Nov 25, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
In August of this year, Julian visited the University of Notre Dame for the first football game of the season versus Temple. Shortly afterwards, the 10-year-old from Evanston, Ill. was diagnosed with leukemia and began intense treatment. Despite the drastic change in his life, Julian has been able to keep up with his home fencing club.
He attended the exhibition meet against Northwestern on November 16th and quickly befriended senior foilist Alan Markow and senior saberist Kevin Hassett. But Julian wasn’t only there to watch the meet. The team designated him an honorary member of the Irish fencing squad and even named him an honorary captain for the day. All he had to do was sign a contract, which he did eagerly (after he and his friend Jack carefully looked over the terms and conditions, of course).
Both the Irish and the Wildcats presented Julian and Jack with flags, shirts, hats, and bags and the boys got to sit with the team for the rest of the day. Julian even got a private saber lesson with Hassett during the meet.
Before the team competition, he took on his role as captain and flipped the coin that would determine the order of the bouts. Julian and Jack cheered on the Irish in the team competition along with the rest of the fencers and joined in the post-meet huddle after the victory.
Go Irish! Beat Cancer!
- W. Tennis. Irish Breeze To 7-0 Season-Opening Victory Over Broncos
- M. Tennis. Lebedev, Howells Sweep ACC Weekly Honors
- Swimming & Diving. Coumos Earns Second ACC Diving Citation Of Season
- Football. Jeff Quinn Named Notre Dame Offensive Line Coach
- Softball. #NDSB30 Top Five: 2000s
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Announces Resignation as Irish Women’s Soccer Coach
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Named ACC Player of the Week
- M. Lacrosse. Men's Lacrosse Announces Two Preseason Exhibitions
- W. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Combine Veteran Experience With Young Talent
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Get ready for @NDWomensTennis' 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣ campaign by catching up on all you need to know before the Irish hit th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- Go behind-the-scenes with all things Fighting Irish Media and learn how the pros of @NDFIM tell the best stories of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- After coaching 1️⃣2️⃣ @NFL linemen, Jeff Quinn has been named @NDFootball's Offensive Line coach. Congratulations,… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Before @NDSoftball's 30th season kicks off on February 9, take a look 👀 back at the best Irish moments of the 2000s… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Who do you think is this week’s @tire_rack Student-Athlete of the Week? Vote now! #GoIrish 15 hours ago