Dec 2, 2013, 8:14 AM EDT
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
If you looked at sophomore Thomas DiPauli‘s background, you probably wouldn’t expect that he played hockey – or to be as good at it as he is. The Irish left winger was born in Caldaro, Italy and moved stateside when he was 12 to play hockey in Chicago. From Italy to Illinois and now Indiana; DiPauli is bringing his diverse hockey experience (and an Italian flag) to the Compton Family Ice Arena.
Here’s the Two-Minute Power Play with Thomas DiPauli…
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “The Story of Sketchy Dips.”
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Soccer—forward.
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? Time of the dinosaurs, because I love dinosaurs.
Who would play you in your biopic? Vinnie Hinostroza
What’s your favorite meal? Any kind of seafood.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? I’d wanna be Thor.
What would be the perfect day for you? A day out on the beach with my brother and my best friends fishing and having a good time.
If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? Buy a boat with my brother and go fishing all day, and travel around on fishing trips.
Do you have any superstitions? A lot, but I don’t talk about them.
Who is your celebrity crush? Jessica Alba. And Thor.
Favorite month of the year? April. It’s my birthday and spring starts. I love spring. But I also like July because it’s really warm out.
What’s your favorite movie? There are so many good ones. I like “Iron Man 3.” “Life of Pi.” “How To Train Your Dragon.” I think that’s good.
What is your guilty pleasure song or band? I like “We Can’t Stop.” I like it a lot, actually.
What four people would you want to go golfing with? Sidney Crosby, Jesus, my brother, and Wayne Gretzky.
What was your favorite TV show when you were a kid? “Spongebob.” Actually, my favorite was “The PowerPuff Girls.” It’s such a good show!
Would you rather be Jack Swarbrick or Fr. Jenkins for a day? Fr. Jenkins, because it seems like a cool thing to be in charge of the whole university.
What do you miss most about home? My mom and dad’s cooking and family dinners.
What is your favorite place in the entire world? I’ve got two. The rink, obviously. And being out on boat fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.
What is the best gift you’ve ever received? When I was 10, I got this wooden Silver Easton hockey stick for Christmas, and I thought it was the coolest thing because no one else had one. But then it broke. It sucked.
What do you think is the best thing since sliced bread? A good, crunchy apple. Wait, no, let’s make this funny. Self-tanner, gym memberships, techno music and fist pumping. And tats.
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 2x Olympian ☘ 4x NCAA Champ 🌎 #1 World Ranking Lee Kiefer ('17) leaves her @NDFencing legacy. FULL VIDEO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- ☘ Navigating Notre Dame Stadium just got a whole lot easier. New signage in the concourse will lead you to your se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2n… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- ☘ The view of Notre Dame Stadium from the video board! Ready for 80,000+ @NDFootball fans. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/lK6hUMxrTG 1 day ago