Dec 29, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Stephen Johns is quite the presence. First off, he’s 6’4″ and weighs in at 233 lbs–not small by any means in the world of hockey. Then there’s the fact that in his first three years on the Notre Dame hockey team, he played in all but one game, and despite having the chance to sign with the Chicago Blackhawks this past summer, fulfilling the childhood dream of being a professional hockey player, he chose to stay at Notre Dame. Finally, he was responsible for Notre Dame hockey’s “Movember” initiative to support prostate and testicular cancer research. Here’s your “Two-Minute Power Play” with senior defenseman and 2013-14 alternate captain, Stephen Johns.
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “Meat Mode”
What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving
What was your favorite TV show when you were a kid? Cat-Dog
Favorite month of the year? November. I like when it gets cold.
What actor would play you in your biopic? Ashton Kutcher
Do you have a pre-game routine? Play soccer and stretch.
What’s the first item on your bucket list? Buy a boat—just like a speedboat or something like that.
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? I’d go way back! Caveman days.
What would be the perfect day for you? Beach with family and two dogs
Would you rather be Jack Swarbrick or Fr. Jenkins for a day? Jack Swarbrick. I’m not very holy.
Do you have any interesting talents? I’m exceptionally good at Call of Duty
What’s your favorite thing about your home state (Pennsylvania)? Hunting Season
What surprises people most about you? That I’m a teddy bear.
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Golf
When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? NHL Hockey Player
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Thailand
What was your favorite school subject when you were a kid? Math
What is your favorite Notre Dame tradition? White-Out Night at the Compton
What’s the best Halloween costume you’ve ever had? Ever had or ever seen? I mean, the best costume I ever had was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. The best I’ve ever seen was this year when [freshman] Ben Ostlie was the Michelin Man. He had a fan to inflate it and everything.
What do you miss most about home? My mom’s cooking.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
- M. Tennis. Irish On Tour: Pro Round-Up
- W. Volleyball. DeJarld Named AVCA Honorable Mention All-American
- W. Soccer. Yu Garners United Soccer Coaches Academic All-Region Honors
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Ranked victories ➕ program records ➕ NCAA qualifying times = stellar fall for @NDSwimDive! #GoIrish und.com/sports/c-swim/… 27 minutes ago
- 1️⃣ A valuable degree 🎓 2️⃣ Close to family 3️⃣ Elite, competitive basketball 🏀 @ndwbb met every one of @NatAchon… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- While at Notre Dame to speak about empowering female student athletes, @espnW's @SarahSpain and @LauraCGentile spok… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- 🏃💨 @NDXCTF breaks down Jake Dumford’s school record in the 1,000! Take a look 👀 at Jake’s feat! ⤵️ #GoIrish https://t.co/n9TfCf7i2K 3 hours ago
- Did you miss Monday's @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show presented by @Tire_Rack? Catch up now, @ndwbb fans! 🔗… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago