Nov 30, 2013, 12:48 AM EST
With little time to rest after Thanksgiving feasts and Black Friday shopping, the Notre Dame, Alabama-Huntsville, Northeastern, and Western Michigan hockey teams all met at Comptom Family Ice Arena to kick off the 2013 Shillelagh Tournament. After four teams in one night, the ice on the Lefty Smith rink is ready for a short break.
The tournament, hosted by Notre Dame, kicked off in South Bend at 4:05 on Friday with Northeastern playing Western Michigan. The game between the Broncos and the Huskies ended in a 2-1 overtime win for Northeastern.
Notre Dame and the University of Alabama-Hunstville kicked off only slightly off schedule at 7:45. The first period was goal-heavy and penalty-light. Irish defenseman Andy Ryan scored his first career goal on a power play at 4:08. At 10:19, TJ Tynan scored his third goal of the season. Less than a minute later, defenseman Stephen Johns put the puck in the net as well, giving the Irish a 3-0 lead over the Chargers. With 21 seconds left at the end of the first period, Jeff Vanderlugt of UAH scored to reduced the Irish lead to 3-1. The only penalty of the period was on Alabama-Hunstville’s Graeme Strukoff for hooking.
The second period found the last of both goals and penalties. The first second-period goal, and last goal of the night for the Chargers, came from UAH’s Vanderlugt. Two minutes later, Mario Lucia scored increasing the Irish lead to 4-2. Shortly after Lucia’s goal, a third Notre Dame defensive goal was scored by Robbie Russo with a short-handed Irish team on the ice. The period’s three penalties were all called on Notre Dame: Sam Herr for tripping, David Gerths for high sticking, and Johns for holding. There were no goals or penalties for either team in the third period.
The injury-laden Notre Dame squad found some freshmen on the ice more than usual, several players double-shifting, and required Coach Jackson to shuffle around some positions. Sophomore Sam Herr moved from his normal position as left wing to center, and, more notably, freshman Ben Ostlie moved from defense to right wing. In another switch, due to reasons other than injury, freshman Chad Katunar tended the Notre Dame goal for the entire 60 minutes. Despite rumors of starting goaltender Steven Summerhays sitting out on injury, Coach Jackson reported that the switch was just to give Katunar more experience, and that Summerhays is healthy.
On Saturday night, Notre Dame will play Northeastern at 7:35 to win the shillelagh after Western Michigan and Alabama-Huntsville vie for third place at 4:05. Both games will be streamed on Watch ND and on NBCSports.com.
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago