Nov 25, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
Kevin Hassett is a senior sabreist from Beaverton, Oregon. He’s a civil engineering major and currently lives in O’Neill Hall. Why did he choose Notre Dame?
“My sister went here -she was also a fencer, and she really enjoyed the atmosphere,” Kevin said. His sister, Eileen, was a four time All-American with the women’s saber team. He was also motivated by his family, Notre Dame’s engineering program, and the possibility of a fencing scholarship with a premiere collegiate team. After graduation, he plans on returning to Oregon and finding an engineering job there.
Eileen also had a part in getting Kevin into fencing in the first place. “My older sister initially got into fencing because of the Olympic gold medalist Mariel Zagunis. Her brother was in her class and she had a crush on him and he also fenced, so she started fencing and my mom thought it would be something that I could try out as well, so I tried it out and liked it as well.”
Perhaps not the most typical way to get into a sport, but the rest of the team must be thankful that he did. His sophomore year, he came in 7th at the NCAA Championships and 9th as a junior. His goal for this year is to win an even higher place at the championships. He said he wants to try to get in the top four this year because that’s first-team All-American. He believes that the team will continue to remain very competitive nationally. Hassett wants “to see our team get in the top two or three teams at NCAAs.”
Fun Fact about Kevin Hassett: His best Halloween costume ever was Jafar his senior year of high school. “My sisters love dressing me up for different things,” he said. One of his sisters even used real hair when creating his mustache and beard.
- W. Volleyball. Johnson Announces Volleyball Staff For Upcoming Season
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ @ndwbb alum ☘️ @WNBA All-Star ☘️ 💪 role model It's no surprise @SkyDigg4 earned this year's Dawn Staley Communi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- For @NDFootball alum @DurhamSmythe, the @NFL is exactly where he is supposed to be. #GoIrish https://t.co/fsB35eefNI 5 hours ago
- Don't know if you should cheer for #TeamParker or #TeamDelleDonne at the #WNBAAllStar Game? Spoiler alert, there ar… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 hours ago
- Just 5️⃣0️⃣ days away until @NDMensGolf tees off at the Badger Invitational! Check out the full ☘️ schedule! 👇… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- This is not a drill. 1️⃣0️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ hours until ☘️🏈. @NDFootball 🆚 〽️ 📆 September 1st ⏰ 7:30 p.m. ET 📺 @NDonNBC… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago