Feb 21, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Today, the world (more specifically, the United States) turns to the sport of hockey for a mere three hours as we take on our friends from up north, the “Fighting Achonwa’s/Rae’s” (i.e. Canada).
Throughout the day you can catch many different Irish athletic events, from baseball to softball to women’s tennis and both swimming and diving teams. The night will be capped off the Irish hockey squad taking on Boston University at the Compton Family Irish Arena at 7:05 p.m. (ET). The game can be seen on NBC Sports Network.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Football – Irish At The Combine (News-Sentinel)
As the NFL Combine gets underway with player interviews and measurables, Reggie Hayes of the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel does a nice job of compiling the Notre Dame participants and speaking about each one. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Women’s Basketball – Irish Run Streak To 26-0 (Chicago Tribune)
The Irish women’s basketball team continued their assault on the ACC as they traveled down to Winston-Salem, N.C., to take on Wake Forest. The outcome is what we have all come to expect from the women’s basketball squad, a strong victory. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Hockey – Seniors Stay Focused (Irish Illustrated)
The Irish hockey squad has a plethora of senior talent on this year’s squad as the number reaches into the double digits. The seniors have helped keep the Irish together this season through an up and down campaign that has seen both winning streaks and scoring droughts. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Martin Emphasizes Ability At Tackle (Blue & Gold)
A two-time captain with the football squad, Zach Martin has been widely considered one of the more interesting prospects in this year’s NFL Draft. Many Draft pundits have lauded his abilities on the field, yet are hesitant to stake claim that he can be an every down offensive tackle. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Women’s Basketball – Geno Is Right … His Team Is Fragile (The Day)
This article compares the Irish and the Huskies by looking at their bench depth. The author of the piece goes as far as saying he likes Justin Bieber more than Notre Dame, yet still finds a way to complement the Irish on numerous occasions. Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
My attire for the day. Let's do this 🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/3R0Sm1u5i3
— Mike Golic Jr (@MGolicJR57) February 21, 2014
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
I think I can leave this video here and just say, “USA! USA! USA!”
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
Name the starting five for the Irish women’s basketball in the NCAA Championship game vs. Purdue in 2001.
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in Monday’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Yesterday’s Question: With Harrison Shipp notching the ACC Men’s Soccer Scholar-Athlete of the Year award, the question is, who was the last Irish men’s soccer player to cop that award while a member of the BIG EAST? ANSWER: Grant Van De Casteele copped the BIG EAST Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year in 2013 and Adam Mena took home the men’s soccer award in 2012.
- M. Ice Hockey. #3/4 Irish Fall in Overtime to Penn State
- M. Tennis. Irish Play Into Quarterfinal Rounds At ITA Regional
- Swimming & Diving. No.14 Fighting Irish Stay Undefeated in Season Beating No.22 Georgia Tech in First Dual ACC Meet
- W. Rowing. Club Four Claims Third At Head of the Charles
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Leads #3/4 Irish To Comeback Tie
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for Fighting Irish in Day 1 of Dual Meet Against No. 22 Georgia Tech
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish End Road Trip With 2-1 Defeat In Double Overtime At Duke
- M. Tennis. Irish Impress In First Rounds Of ITA Regional Play
- W. Volleyball. Irish Sweep Pitt in Strong Performance on the Road
- W. Tennis. Irish Stand Tall At ITA And IU Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ON THIS DAY: 1977 #11 @NDFootball dominated #5 USC 49-19 in the famed "Green Jersey Game". ND would go on to win… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 14 hours ago
- ☘️ ACC SWEEP @NDVolleyball downs Pitt 3-0, led by sophomore Rebecca Nunge's team-high 10 kills on 25 attempts. ➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 19 hours ago
- ☘️ To compete with the best you need the best equipment. See ND's cutting edge weight room with @NDFootball. https://t.co/0rbg5Ap7SH 1 day ago
- With @NDXCTF 4x NCAA champ Molly Seidel has logged 14,000+ miles. Equivalent to running from ND ➡️Taj Mahal & back. https://t.co/gW23X2MBqW 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📆 THIS WEEKEND @NDHockey takes on Penn State at home in Compton Family Ice Arena. Fri. | 7:35pm Sat. | 7:05pm TIX:htt… 1 day ago