MONDAY’S T.I.F.I. – Hoops Hero Returns, Soccer Super Bowl Saturday, Shipp Shape, Power Play With DiPauli & More!
Dec 2, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT
We are back after a long Thanksgiving weekend and we have a lot to catch you up on in Notre Dame athletics!
First off, if you’re a Notre Dame soccer fan, this upcoming Saturday is your Super Bowl. At 4 p.m. (ET) two Irish alums – Matt Besler (Sporting KC) and Aaron Maund (Real Salt Lake) – take to the pitch in the MLS Cup Final in a winner-take-all match on ESPN.
After watching the MLS Cup Trophy ceremony, get over to Alumni Stadium (or watch on WatchND.tv) to watch the current crop of Irish soccer student-athletes attempt to make their first NCAA College Cup (National Semifinals). The NCAA quarterfinal match at Alumni Stadium pits the third-seeded Irish against 11-seed Michigan State at 7 p.m. (ET).
Now, what did we miss…
1. Football – Five Things We Learned (LINK-NBC Sports)
NBC Sports’ Notre Dame football writer Keith Arnold penned his postgame piece regarding what we learned during the previous week’s game. Click the link above to read more about Saturday’s game against Stanford.
2. Men’s Soccer – Irish Move One Step Closer To College Cup (LINK-Chicagoland Soccer)
The Irish move into the quarterfinal round for the third time in program history after a 4-2 win over Wake Forest last night at Alumni Stadium. click the link above to read more.
3. Women’s Basketball – Guelph’s Hoops Hero Returns (LINK-Guelph Mercury)
Natalie Achonwa, a three-time NCAA national semifinalist and Canadian National Team member, finally had the opportunity to suit up in her native land as a member of the Irish. Click the link above to read more about Achonwa’s homecoming in Canada.
4. Men’s Soccer – Irish In Shipp Shape (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
One of the big reasons that the Irish copped the third-seed in this year’s NCAA Championship is senior Harrison Shipp. Recently, the Chicago Tribune caught up with Coach Clark and Shipp to look into how “The Wizard” came to South Bend to play soccer. Click the link above to read more.
5. Hockey – Getting To Know Thomas DiPauli (LINK-Irish UNDerground)
Anna Gonzalez of @jrNDbloggers continues her interview series, “Two-Minute Power Play With Thomas DiPauli.” Click the link above to read DiPauli’s answers to these hard-hitting questions.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle
When in doubt, go with your gut (or your ND-allegiances) …
@rakesofmallow made a blatant homer trade for him and golden in my work FF league. Worked out way better than expected
— Steve (@PootND) December 2, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Take a look at the final regular season football game of the year for the Irish in Fighting Irish Digital Media’s ICON video series…
Let’s talk basketball…
What was unique to how both Eric Atkins and Jerian Grant reached 1,000 career points at Notre Dame?
You will find the answer to today’s trivia question in Tuesday’s T.I.F.I.
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸 2x Olympian ☘ 4x NCAA Champ 🌎 #1 World Ranking Lee Kiefer ('17) leaves her @NDFencing legacy. FULL VIDEO: https://t… 3 hours ago
- 🏈 Don't miss a game in ND Stadium. Single game @NDFootball tickets are now on sale! TIX: UND.com/BuyTickets https://t.co/UrnofgXBea 4 hours ago
- 🏈 For the Student Section! Like the @NDFootball locker room, students get a "Play Like a Champion Today" sign to h… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- 🇺🇸Congrats to @NDMenSoccer alums Matt Besler '09 & Justin Morrow '10 on winning the 2017 Gold Cup with the U.S. Men… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- 🏈 Attention to Detail The lettering at each gate in Notre Dame Stadium has been replaced & revamped.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago