Nov 25, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
Kevin Hassett is a senior sabreist from Beaverton, Oregon. He’s a civil engineering major and currently lives in O’Neill Hall. Why did he choose Notre Dame?
“My sister went here -she was also a fencer, and she really enjoyed the atmosphere,” Kevin said. His sister, Eileen, was a four time All-American with the women’s saber team. He was also motivated by his family, Notre Dame’s engineering program, and the possibility of a fencing scholarship with a premiere collegiate team. After graduation, he plans on returning to Oregon and finding an engineering job there.
Eileen also had a part in getting Kevin into fencing in the first place. “My older sister initially got into fencing because of the Olympic gold medalist Mariel Zagunis. Her brother was in her class and she had a crush on him and he also fenced, so she started fencing and my mom thought it would be something that I could try out as well, so I tried it out and liked it as well.”
Perhaps not the most typical way to get into a sport, but the rest of the team must be thankful that he did. His sophomore year, he came in 7th at the NCAA Championships and 9th as a junior. His goal for this year is to win an even higher place at the championships. He said he wants to try to get in the top four this year because that’s first-team All-American. He believes that the team will continue to remain very competitive nationally. Hassett wants “to see our team get in the top two or three teams at NCAAs.”
Fun Fact about Kevin Hassett: His best Halloween costume ever was Jafar his senior year of high school. “My sisters love dressing me up for different things,” he said. One of his sisters even used real hair when creating his mustache and beard.
- W. Volleyball. Irish Open Spring Slate Against Ball State On Saturday
- M. Lacrosse. #4 Notre Dame Ready To Face Buckeyes At Ohio Stadium
- Baseball. Notre Dame Opens ACC Home Slate
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Returns to West Coast for the Bighorn Invitational
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Off To Solid Start At NCAAs
- Football. Pro Day: Several Hours of Hushed Assessments
- Baseball. SCHEDULE CHANGE: Friday First Pitch at 5:05 p.m. ET
- Softball. Irish, UNC Clash In 2018 Melissa Cook Stadium Opener
- Fencing. Irish Tied For First After Day One At NCAA Championships
- W. Basketball. Irish Head West in Hopes of Spokane Regional Title
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Home sweet home! 🏠 @NDSoftball plays its home opener on Friday at 5 p.m. ET against ACC foe UNC. Get ready for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- With 🔟 points on Day 2, No. 19 @NDSwimDive moves into the top 2️⃣5️⃣ at NCAA Championships! Read up on Zach Yeadon… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- "Top-seeded @NDHockey battles Michigan Tech in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament, Friday at 3 p.m. ET on ESPN… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- After Day ☝️ at NCAA Championships, @NDFencing is tied for the lead behind Amanda Sirico in epee and Elyssa Kleiner… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- The blades are sharpened, the matchup's set. It's tourney time. @NDHockey battles Michigan Tech in the first round… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago