Jan 24, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Your 2013-14 Captain for the Irish, senior Jeff Costello, definitely earned his role as captain. In his first three years with the Irish, Costello played in 105 games, amounting 60 points. Over the course of that time, he rose to leadership. Before the season began, Coach Jackson said of him, “When he speaks, the guys listen–because he’d probably tear their heads off if they didn’t.” Here’s your Two-Minute Power Play with senior captain Jeff Costello…
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “The Path of the Savage”
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Ping-pong
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? I’d go to the medieval times.
What actor would play you in your biopic? Probably Hugh Jackman. We’re pretty similar.
What’s your favorite meal? King Crab legs
What’s your favorite thing about Coach Jackson? I think just his knowledge of the game. He’s very impressive in the way he communicates to us.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? Adam Levine from Maroon 5, for sure. He’s a good-looking guy and looks like he’s got his life figured out.
If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? I would buy my parents a nice place wherever they wanted to live. And probably buy myself a few toys to play with, and then just save the rest for a rainy day.
Do you have a pre-game routine? Not really. Just show up, go to a few meetings, and start visualizing and focusing on the game.
What’s your favorite song to listen to before games? “Tidal Wave” by Sub Focus
What’s the best thing about your home state (Wisconsin)? The beer. Oh, and the cheese.
What’s your favorite spot on campus? I would say the grotto.
Favorite month of the year? June. School’s done. It’s warm out. No obligations.
What’s your favorite movie? Ever? That’s a hard question. “300.” Or “Wolverine.”
Would you rather be Jack Swarbrick or Fr. Jenkins for a day? I’d probably be Jack Swarbrick, because he’s obviously a very important person and he’s dealing with important people and issues. It’d be kind of cool to see what he does on a daily basis.
What’s your biggest fear? I fear nothing.
What was your favorite school subject when you were a kid? When I was a kid? It was math. Not so much anymore.
What surprises people most about you? That I’m tough on the outside, soft on the inside. I’m a big teddy bear.
What four people would you want to go golfing with? One would be Steve Yzerman. Two would be Abraham Lincoln. Three would be Michael Jordan. And number four would be the Dalai Lama.
What was the best lesson your parents ever taught you? To work hard, and be humble.
- Softball. Irish Resume With Wildcats In Evanston
- M. Lacrosse. Wynne Receives ACC Player Of The Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork And Petersen Share MVP Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Drop Season Finale To Clemson, 6-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Provides A Bright Spot In 5-2 Loss To Wake Forest
- Softball. Virginia Sweeps Irish With 10-6 Sunday Win
- Track. Irish Close Record-Setting Day at Baylor
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Earn No. 4 Seed In ACC Tournament
- M. Golf. Golfers Conclude ACCs in 10th
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Football ‘Process’ Ongoing
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Anna Rohrer ran her 1st 10K in April. She set ACC & @NDXCTF records. Ran fastest 10K of 2017 in the World. Donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- ☘ 765 Wins at ND 🏆 2001 @NCAA Champ 🏀 Naismith Hall of Famer Coach McGraw discusses her @ndwbb journey. Donate:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- The Man. The Myth. The Legend. 1988 NCAA title team coach Lou Holtz looks back at his @NDFootball career. Donate:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- 🏅 2 @ACCTrackField Titles ☘ @NDXCTF Record in 800m Jessica Harris shines in the 2017 Track & Field season. Donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- What's it like to compete in the Olympics? @NDRowing's FIRST Olympic Gold Medalist Amanda Polk knows! Watch/Donat… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago