Mar 13, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Grant Beachy (@GrantBeachy) is a freelance photographer from Goshen (Ind.) who had the opportunity to shoot a variety Notre Dame events this year. A former touring drummer, Beachy has owned his own recording studio, Electric Angel Studios, since 2005. In addition to recording, mixing and mastering audio tracks, Beachy has begun a career in photography. You can find more of his work at ElectricAngelPhotography.com.
I’m a newbie when it comes to Notre Dame. Growing up I loved cross-country, track and my Iowa Hawkeyes, but after high school I joined a band, toured the world and then started a recording studio. My immersion in that culture effectively eliminated my involvement with sports on a regular basis. I could tell you the intricacies of song structure or a beautiful melody, but BCS rankings have been mostly lost on me. In the last five years I’ve moved to Goshen, Ind., and taken up photography. That has allowed me to see Notre Dame and it’s culture from an observer’s standpoint. It’s been a great experience! The dedication and loyalty to Notre Dame from its fans is rarely matched. When I was given the opportunity to shoot the Bengal Bouts, I jumped at the idea.
I walked into the experience knowing that I would be starting from scratch. I knew nobody and nobody knew who the guy in the hat with the cameras was either. The thing that struck me was the friendliness that was shown and the sportsmanship in general. People were there to support and cheer for their friends, boxers hugged after a hard fought bout and other photographers were nice about giving me a bit of room to shoot from. Most everyone seemed to know everyone, and there was a real camaraderie. I mostly hung out around the edges and tried to capture what I saw. I wanted to put together a set of photos that were poetic, classic and brutal. Hopefully it was successful. I had ringside access to the first three rounds, and for the championship round I put the camera down and just watched.
Here is a photo journey through the first 3 rounds in no particular order, but designed to tell the story I saw. Thanks to Dave Brown and Bengal Bouts for the opportunity, and I’m looking forward to next year!
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Brauer Signs With South Carolina Stingrays
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✔️ ACC All-American 📚 ✔️ @NotreDame theology grad 🎓 ✔️ NCAA Outdoor Championships competitor 👟 Now, @NDXCTF's Je… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 57 minutes ago
- RT for a chance to win! ☝️ night at the @MorrisInnND ✌️ @NDmbb tickets 🎟 When you come to campus to catch the Iri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- 9️⃣ new skaters, 1️⃣ stellar freshman class. Meet the new @NDHockey student-athletes you'll love watching on the i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- The #NDFamily is everywhere! 🇪🇸 As @NDLacrosse took in the sights of Madrid, @NotreDame alum Matthew Kineen taught… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 Best Team ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Moment ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Play ☑️ @ndwbb Yep, you know who we're voting for. Give… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago