Nov 25, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
Kevin Hassett is a senior sabreist from Beaverton, Oregon. He’s a civil engineering major and currently lives in O’Neill Hall. Why did he choose Notre Dame?
“My sister went here -she was also a fencer, and she really enjoyed the atmosphere,” Kevin said. His sister, Eileen, was a four time All-American with the women’s saber team. He was also motivated by his family, Notre Dame’s engineering program, and the possibility of a fencing scholarship with a premiere collegiate team. After graduation, he plans on returning to Oregon and finding an engineering job there.
Eileen also had a part in getting Kevin into fencing in the first place. “My older sister initially got into fencing because of the Olympic gold medalist Mariel Zagunis. Her brother was in her class and she had a crush on him and he also fenced, so she started fencing and my mom thought it would be something that I could try out as well, so I tried it out and liked it as well.”
Perhaps not the most typical way to get into a sport, but the rest of the team must be thankful that he did. His sophomore year, he came in 7th at the NCAA Championships and 9th as a junior. His goal for this year is to win an even higher place at the championships. He said he wants to try to get in the top four this year because that’s first-team All-American. He believes that the team will continue to remain very competitive nationally. Hassett wants “to see our team get in the top two or three teams at NCAAs.”
Fun Fact about Kevin Hassett: His best Halloween costume ever was Jafar his senior year of high school. “My sisters love dressing me up for different things,” he said. One of his sisters even used real hair when creating his mustache and beard.
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 50 minutes ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 23 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago
- On Sunday @JoshHagar & Eddy Covalschi beat the #1 NCAA doubles team. Thurs. they take on ACC Championship 2nd Roun… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago