Nov 15, 2013, 9:18 AM EST
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
This junior right wing doesn’t have bad seasons. One of just two Alaskans on the team this year, Austin Wuthrich was the top rookie scorer for the Irish his freshman year, scored the CCHA Championship game-winning goal against Michigan last year and the luck is sure to continue into this season. Here’s the “Two-Minute Power Play with Austin Wuthrich…”
- If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “Goofy.”
- If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Baseball. First base.
- If you had a time machine, when would you go to? I would go into the future when I was in my 50s after the kids got out of the house and I was traveling all over the world.
- What’s your favorite meal? Filet mignon steak with potatoes au gratin and asparagus.
- What would your perfect day consist of? Waking up at 9:30 in a beach house, hanging out by the water all day, boogie boarding, surfing, and ending the day just laying around.
- Do you have any interesting talents? I’m actually a pretty good surfer.
- Do you have a pre-game routine? I do not have a set pre-game routine. Go with the flow—do what everyone’s doing. Sometimes I play kicks. Actually, there is one difference: kicks with the guys on the road, but I don’t play at home.
- Do you have any superstitions? Getting of the ice during warm-ups, my last shot has to be a good shot.
- What’s your favorite song to listen to before games? “Safe and Sound” by Capital Cities
- Who is your celebrity crush? Either Sandra Bullock or Brooklyn Decker.
- What’s the best thing about your home state (Alaska)? During the summer, it’s light all the time, so you can do all sorts of outdoor activities. It never gets dark.
- What’s your favorite movie? “Green Street Hooligans”
- What is your guilty pleasure song or band? I don’t think I have one right now. A couple years ago, it was Taylor Swift’s “Fifteen.”
- What was your favorite TV show when you were a kid? Full House
- Would you rather be Jack Swarbrick or Fr. Jenkins for a day? Why? Swarbrick. I want to see how all the other sports teams go through their day-to-day stuff.
- What was your favorite school subject when you were a kid? Geography
- What surprises people most about you? Probably how goofy I am once you get to know me.
- What is your favorite place in the entire world? At the beach house that my family rents every other summer in Southern California near Ventura.
- What is the best gift you’ve ever received? It was a gift for all us kids, but our yellow lab for Christmas.
- What is the best thing since sliced bread? Homemade cookies.
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- Softball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- M. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Wins Over Kentucky, Cleveland State
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame's 16-Game Winning Streak Ends Against Wisconsin
- Fencing. Irish Close Out Weekend With Wins In Philly
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Clemson, 90-37
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- At Notre Dame, head coach Theresa Romagnolo stressed the importance of the #NDFamily. We now wish her well as she… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- No. 1️⃣ @NDHockey No. 1️⃣ @NDFencing No. 5️⃣ @ndwbb Three Irish teams with top-🖐 rankings = plenty of reasons to l… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Life comes at you fast. But sometimes, @NDFootball's Te'von Coney comes at you faster. #GoIrish https://t.co/UdpGzTqlHG 2 hours ago
- After No. 5 @ndwbb earned its largest ACC win in program history, @NDSportsBlogger caught up with Kat Westbeld, who… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Junior Alex Lebedev moved to 4-0 in his career at No. 1 singles as @NDMensTennis downed Kentucky and Cleveland Stat… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago