THURSDAY’S T.I.F.I. – Talkin’ Shipp, @NDwbb’s Senior Stats, Snow, An Old Coach Brey Commercial & More!
Feb 20, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
Thursday is another big day for Irish athletics as the softball squad double dips for two games, the women’s swimming and diving squad continues to thrive in the pool at the ACC Championships while the men’s team begins their quest to send Coach Welsh out with conference title. The women’s basketball team traveled to Winston-Salem, N.C., last night in preparation for tonight’s contest with Wake Forest at 7 p.m. (ET) and the Irish baseball squad caps of the busy day for Notre Dame with an 8 p.m. (CT) first pitch against Santa Clara down in San Antonio, Texas.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Another Honor For Shipp (Chicagoland Soccer)
After being named a MAC-Hermann Trophy finalist and captaining the Irish to an NCAA Championship, Harrison Shipp was not done with his trophy haul. Click the link above to read about Shipp’s ACC Scholar Athlete of the Year recognition.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – A Different Kind Of Loss (Chicago Tribune)
After winning two-consecutive games, the Irish traveled down to Miami (Fla.) to take on the Hurricanes. Trailing for most of the game, the Irish valiantly attempted to come back at the end on the back of Pat Connaughton and Demetrius Jackson. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Football – Three-Year Itch (Irish Eyes)
Irish Eyes takes a look at a triumvirate of Irish student-athletes who will be juniors once the 2014 season begins in August and are looking to make a splash next season. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Basketball – Seven Senior Stats (In The Paint)
The trio of senior women’s basketball student-athletes, Natalie Achonwa, Kayla McBride and Ariel Braker, have not only carried on the grand legacy of Irish women’s basketball, but they have paved their own path. What they have accomplished is staggering, and the numbers are downright gaudy. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Football – Niklas Is A Man With A Plan (OC Register)
Former Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas announced he was foregoing his final year of NCAA eligibility to make himself available in the 2014 NFL Draft. It is all just another part of the plan for “Hercules.” Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
Last day for you, snow pile. You had a great run, but it's over. pic.twitter.com/cJfTh0p1fy
— Pat Forde (@YahooForde) February 20, 2014
It seems that excitement is abound all across the country, not just in South Bend, Ind.
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
I wasn’t planning on doing any plugs to buy tickets on here, but this commercial from a few years back is just too good to pass up. Oh yeah, If you want to purchase any tickets for our events just head over to UND.com/BuyTickets.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
With Harrison Shipp notching the ACC Men’s Soccer Scholar-Athlete of the Year award, the question is, who was the last Irish men’s soccer player to cop that award while a member of the BIG EAST?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Yesterday’s Question: When was the last time the Irish men’s basketball team played three consecutive games on the road in the regular season? ANSWER: 2011
- M. Ice Hockey. Leivermann And Hellickson Selected In The 2017 NHL Draft
- Track & Field. Harris Named Academic All-American
- Swimming & Diving. Smart Swimmers' Success Saluted
- Track & Field. Irish Compete at USA Track & Field Championships
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Earns Five National Awards
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #6 - @NDWomensLax squad proves they're #1 in sideline celebrations. https://t.co/JOiQd4WEaz 6 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #6 - ND ➡️ FROZEN FOUR Andrew Oglevie's OT goal vs. UMass Lowell sent @NDHockey t… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #6 - Sisters and Teammates. Karley, Ali and Riley Wester carry on a family legacy… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Photos #6 - DeShone Meets Durant @NDFootball QB DeShone Kizer met 2017 NBA Champ Kevin Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #6 - Catherine Mulquin sets, then breaks 100-yard @NDWSwimDive backstroke record. und.com/sports/c-swim/… 13 hours ago