Feb 21, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
Today, the world (more specifically, the United States) turns to the sport of hockey for a mere three hours as we take on our friends from up north, the “Fighting Achonwa’s/Rae’s” (i.e. Canada).
Throughout the day you can catch many different Irish athletic events, from baseball to softball to women’s tennis and both swimming and diving teams. The night will be capped off the Irish hockey squad taking on Boston University at the Compton Family Irish Arena at 7:05 p.m. (ET). The game can be seen on NBC Sports Network.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Football – Irish At The Combine (News-Sentinel)
As the NFL Combine gets underway with player interviews and measurables, Reggie Hayes of the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel does a nice job of compiling the Notre Dame participants and speaking about each one. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Women’s Basketball – Irish Run Streak To 26-0 (Chicago Tribune)
The Irish women’s basketball team continued their assault on the ACC as they traveled down to Winston-Salem, N.C., to take on Wake Forest. The outcome is what we have all come to expect from the women’s basketball squad, a strong victory. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Hockey – Seniors Stay Focused (Irish Illustrated)
The Irish hockey squad has a plethora of senior talent on this year’s squad as the number reaches into the double digits. The seniors have helped keep the Irish together this season through an up and down campaign that has seen both winning streaks and scoring droughts. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Martin Emphasizes Ability At Tackle (Blue & Gold)
A two-time captain with the football squad, Zach Martin has been widely considered one of the more interesting prospects in this year’s NFL Draft. Many Draft pundits have lauded his abilities on the field, yet are hesitant to stake claim that he can be an every down offensive tackle. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Women’s Basketball – Geno Is Right … His Team Is Fragile (The Day)
This article compares the Irish and the Huskies by looking at their bench depth. The author of the piece goes as far as saying he likes Justin Bieber more than Notre Dame, yet still finds a way to complement the Irish on numerous occasions. Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
My attire for the day. Let's do this 🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/3R0Sm1u5i3
— Mike Golic Jr (@MGolicJR57) February 21, 2014
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
I think I can leave this video here and just say, “USA! USA! USA!”
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
Name the starting five for the Irish women’s basketball in the NCAA Championship game vs. Purdue in 2001.
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in Monday’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Yesterday’s Question: With Harrison Shipp notching the ACC Men’s Soccer Scholar-Athlete of the Year award, the question is, who was the last Irish men’s soccer player to cop that award while a member of the BIG EAST? ANSWER: Grant Van De Casteele copped the BIG EAST Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year in 2013 and Adam Mena took home the men’s soccer award in 2012.
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC
- M. Ice Hockey. Burke Named Big Ten’s Third Star
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Bestows Honorary Monograms On O'Neill And Thesing
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team FWAA All-Americans
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Up To #3 In Both Polls
- W. Tennis. Robinson Snares First Career Professional Crown
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Did you miss Monday's @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show presented by @Tire_Rack? Catch up now, @ndwbb fans! 🔗… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- ✅ First-Team FWAA All-Americans McGlinchey and Nelson are the FIRST pair of @NDFootball offensive linemen to garne… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- When @ShannonBoxx7 started her @NDSoccer career, her journey began to empower women in soccer. #GoIrish https://t.co/YiD5V8izAu 9 hours ago
- Former @NDWomensTennis captain Monica Robinson earned her first career pro title by winning the ITF Digicall Future… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- FOUR members of @NDXCTF's Class of 2022 earned top-12 finishes at the high school cross country national championsh… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago