Mar 13, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Grant Beachy (@GrantBeachy) is a freelance photographer from Goshen (Ind.) who had the opportunity to shoot a variety Notre Dame events this year. A former touring drummer, Beachy has owned his own recording studio, Electric Angel Studios, since 2005. In addition to recording, mixing and mastering audio tracks, Beachy has begun a career in photography. You can find more of his work at ElectricAngelPhotography.com.
I’m a newbie when it comes to Notre Dame. Growing up I loved cross-country, track and my Iowa Hawkeyes, but after high school I joined a band, toured the world and then started a recording studio. My immersion in that culture effectively eliminated my involvement with sports on a regular basis. I could tell you the intricacies of song structure or a beautiful melody, but BCS rankings have been mostly lost on me. In the last five years I’ve moved to Goshen, Ind., and taken up photography. That has allowed me to see Notre Dame and it’s culture from an observer’s standpoint. It’s been a great experience! The dedication and loyalty to Notre Dame from its fans is rarely matched. When I was given the opportunity to shoot the Bengal Bouts, I jumped at the idea.
I walked into the experience knowing that I would be starting from scratch. I knew nobody and nobody knew who the guy in the hat with the cameras was either. The thing that struck me was the friendliness that was shown and the sportsmanship in general. People were there to support and cheer for their friends, boxers hugged after a hard fought bout and other photographers were nice about giving me a bit of room to shoot from. Most everyone seemed to know everyone, and there was a real camaraderie. I mostly hung out around the edges and tried to capture what I saw. I wanted to put together a set of photos that were poetic, classic and brutal. Hopefully it was successful. I had ringside access to the first three rounds, and for the championship round I put the camera down and just watched.
Here is a photo journey through the first 3 rounds in no particular order, but designed to tell the story I saw. Thanks to Dave Brown and Bengal Bouts for the opportunity, and I’m looking forward to next year!
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Nominee
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey Press Conference - October 19, 2017
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Honor Seniors, Take On #15 Duke Friday
- W. Volleyball. Sunshine State Bound: The Irish Are Set To Play FSU And Miami This Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Swimming & Diving Welcomes Georgia Tech on Friday
- W. Basketball. Irish Selected as ACC Preseason Favorites Once Again
- Football. Notre Dame-USC Preview: The Unrivaled Rivalry
- M. Lacrosse. NYC Networking Trip Up Next On Notre Dame Lacrosse Fall Experience
- M. Tennis. Irish Set To Compete At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Trio to Represent Irish at ACC Media Day
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's never been more dramatic than it is today. On Saturday, @NDFootball & USC showdown for the Shillelagh Trophy… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- "I can't wait to send USC back to LA [...] with a big loss." Mayor @PeteButtigieg is ready for @NDFootball gameday… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- "Any time you get to play SC, especially at our place, it's a special game." Saturday, @NDFootball takes its shot.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- One team, one town -- gameday and every day. Thank you for your service, @SouthBendFire. #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/d81wSlXXPu 3 hours ago
- Your weekend ✅list continues with four more stops off the beaten path @NotreDame. #GoIrish https://t.co/issrNnW2OA 4 hours ago