Feb 18, 2014, 10:36 AM EST
After a month-long hiatus, our popular daily sports blog is back!
For those who have never read T.I.F.I. (Things I Found Interesting), it is a collection of stories from around the internet, my favorite tweets and a “Notre Dame-ish” video from the previous 24 hours, capped off by a trivia question. The trivia question will sometimes be prize worthy and I’ll always let you know if it is when the question is posed.
Before we get started, some bad news out of International soccer. Former Notre Dame forward Bright Dike was in line to be a member of the Nigerian National Team in the 2014 World Cup. Reports are that Dike has reportedly suffered a torn achilles tendon, presumably his third major injury since 2011. To read more, click here.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Football – 2014 Recruiting Class “most overlooked” (CSNChicago.com)
Although Notre Dame’s 2014 recruiting class wasn’t unanimously called a top-10 class by recruiting pundits around the country, they could possibly be the “most overlooked” class in this cycle. Mike Farrell goes on to talk about how the addition of DeShone Kizer and a wide variety of other Irish athletes are possible “gems” in the coming years.
“The class most overlooked this season is the one put together by Notre Dame. While it didn’t finish in the national top 10, the Fighting Irish helped themselves at many key positions including slot receiver, offensive line and defensive tackle. The big question is quarterback where DeShone Kizer is a few years away from being polished … I think Justin Brent makes the most immediate impact but long-term Quenton Nelson and Nyles Morgan have a chance to be very special.”
- 2. Women’s Basketball – Irish Roll Over Tech On Senior Day (The Observer)
Moving their “Senior Day” to the third-to-last game of the home slate, the Irish women figured it would make the game less emotional. For the second-straight season, the Irish women had to fight from behind before pulling away in a win over Georgia Tech. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Hockey – Lee Learns To Fight At Next Level (Blue & Gold)
A former Irish captain, Anders Lee has had his fair share of trials and tribulations in professional hockey. Having tasted the NHL life at the end of last season, Lee is currently sporting the sweater of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Men’s Basketball – Welcomed Home With Win (Washington Post)
Junior captain Pat Connaughton was welcomed back to Massachusetts by hundreds of family and friends and left with a 73-69 victory over Boston College for the squad’s first ACC road victory. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Football – Mayock’s NFL Draft Position Rankings (NFL.com)
As the NFL Draft approaches, the analysts are working double-time to put together lists of who is the best and what player will fit where. To see Mayock’s top-five at each position class, click the link above – and check out defensive tackle position.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
Wow. The Baylor Highlighters. Are those unis a tribute to Digger Phelps?
— Ted Mandell (@TedMandell) February 18, 2014
Even Baylor is sending an homage to Coach Phelps …
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
Matt Besler, a Notre Dame men’s soccer alum, recently won the MLS Cup and is currently a member of the United States Men’s National Team. He was invited to be on FoxSports1’s nightly show, Crowd Goes Wild.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
This year’s senior class of Natalie Achonwa, Kayla McBride and Ariel Braker have won a combined 126 games so far in their Irish careers, but they are not the top senior class in terms of wins … yet. Name the senior class and how many wins they totaled.
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
- Softball. #22/23 Irish Make First ACC Stop At North Carolina State
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Welcome UMass For Hockey East First Round
- Baseball. Streaking Irish Open ACC Play At Georgia Tech
- M. Tennis. No. 23 Irish Prep For ACC Play
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: ACC Legend Achonwa Told It Like It Was
- W. Tennis. Tennis Runs In The Family
- Softball. Irish Softball Strikeout Cancer Trivia Night Sponsorship Opportunities Available
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Pulls Away From Louisville, 71-59
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @MRBastedo: Game day in Greensboro! Make sure to tune in to @WatchND for all your @ndwbb ACC Tournament coverage! http://t.co/eP9d7xUVqi 42 minutes ago
- Everything you need to know about today's 2 pm ET @NDwbb game vs Miami in @theACC Tourney- ntrda.me/1M8Z41m #GoIrish #BeatHurricanes 55 minutes ago
- RT @LepLegion: Anyone still in town this weekend should head out to Compton to cheer on @NDHockey in the first round of the @hockey_east pl… 1 hour ago
- RT @NDTIX: http://t.co/x0btyLk203 1 hour ago
- DYK @UnderArmour has opened up a brand new store in Chicago! 600 N. Michigan Ave- see you there! #TeamUA http://t.co/FUFwglTDir 1 hour ago