Mar 11, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Honors upon honors rolled in Monday and Tuesday for Notre Dame student-athletes and coaches.
Eric Atkins copped third-team all-ACC honors while fellow captain Pat Connaughton received honorable mention praise.
On the women’s side, the team dominated the announcements. Jewell Loyd was selected on both the ACC all-defensive team and a first-team all-ACC standout. Kayla McBride joined Loyd on the all-ACC first team on Monday before netting ACC Player of the Year honors (as voted on by coaches) on Tuesday morning. Natalie Achonwa rounded out the Irish awards by being named second-team all-ACC. Coach McGraw was selected by the ACC coaches as Coach of the Year on Tuesday as well.
To cap off the honors this week for Irish student-athletes, Laura Winter was named the ACC Pitcher of the Week on Monday after tossing a pair of shutouts at Georgia Tech, scattering five hits over 12 innings, striking out 19 en route to a 2-0 weekend record.
Before we get on to the stories from today, Anders Lee is at it again in the NHL, netting his fifth goal of the year since being recently called up.
Now, what did we miss …
- 1. Football – Farley In New Position (Journal Gazette)
Tony Krausz of The Journal Gazette had the opportunity to talk with Matthias Farley during the first week of spring practice to hear about how the senior defensive back was dealing with moving from safety to corner. Click the link above to learn more.
- 2. Women’s Basketball – UConn Fans Should Root For ND (Daily Campus)
Notre Dame – UConn has become the rivalry in women’s basketball. The two are joined at the hip and have played some of the best games in recent memory on the hardwood. Coming from the student paper at Connecticut, they say that their fans should be rooting for Notre Dame. Why you ask? Click the link above to find out.
- 3. Hockey – NCAA Bracketology (SB Nation)
The Irish discarded Boston University for the third time this season in the opening round of the Hockey East playoffs last weekend, moving on to the second round against arch-rival Boston College. Where do the Irish currently sit in the ever-important PairWise ranking? And where could we see the Irish land come selection time? Read more at the link above to find out.
TWEET THAT MADE ME CHUCKLE
Throughout the year, Rachel Murphy of @JrNDBloggers has been taking “selfies” when she sees famous Notre Dame student-athletes, both past and present and has deemed it “selfie journalism.”
Take a look at Rachel’s year in Notre Dame athletics through a few random tweets (the most recent one was taken last Saturday at a local breakfast establishment).
— Jr. ND Bloggers (@JrNDBloggers) March 8, 2014
— Jr. ND Bloggers (@JrNDBloggers) February 23, 2014
— Jr. ND Bloggers (@JrNDBloggers) November 28, 2013
— Jr. ND Bloggers (@JrNDBloggers) November 24, 2013
NOTRE DAME-ISH VIDEO OF THE DAY
The “Voice of Notre Dame Athletics” Jack Nolan took a tumble a few years ago during a second round game in the NCAA Championship. It was hilarious at the time (and still is), but Jack’s ability to take the Scott Martin hit and get up and start announcing again was fantastic.
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE DAY
Question: The Notre Dame men’s basketball team left for the ACC Tournament late last night, so let’s look at men’s hoops. Who is the all-time leading scorer in program history in the modern era of college basketball (played all four years with three-point line)?
The answer to today’s trivia question will be found in tomorrow’s edition of Things I Found Interesting.
Monday’s Question: The Irish women’s basketball team have now won two conference titles in a row (2013 in the BIG EAST and 2014 in the ACC). When was the last time the Irish women won back-to-back Conference Tournament titles? Answer: First time with two conference titles in a row since they won four consecutive Midwestern Collegiate Conference (now Horizon League) titles from 1989-92.
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago