Nov 25, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
In August of this year, Julian visited the University of Notre Dame for the first football game of the season versus Temple. Shortly afterwards, the 10-year-old from Evanston, Ill. was diagnosed with leukemia and began intense treatment. Despite the drastic change in his life, Julian has been able to keep up with his home fencing club.
He attended the exhibition meet against Northwestern on November 16th and quickly befriended senior foilist Alan Markow and senior saberist Kevin Hassett. But Julian wasn’t only there to watch the meet. The team designated him an honorary member of the Irish fencing squad and even named him an honorary captain for the day. All he had to do was sign a contract, which he did eagerly (after he and his friend Jack carefully looked over the terms and conditions, of course).
Both the Irish and the Wildcats presented Julian and Jack with flags, shirts, hats, and bags and the boys got to sit with the team for the rest of the day. Julian even got a private saber lesson with Hassett during the meet.
Before the team competition, he took on his role as captain and flipped the coin that would determine the order of the bouts. Julian and Jack cheered on the Irish in the team competition along with the rest of the fencers and joined in the post-meet huddle after the victory.
Go Irish! Beat Cancer!
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NCAA: Connection made at college golf event leads Notre Dame junior Miguel Delgado to volunteer trip in Haiti: ntrda.me/2ydiHpi… 18 hours ago
- ☝️#1 @NDMenSoccer took on Bowling Green in a midweek tussle & stayed undefeated (6-0-0) with a 2-1 victory.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 1 day ago
- LIGHT UP #1!!!! After a 5-0-0 start, @NDMenSoccer has ascended to #1 in the @UnitedCoaches Men's NCAA Soccer Poll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Go INSIDE the locker room as @NDfootball dominated BC, 49-20, racking up 600+ yards of offense in the process.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago