-track… 10 hours ago
- 🚨 STANLEY CUP WATCH Thurs. @NDHockey & @Penguins defending Stanley Cup champs Bryan Rust & Ian Cole advanced to fi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ Ready. Set. Row! Friday, @NDRowing returns to NCAA Championships for the 9th time in program history. INFO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago