WEDNESDAY’S T.I.F.I. – NDFB Adding to 2014, Mayock’s Mock, Connaughton’s Goals, Curling, Grassroot Soccer & More!
Feb 19, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
A rather ho-hum day around Notre Dame athletics as the Irish notched the defensive player of the week in Hockey East behind the stone wall of hockey goaltender Steven Summerhays who stopped 83 of 85 shots he faced in a three-point weekend against Providence, the co-ACC player of the week in men’s tennis with the fantastic play of captain Greg Andrews at the ITA National Indoors last weekend and Karley Wester tallied the softball squad’s first ACC honor when she was named ACC player of the week, batting .556, notching five hits, seven RBI, two stolen bases and three runs.
So, as I said, just another day around the hallowed halls of Notre Dame.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Football – A Look At The 2014 Class: DB/P (One Foot Down)
After a solid recruiting class signed with the Irish on National Signing Day a few weeks ago, the pundits are beginning to put together their analysis of each position class. Today, the bloggers at One Foot Down took a deeper look at the defensive back and punter class. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – Connaughton Has More To Accomplish (The Salem News)
Pat Connaughton returned to his home state of Massachusetts this past weekend and left with a win over Boston College. Connaughton has accomplished a variety of goals in his time at Notre Dame, both on the hardwood and toeing the rubber, but he has higher goals he has yet to achieve. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Mayock Evaluates Irish Draft Prospects (The Observer)
A variety of former Irish student-athletes are draft eligible this Spring. Yesterday, Mike Mayock held a press conference with the Irish football writers to go over each Irish player who has the opportunity to be drafted or play in the NFL this upcoming season. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. General – Preparing For 2018: Curling At Compton (Irish UNDerground)
Last week, the Compton Family Ice Arena gave a few members of the Irish Athletics staff the opportunity to try our hand at the Winter Olympics sport of curling. Click the link above to read and watch our fantastic attempts at throwing stones.
- 5. Football – Irish Nab Gators Transfer (UND.com)
University of Notre Dame head football coach Brian Kelly announced today that Cody Riggs will attend graduate school at the University and play for Fighting Irish this fall. Riggs will graduate with a degree in Family, Youth and Community Sciences from the University of Florida in May and join the Notre Dame program in June.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
— Mike Rose (@M_Rose_23) February 18, 2014
Former Notre Dame men’s soccer student-athletes Mike Rose and Greg Klazura are over in Zimbabwe for six months for an internship with Grassroot Soccer. Click here to read their most recent blog post …
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
Longtime Irish swimming coach Tim Welsh is retiring this year and he was celebrated at his final dual meet a few weeks ago. Coach Welsh is someone who, even if he doesn’t know you, always takes the time to say “hi.” Over the past five years I have had the great opportunity to be around Coach Welsh on multiple occasions and he truly is what “Notre Dame” is all about.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
The men’s basketball team plays the second game of their three-game road trip tonight in Miami, Fla. The question is, when was the last time the Irish played three consecutive games on the road in the regular season?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Yesterday’s Question: Name the women’s basketball senior class with the most wins in their four-year career with the Irish. Answer: 130 wins over four years by the senior class of Skylar Diggins and Kaila Turner. Congrats to Joe Reimers and Ross Goetz for correctly answering the question.
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
- M. Ice Hockey. Leivermann And Hellickson Selected In The 2017 NHL Draft
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #4 - How hyped @NDFootball & @Browns QB DeShone Kizer is on game day. 👀@DKizer_14 https://t.co/lRwIh5OQOE 1 hour ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #4 - @NDHockey's Ian Cole & Bryan Rust became back-to-back Stanley Cup Champs with… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #5 - @NDBaseball’s Trey Mancini homers in his MLB debut for the @Orioles. ⁰READ… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #5 - @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw named to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer und.com/sports/m-socce… 20 hours ago