MONDAY’S T.I.F.I. – Talkin’ Irish Soccer/Golf Alums, Pinstripe Bowl, Men’s Hoops, Dancing In December & More!
Dec 9, 2013, 10:46 AM EST
A historic weekend of Notre Dame athletics has just been completed with the Irish grabbing a plethora of victories on the playing field.
Aside from the Irish accepting a bowl bid to play in the Pinstripe Bowl in New York City, the men’s soccer team captured their first College Cup semifinal berth, Matt Besler (Irish soccer alum) won the MLS Cup with Sporting KC in penalty kicks over Real Salt Lake and Max Scodro (Irish golf alum) finished in tie for 15th in the final PGA-LA event of the season.
Now, what did we miss…
1. Football – Pinstripe Bowl Bound (LINK-Journal Gazette)
The Irish have now officially been invited to four-straight bowl games after accepting the offer from the Pinstripe Bowl to play on Dec. 28. Click the link above to learn more.
2. Men’s Soccer – Dancing In December (LINK-Soccer America)
The Irish men’s soccer team has already made program history, now they’re looking to make national waves. Registering their first College Cup semifinal berth, the men’s soccer squad now turns their sights to Philadelphia and New Mexico. Click the link above to learn more
3. Men’s Basketball – The Complete Game (LINK-In The Paint)
Pat Connaughton tallied his second double-double of the season on Saturday night in a 80-75 win over Delaware. Click the link above to read more.
4. Women’s Basketball – Irish Women Rout UCLA (LINK-The Seattle Times)
Welcoming UCLA to Purcell Pavilion on Saturday was supposed to challenge the Irish a bit before the ACC slate begins in a few weeks. Click the link above to read about the game.
5. Swimming – Irish Dominate In Iowa (LINK-South Bend Tribune)
The Irish swim teams travelled to Iowa to take part in the Hawkeye Invitational, coming back with two titles. To read more, click the link above.
… to be young again …
— Ryan Grooms (@NDFBEquipment) December 8, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
Watch the highlights of Saturday night’s historic win for the Irish men’s soccer team …
Let’s talk men’s soccer…
Matt Besler has had a pretty good year. Name the two trophies and two MLS honors he has garnered this season.
You will find the answer to today’s trivia question in Tuesday’s T.I.F.I.
Yesterday’s question, After Garrick Sherman’s 29-point effort last night I started thinking about this … who was the last Irish men’s basketball player to score 30 points in a game (kind of a trick question), was answered correctly by a few people. The answer was February 28, 2011 and Tim Abromaitis and Ben Hansbrough both tallied 30 points.
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
- W. Basketball. No. 6/5 Women's Hoops to Head West on Oregon Trail
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Five Things to Watch
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 8 minutes ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 1 hour ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 2 hours ago
- Wimbush to Stepherson x ✌️ @NDFootball takes the 24-17 lead with 11:49 left in the fourth quarter! Get to NBC!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago