Feb 21, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Today, the world (more specifically, the United States) turns to the sport of hockey for a mere three hours as we take on our friends from up north, the “Fighting Achonwa’s/Rae’s” (i.e. Canada).
Throughout the day you can catch many different Irish athletic events, from baseball to softball to women’s tennis and both swimming and diving teams. The night will be capped off the Irish hockey squad taking on Boston University at the Compton Family Irish Arena at 7:05 p.m. (ET). The game can be seen on NBC Sports Network.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Football – Irish At The Combine (News-Sentinel)
As the NFL Combine gets underway with player interviews and measurables, Reggie Hayes of the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel does a nice job of compiling the Notre Dame participants and speaking about each one. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Women’s Basketball – Irish Run Streak To 26-0 (Chicago Tribune)
The Irish women’s basketball team continued their assault on the ACC as they traveled down to Winston-Salem, N.C., to take on Wake Forest. The outcome is what we have all come to expect from the women’s basketball squad, a strong victory. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Hockey – Seniors Stay Focused (Irish Illustrated)
The Irish hockey squad has a plethora of senior talent on this year’s squad as the number reaches into the double digits. The seniors have helped keep the Irish together this season through an up and down campaign that has seen both winning streaks and scoring droughts. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Martin Emphasizes Ability At Tackle (Blue & Gold)
A two-time captain with the football squad, Zach Martin has been widely considered one of the more interesting prospects in this year’s NFL Draft. Many Draft pundits have lauded his abilities on the field, yet are hesitant to stake claim that he can be an every down offensive tackle. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Women’s Basketball – Geno Is Right … His Team Is Fragile (The Day)
This article compares the Irish and the Huskies by looking at their bench depth. The author of the piece goes as far as saying he likes Justin Bieber more than Notre Dame, yet still finds a way to complement the Irish on numerous occasions. Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
My attire for the day. Let's do this 🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/3R0Sm1u5i3
— Mike Golic Jr (@MGolicJR57) February 21, 2014
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
I think I can leave this video here and just say, “USA! USA! USA!”
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
Name the starting five for the Irish women’s basketball in the NCAA Championship game vs. Purdue in 2001.
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in Monday’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Yesterday’s Question: With Harrison Shipp notching the ACC Men’s Soccer Scholar-Athlete of the Year award, the question is, who was the last Irish men’s soccer player to cop that award while a member of the BIG EAST? ANSWER: Grant Van De Casteele copped the BIG EAST Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year in 2013 and Adam Mena took home the men’s soccer award in 2012.
- Track. Irish Geared For NCAA East Preliminary Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish Host Ohio State In Big Ten/ACC Women's Basketball Challenge
- Fencing. I Am Strong, If You Are Strong: A Tribute to Billy Meckling
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Baseball Sees Big Jump Up the Curve
- Softball. Irish Great Koerner Inks Contract With USSSA Pride
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo's First Season Set Tone For Irish Soccer
- Baseball. Baseball In NCAA Regionals For First Time Since 2006
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Falls In NCAA Singles Championship Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Men's Lax Drops Out Of NCAA Title Chase By Slimmest Of Margins
- Baseball. No. 20 Irish Fall To No. 6 Miami, 6-5, In Wild Finish
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Proud to stand with our partner, Bank of America, in support of @SpecialOlympics. #PassTheFlame #UnifiedRelay twitter.com/bofa_community… 32 minutes ago
- A border rivalry in the making ... twitter.com/ndwbb/status/6… 6 hours ago
- Can you hear them coming? ⚾️@NDBaseball is ready to make some noise in the NCAA Championship. http://t.co/iRrj5uwrtK 22 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 http://t.co/My1OKMFxMn 2 days ago
- The Boys are Back in the NCAA's! For the 1st time since 2006, @NDBaseball is dancing. http://t.co/CLPsZsY27B 2 days ago