Dec 29, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Stephen Johns is quite the presence. First off, he’s 6’4″ and weighs in at 233 lbs–not small by any means in the world of hockey. Then there’s the fact that in his first three years on the Notre Dame hockey team, he played in all but one game, and despite having the chance to sign with the Chicago Blackhawks this past summer, fulfilling the childhood dream of being a professional hockey player, he chose to stay at Notre Dame. Finally, he was responsible for Notre Dame hockey’s “Movember” initiative to support prostate and testicular cancer research. Here’s your “Two-Minute Power Play” with senior defenseman and 2013-14 alternate captain, Stephen Johns.
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “Meat Mode”
What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving
What was your favorite TV show when you were a kid? Cat-Dog
Favorite month of the year? November. I like when it gets cold.
What actor would play you in your biopic? Ashton Kutcher
Do you have a pre-game routine? Play soccer and stretch.
What’s the first item on your bucket list? Buy a boat—just like a speedboat or something like that.
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? I’d go way back! Caveman days.
What would be the perfect day for you? Beach with family and two dogs
Would you rather be Jack Swarbrick or Fr. Jenkins for a day? Jack Swarbrick. I’m not very holy.
Do you have any interesting talents? I’m exceptionally good at Call of Duty
What’s your favorite thing about your home state (Pennsylvania)? Hunting Season
What surprises people most about you? That I’m a teddy bear.
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Golf
When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? NHL Hockey Player
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Thailand
What was your favorite school subject when you were a kid? Math
What is your favorite Notre Dame tradition? White-Out Night at the Compton
What’s the best Halloween costume you’ve ever had? Ever had or ever seen? I mean, the best costume I ever had was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. The best I’ve ever seen was this year when [freshman] Ben Ostlie was the Michelin Man. He had a fan to inflate it and everything.
What do you miss most about home? My mom’s cooking.
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago