Feb 25, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
There were no Notre Dame athletic events going on yesterday, but the Irish did haul in another three weekly honors from the Conference and National offices. Steven Summerhays notched yet another Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week award after shutting out Boston University in both games last weekend, Jewell Loyd copped both National and ACC honors after her stellar play on the hardwood and women’s lacrosse student-athlete Cortney Fortunato was honored as the National Freshman of the Week.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Women’s Swimming – Reaney Now The Hunted (South Bend Tribune)
After an American Record swim in the 200-yard breaststroke, junior Irish swimmer Emma Reaney has become the focal point of this Irish squad and has leapt to the forefront of national swimming news. Click the link above to read more about Reaney from a fantastic article by Al Lesar.
- 2. Football – Sizing Up The D-Line (Comcast SportsNet)
With the loss of Louis Nix III, Stephon Tuitt, Kona Schwenke and more, the Irish will look to a younger group of D-Liners to carry the load. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Women’s Basketball – McBride Steps Up (South Bend Tribune)
Although Kayla McBride is a senior captain, she is seen as just another player on her current team due to the tremendous amount of depth that Coach McGraw’s squad holds. Great players do exactly as McBride did on Sunday, when their team needs them they find a way to get the win. Click the link above to read more.
- 4. Football – Spring Predictions: No. 4 (ESPN.com)
ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna continues his predictions for the Irish spring practices. Today, he talks about what you should expect from the Irish running back corps. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Women’s Lacrosse – Fortunato Finds Early Success (The Observer)
The Irish women’s lacrosse squad nabbed top-ranked recruit Cortney Fortunato a few years back, now that she is on campus, she is striving in just her first year of competition. Click the link above to read more.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
Not sticking my broad jump. #BestPartOfCombineExperience 🍀🍫
— lOUIS NIX III (@1IrishChocolate) February 25, 2014
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
This isn’t the best quality video, but it let’s you see Emma Reaney’s record-setting swim at the ACC Championship in the 200 breaststroke.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
With one more victory, men’s basketball coach Mike Brey will notch his 300th win at Notre Dame. Can you name the other Notre Dame men’s basketball coaches with 300 or more wins at the University?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Yesterday’s Question: With football offensive lineman Zach Martin slated to go in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, the question is simple. Who was the last Notre Dame student-athlete to be drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft as an offensive lineman? ANSWER: Jeff Faine
- Track. Irish Geared For NCAA East Preliminary Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish Host Ohio State In Big Ten/ACC Women's Basketball Challenge
- Fencing. I Am Strong, If You Are Strong: A Tribute to Billy Meckling
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Baseball Sees Big Jump Up the Curve
- Softball. Irish Great Koerner Inks Contract With USSSA Pride
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo's First Season Set Tone For Irish Soccer
- Baseball. Baseball In NCAA Regionals For First Time Since 2006
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Falls In NCAA Singles Championship Semifinal
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Men's Lax Drops Out Of NCAA Title Chase By Slimmest Of Margins
- Baseball. No. 20 Irish Fall To No. 6 Miami, 6-5, In Wild Finish
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A border rivalry in the making ... twitter.com/ndwbb/status/6… 4 hours ago
- Can you hear them coming? ⚾️@NDBaseball is ready to make some noise in the NCAA Championship. http://t.co/iRrj5uwrtK 20 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 http://t.co/My1OKMFxMn 1 day ago
- The Boys are Back in the NCAA's! For the 1st time since 2006, @NDBaseball is dancing. http://t.co/CLPsZsY27B 2 days ago
- What a Year! @NDMensTennis student-athlete Quentin Monaghan's season ends just one step shy of the NCAA Title Match. http://t.co/sMS2KVBb70 3 days ago