Jan 24, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Anna Gonzalez, the official 2013-14 hockey beat writer for the Irish UNDerground blog, is currently a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame. Over the course of the year Anna will bring you insight from within the student section, interviews with Fighting Irish players and stories from inside the team circle. You can follow Anna (and the rest of the Notre Dame student beat writing staff) on twitter at @JrNDBloggers.
Your 2013-14 Captain for the Irish, senior Jeff Costello, definitely earned his role as captain. In his first three years with the Irish, Costello played in 105 games, amounting 60 points. Over the course of that time, he rose to leadership. Before the season began, Coach Jackson said of him, “When he speaks, the guys listen–because he’d probably tear their heads off if they didn’t.” Here’s your Two-Minute Power Play with senior captain Jeff Costello…
If someone wrote a book about you, what would it be called? “The Path of the Savage”
If you didn’t play hockey, what sport would you play? Ping-pong
If you had a time machine, when would you go to? I’d go to the medieval times.
What actor would play you in your biopic? Probably Hugh Jackman. We’re pretty similar.
What’s your favorite meal? King Crab legs
What’s your favorite thing about Coach Jackson? I think just his knowledge of the game. He’s very impressive in the way he communicates to us.
If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be? Adam Levine from Maroon 5, for sure. He’s a good-looking guy and looks like he’s got his life figured out.
If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it? I would buy my parents a nice place wherever they wanted to live. And probably buy myself a few toys to play with, and then just save the rest for a rainy day.
Do you have a pre-game routine? Not really. Just show up, go to a few meetings, and start visualizing and focusing on the game.
What’s your favorite song to listen to before games? “Tidal Wave” by Sub Focus
What’s the best thing about your home state (Wisconsin)? The beer. Oh, and the cheese.
What’s your favorite spot on campus? I would say the grotto.
Favorite month of the year? June. School’s done. It’s warm out. No obligations.
What’s your favorite movie? Ever? That’s a hard question. “300.” Or “Wolverine.”
Would you rather be Jack Swarbrick or Fr. Jenkins for a day? I’d probably be Jack Swarbrick, because he’s obviously a very important person and he’s dealing with important people and issues. It’d be kind of cool to see what he does on a daily basis.
What’s your biggest fear? I fear nothing.
What was your favorite school subject when you were a kid? When I was a kid? It was math. Not so much anymore.
What surprises people most about you? That I’m tough on the outside, soft on the inside. I’m a big teddy bear.
What four people would you want to go golfing with? One would be Steve Yzerman. Two would be Abraham Lincoln. Three would be Michael Jordan. And number four would be the Dalai Lama.
What was the best lesson your parents ever taught you? To work hard, and be humble.
- M. Lacrosse. Landis, Perkovic Pace Notre Dame on USILA All-America Squad
- Track. Barber & Bamgbose Advance to NCAA Championship
- M. Tennis. Lawson, Monaghan Advance To NCAA Quarterfinals
- M. Ice Hockey. Quest for the Stanley Cup Continues for Rust and Cole
- W. Soccer. Markgraf To Be First Woman To Call Top Men's Soccer Tournament On U.S. Television
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Advance To Round of 16 At NCAA Doubles Championship
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey May 25, 2016 Media Session
- W. Tennis. Gleason's Comeback Bid Falls Short In NCAA Singles First Round
- Baseball. Summer Ball Provides Key Development Opportunities For Players
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🍀Kaila Barber 🍀Margaret Bamgbose 🍀Carly Loeffel 🏅@NDXCTF NCAA Championship qualifiers READ: und.com/sports/c-track… https://t.co/XGZKlPMqpr 3 hours ago
- 🍀 Alex Lawson & Quentin Monaghan Seniors All-Americans NCAA Tourney Quarterfinalists READ: und.com/sports/m-tenni… https://t.co/5A7qv1RozL 20 hours ago
- #StanleyCup: 1 Series Away ND's Ian Cole & Bryan Rust advance to the Final w/ @penguins ➡️ und.com/sports/m-hocke… https://t.co/fZXwL47E35 23 hours ago
- He sent the @penguins to #StanleyCup Final, but Bryan Rust STARTED at ND 2011: ND vs BC Rust ends OT in final sec. amp.twimg.com/v/79c1d4ff-3c3… 1 day ago
- When you lead your team to #StanleyCup Final ND's Bryan Rust scored BOTH goals in @penguins 2-1 win vs Tampa Bay https://t.co/9WUCM0TLpl 1 day ago