Jan 16, 2014, 6:49 PM EDT
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Canadian-born Shayne Taker was destined for hockey. From Surrey, British Colombia, Taker always knew he wanted to be a hockey player, so he came all the way to Northern Indiana to keep playing. The senior defenseman, in his three years so far with the Irish, has played in a total of 112 games, amounting 29 points, and he’s only halfway through his senior season. Here’s the Two-Minute Power Play with Shayne Taker…
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “Captain Canuck.”
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Soccer.
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? 1970, because I love disco.
Who would play you in your biopic? Zayn Malik from One Direction.
What’s your favorite thing about Coach Jackson? He’s very personal. He’s good with one-on-one talk.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? I’d be Mario Lucia because I like to score goals, and he seems to magically score goals.
What would be the perfect day for you? Waking up at 10:00, playing “Call of Duty” for 6 hours, eating for 10 minutes, and playing “Call of Duty” for 6 hours.
When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up? A Hockey player. Grew up in Canada, so I had blinders on. There was never anything else I wanted to do.
If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? I’d buy a condo in Vancouver, which probably would cost a million dollars.
Do you have any superstitions? A lot. The way I put on my equipment, the way I skate in warm up—like the route I take—and the way I stretch. There’s a lot.
What is your favorite holiday? Halloween/Canadian Thanksgiving. They’re only two weeks apart, but I just like the leaves falling and the perfect temperature at that time.
What’s the best thing about home (Surrey, British Columbia)? It’s 15 minutes from Vancouver, and it’s 5 minutes from the beach, so it’s a nice balance between city and suburban life. Also, it’s very clean.
What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Birthday Cake. It’s a little sweet, but it’s so good.
What is your favorite song to listen to before games? “Reptile” by Skrillex
What was your favorite TV show when you were a kid? “Dragon Ball-Z.” I still watch it now.
What’s your biggest fear? Being late to workout. There’s a very severe punishment for that.
What surprises people most about you? I don’t know. I’ll say that I’m not too outgoing. A lot of people have this stigma for athletes that we like to party all the time, but I like to keep it low-key.
What is your favorite place in the entire world? There’s a nice dock on the beach by my house that outlooks the Pacific Ocean, and it’s really beautiful.
What is the best gift you’ve ever received? I’ve received two really good gifts: Last Christmas, my girlfriend gave me a Burberry watch. That was pretty good. And my last birthday, she came here for a week and a half.
What is the weirdest piece of clothing that you own? I just got a bow-tie online. The order was a mistake, but nonetheless, I have it.
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Advance To Round of 16 At NCAA Doubles Championship
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey May 25, 2016 Media Session
- W. Tennis. Gleason's Comeback Bid Falls Short In NCAA Singles First Round
- Baseball. Summer Ball Provides Key Development Opportunities For Players
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish, Hawkeyes To Meet In ACC-B1G Challenge
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- He sent the @penguins to #StanleyCup Final, but Bryan Rust STARTED at ND 2011: ND vs BC Rust ends OT in final sec. amp.twimg.com/v/79c1d4ff-3c3… 1 hour ago
- When you lead your team to #StanleyCup Final ND's Bryan Rust scored BOTH goals in @penguins 2-1 win vs Tampa Bay https://t.co/9WUCM0TLpl 3 hours ago
- 🎾 NCAA Doubles Championship Round 32:✔️ A. Lawson & Q. Monaghan advance to Round 16! READ: und.com/sports/m-tenni… https://t.co/N7X8u9MMw1 18 hours ago
- 👕 T-Shirts 🕶 Tank Tops ⚾️ Ball Caps ☀️ Check out our summer UA gear at shop.und.com https://t.co/ExYUec7zqK 21 hours ago
- #TBT to when @NDMensTennis beat #1 UNC Good luck Q. Monaghan & A. Lawson at NCAA Tourney Round 32 3pm| @NCAATennis https://t.co/YMTaoeBMTl 23 hours ago